Mint copy of Super Mario Bros. sells for $100,150

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Desperation at its finest!

Ouch Ime wounded....

A old and totally irrelevant thread ....

Bleeding out...

Butt hurt unbearable....

Last edited:

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
The only thing needed to hurt the retro game market is a few major or even semi-serious collectors getting out at the same time. You can already see examples of this on ebay when there is a few of the same "rare" games on auction at the same time. They generally will not sell nearly as high as comparable buy it nows, or even as other sold results. A great way to correct a games inflated value is to introduce just a few copys of that game into the market at the same time.
Lets face it, as rare as "rare" games can seem, there was generally still tens of thousands made, if not many many more. They truly are not that rare, there is just a lack of available copys on the market at a given time.
But now also a factor, just like with comics, since we cant base the value on a items true scarceness or rarity, we then assess a value on its condition instead. Which sometimes seems insane to me. But does play right into the generalized ever increasing analness of collectors as time goes on...Which seems like a never ending battle with ones self. (IE. This Marios sealed 8.5 condition is not good enough I must have a even better one).
But, If this guy can convince people to speculate that sealed games will be the next big big thing like a Warhol painting, then who the hell knows. But there still will always be more then just a few in existence, It will never be a original unique painting. I think market correction could be drastic, swift, and easily happen. As much as you think that sealed game is uber rare, there is probably for example, at least 50 other collectors out there with the same thing. As we all age, loose interest, die off, need money, these rare items will emerge no matter what.
It seems to be a truly risky investment if that is how one was to look at it.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I'm pretty sure Heritage Auctions has auctioned off a bunch of comics for more than 100k. I just saw an Action Comics #1 going for more than $500k. Fools and their money.
How is it a rip-off to pay 500k for Action #1? But it depends on the condition, I suppose- it can easily go for $1 million in excellent condition. There aren't that many copies of it left, and it's the first appearance of Superman.

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
How is it a rip-off to pay 500k for Action #1? But it depends on the condition, I suppose- it can easily go for $1 million in excellent condition. There aren't that many copies of it left, and it's the first appearance of Superman.

A stout, middle-aged man, with enormous owl-eyed spectacles, was sitting somewhat drunk on the edge of a great table, staring with unsteady concentration at the shelves of books. As we entered he wheeled excitedly around and examined Jordan from head to foot.

“What do you think?” he demanded impetuously.

“About what?”

He waved his hand toward the book-shelves.

“About that. As a matter of fact you needn’t bother to ascertain. I ascertained. They’re real.”

“The books?”

He nodded.

“Absolutely real — have pages and everything. I thought they’d be a nice durable cardboard. Matter of fact, they’re absolutely real. Pages and — Here! Lemme show you.”

Taking our scepticism for granted, he rushed to the bookcases and returned with Volume One of the “Stoddard Lectures.”

“See!” he cried triumphantly. “It’s a bona-fide piece of printed matter. It fooled me. This fella’s a regular Belasco. It’s a triumph. What thoroughness! What realism! Knew when to stop, too — didn’t cut the pages. But what do you want? What do you expect?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
A stout, middle-aged man, with enormous owl-eyed spectacles, was sitting somewhat drunk on the edge of a great table, staring with unsteady concentration at the shelves of books. As we entered he wheeled excitedly around and examined Jordan from head to foot.

“What do you think?” he demanded impetuously.

“About what?”

He waved his hand toward the book-shelves.

“About that. As a matter of fact you needn’t bother to ascertain. I ascertained. They’re real.”

“The books?”

He nodded.

“Absolutely real — have pages and everything. I thought they’d be a nice durable cardboard. Matter of fact, they’re absolutely real. Pages and — Here! Lemme show you.”

Taking our scepticism for granted, he rushed to the bookcases and returned with Volume One of the “Stoddard Lectures.”

“See!” he cried triumphantly. “It’s a bona-fide piece of printed matter. It fooled me. This fella’s a regular Belasco. It’s a triumph. What thoroughness! What realism! Knew when to stop, too — didn’t cut the pages. But what do you want? What do you expect?
The record price for Action 1 was a "very fine/near mint" copy, unrestored, with perfectly white pages, that sold for $3.2 million.

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
The record price for Action 1 was a "very fine/near mint" copy, unrestored, with perfectly white pages, that sold for $3.2 million.

I can buy Action Comics #1 for under $20.

P.S. I am only posting in this thread so I can say I was there when the worst thread of 2019 happened.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
P.S. I am only posting in this thread so I can say I was there when the worst thread of 2019 happened.

But this isn't a Jockman thread.

PS hey lithy how you doing buddy

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The guy in the picture at the top of this article has the most punchable face I've seen in so, so long.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
That article details the wealthy group on the far end of the spectrum who are buying up sealed games. It’s pure speculators hoping to profit from cultural time capsules. They’re a unique bunch...but they are indeed growing quickly thanks to all the headlines exclaiming “Your old games could be worth thousands!!!11!!one!1!!”. Well that and the fact that Heritage Auctions got in on the act.

The good news is that they aren't exactly taking away games that gamers will play (the collectors only want rare or sealed variants of games that are otherwise pretty common). I’m assuming they will just end up selling and trading those high-end collectibles among themselves.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
It honestly seems like to me these people are not even gamers at all, they just think it is a good investment. The passion for the games isn’t there, only passion for profit

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
You guys think video games are bad? Comicbook reselling, flipping, and general faggotry is on a whole other level. You don't want these people in games, 'if you care about collecting'.

“I’m certainly nowhere near as invested financially as many comic book colleagues of mine, and hobbyists that have come into this in the last year. There are some that I know have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars of games”.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I got a ton of sealed games i never got a chance to play...Im going to be rich & retire!

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I got a ton of sealed games i never got a chance to play...Im going to be rich & retire!

Not if you keep spending all your funds on life size terminator busts.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
So are the people paying these prices bitcoin winners? People are entitled to spend what they want. But really in another few decades is this going in a museum or hopefully someone is willing to pay what buyer paid