RIP Bruno Ganz

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Bruno Ganz, dead from cancer at 77

Bruno Ganz, Who Played Adolf Hitler In ‘Downfall,’ Dead At 77
The Swiss actor’s portrayal of the Nazi German dictator spawned countless internet parodies.

Bruno Ganz, the Swiss actor who portrayed Adolf Hitler in Oscar-nominated film Downfall," has died.

Bruno Ganz, the Swiss actor who portrayed Adolf Hitler in Oscar-nominated film “Downfall,” has died.
ZURICH, Feb 16 (Reuters) - Bruno Ganz, the Swiss actor who portrayed Adolf Hitler in Oscar-nominated film “Downfall” and the kindly grandfather in “Heidi,” died of cancer at his home in Zurich on Saturday, aged 77, his agent said.

Ganz had been active in German language theater, film and television for more than 50 years and was the holder of the Iffland-Ring, the most important award for German-speaking actors.

“One of the most important actors of our times goes, his brilliant work remains. We mourn with the family and friends of Bruno Ganz,” German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said in a tweet.

Born to a Swiss mechanic father and a northern Italian mother, Ganz grew up in Zurich and decided to become an actor after a friendly lighting technician allowed him into a local theater. It was not an easy path, with his family opposed to his career choice. “As a boy I was morbidly shy,” he recalled in one interview.

"Downfall" dramatized the last days of the Nazi dictator in the Berlin bunker, one of Germany's first attempts to dramatized the last days of the Nazi dictator in the Berlin bunker, one of Germany’s first attempts to characterize the Fuehrer in film.
As a teenager Ganz dropped out of school to attend evening acting classes in Zurich where he also worked as a bookseller and trained as a paramedic.

In the early 1960s Ganz left Switzerland to work in theater in Germany, and from the 1970s onwards he acted at the Berlin-based Schaubuehne theater.

He earned praise for his performances, while also branching out into cinema where he worked with renowned German directors like Wim Wenders, Werner Herzog and Volker Schloendorff. In 1987 Ganz played an angel called Damiel in Wenders’s film “Wings of Desire,” who becomes mortal so he can experience earthly pleasures.

One of his most famous roles came when he played Hitler in the 2004 film “Downfall,” which dramatized the last days of the Nazi dictator in the Berlin bunker, one of Germany’s first attempts to characterize the Fuehrer in film.

Ganz portrayed Hitler as a ranting and delusional madman, but also as a fatherly figure suffering from Parkinson’s disease who fussed about the welfare of his secretaries. His ravings went on to feature in many internet parodies.

Immersing himself in the Hitler role affected the actor, who later admitted he had been haunted by his portrayal for a very long time.

“I tend to identify with my roles to such an extent that I appear to be totally convinced about certain statements that, in real life, I would never believe in,” Ganz said. He also continued to work on the stage, playing classic roles like “Faust” and “Hamlet,” as well as appearing in films including “The Reader,” “The Manchurian Candidate” and “The Tree of Life.”

During his long career, Ganz exhibited the breadth of his acting skills. “The script has to grab me, irritate me, seduce me. I do not want to repeat myself with my roles,” he said.

But he narrowly missed out on some plum roles, including the main character opposite Julia Roberts in “Pretty Woman” which went to Richard Gere. He was also rejected by Steven Spielberg for the main role in Oscar-winning “Schindler’s List.”

More recently, he played Heidi’s grandfather in a 2015 Swiss film about the national heroine, seeing it as a kind of patriotic duty. “Good thing that Switzerland is associated with Heidi rather than banks, cheese or chocolate,” he told Hamburger Abendblatt.

Intensely private, he largely shunned Hollywood. Married once, he separated from his wife with whom he had a son, and lived in Zurich, Berlin and Venice.

Those Hitler memes were some of the funniest things I ever saw on the internet.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
Damn, RIP. I rented downfall once and enjoyed it. I think his portrayal of Hitler was the best part of the film.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
RIP, he was great in the RAF TV series as well.