King of Fighters 97 Global Match Physical Coming 2/22 via Limited Run Games to PS4/Vita

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
DzZMMgHX4AAqy7g.jpg:large

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
That is fucking ridiculous! A shockbox for your ps4/psvita...

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Are you fucking kidding? Fuck no to this obvious pull at NeoGeo collectards.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Fucking 97? It's like a half finished beta of 98. It's broken as shit.

kei_dash

n00b
1x 50GB BluRay for KOF97 only?
Will there be KOF98/XX later?
I love the softbox item (softbox NOT Shockbox!) but it would have been better to have a proper "KOF Collection" with a lot of extras.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I will never understand the endless fascination some people have with '97. It's the neither-fish-nor-foul entry of the series. '98 is much better gameplay-wise, and '96 is much better aesthetically. '97 is mediocre. At best. It's the one in the middle that excels at NOTHING.

Maybe I'm not sufficiently jaded yet, but I do like the idea of the shockbox. It's a funny idea and looks nice. Just not for this game. The only Neo-Geo KOF I would like less than this one would be '99. Every other entry, including '03 and '94, I would choose over '97 in a New York minute.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I could support a KOF collection encompasing the whole series as a release in a repro home cart case but a shockbox? That was fan made.

I hate on these ultra mega deluxe releases of games with their useless shelf appeal garbage. The manufactured rarity Limited run games peddles has a lot to answer for.

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
At this stage you could pump a shit into a snap lock case, call it king of fighters 2019 and people would buy it.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I'm going to be a little more clear on what I feel about this.

It's a cash grab to me 100%.

If they really wanted my attention they should have done at least KoF 98'. This collection is being aimed at NeoGeo fans which I'm fine with to a point but they could have gone full in and done a Neo*Geo KoF collection from 94' to the last KoF game made for SNK's hardware.

I would have accepted that 100% but just one game to me smells like they're going to milk this shit for multiple titles so you can have fake NGH shockboxes on your shelf to make yourself feel like you own the original SNK home carts.

Yeah fuck this thing to hell...

@Gohan and STK: I actually liked KoF 97's presentation. It sorta grew on me over the years.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I will never understand the endless fascination some people have with '97. It's the neither-fish-nor-foul entry of the series. '98 is much better gameplay-wise, and '96 is much better aesthetically. '97 is mediocre. At best. It's the one in the middle that excels at NOTHING.

People like that overly serious Orochi storyline, and also Shermie's tits.

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Hope they release KoF 2002 UM in limited edition!Best KoF!

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I like 97, it is a cool game and the background music/sound effects are the best of the series. I don't play it competitively so maybe it is broken af.

But LRG can DIAF.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

Haha he must be trolling. 97 felt to me like a non committed entry. The backrounds where at best boring with a lazy festival vibe to them.
The problem up until (but not including) 2K1 where with the odd numbered KOFs. Even though 95 saw Iori enter the fray for instance, to me it was very tame in contrast to what 94 proposed.
And the less we talk about 99 the better. Even though K a brilliant character.
2K was not great but the presentation and strikers made it charming
Not a big fan of 98 graphics or presentation but whatever, it's a brilliant game. Graphically I personally think it peaked with 96 though the first 2 entries had excellent backrounds

Last edited:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Not trolling, and I am only referring to the ambient sounds and music. I thought they were really well done and memorable.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Not trolling, and I am only referring to the ambient sounds and music. I thought they were really well done and memorable.

I know I keep an ear out for the ambient sounds when playing KOF, good times.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Haha he must be trolling. 97 felt to me like a non committed entry. The backrounds where at best boring with a lazy festival vibe to them.
The problem up until (but not including) 2K1 where with the odd numbered KOFs. Even though 95 saw Iori enter the fray for instance, to me it was very tame in contrast to what 94 proposed.
And the less we talk about 99 the better. Even though K a brilliant character.
2K was not great but the presentation and strikers made it charming
Not a big fan of 98 graphics or presentation but whatever, it's a brilliant game. Graphically I personally think it peaked with 96 though the first 2 entries had excellent backrounds

94 is for the SNKJorges of the world
95 is for the wasabis of the world
96 is for the Lachlans of the world
97 is for...well, I used to know a guy, who I thought I respected...maybe he's OK now...but it's for him and his kind, and the music-less backgrounds and that one Disney-background

King of Fighters, man. God bless SNK. They pumped one out every year. Good or bad, I'm glad they all exist.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

I liked the arrange Sound track in KoF 97 better then the original.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
I like 97, it is a cool game and the background music/sound effects are the best of the series. I don't play it competitively so maybe it is broken af.

KOF97 is one of my favorite KOFs. Agreed on the music and sound effects, Rhythmic Hallucination is great. Also really like Orochi Chris and the Orochi team in general.

Kid Fenris

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
Maybe I'm not sufficiently jaded yet, but I do like the idea of the shockbox. It's a funny idea and looks nice. Just not for this game. The only Neo-Geo KOF I would like less than this one would be '99. Every other entry, including '03 and '94, I would choose over '97 in a New York minute.

Yeah, I'm amused by the idea of a shockbox for a Vita game, of all things. Fifty bucks, though? They didn't even throw in a soundtrack CD like every other Special Limited Collectors Super Exclusive Boob Mousepad Nerdbait Edition does these days.