Mega CD noise

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm sure there could be many variables at play here, and perhaps this thread is being made prematurely but...

The Mega drive 2 + mega cd 2 unit I've had since the summer produces a hissing noise (coming from the tv, not the unit). This is most noticeable when I'm playing a cartridge when the MD is attached to the cd unit. The noise is twice as loud if the power supply isn't plugged in. This noise is only noticeable whenever there is a portion of the game that isn't playing music, but what could be the deal?

I've owned the mega drive unit for over 10 years, and these sounds only happen when connected to the mega cd.

Last edited:

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
This is going to sound stupid but clean the pins on the Mega Drive connector and the socket on the Mega CD where the two connect together.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
I had a US Sega CD model 2 paired with a Genesis model 1 do this to me in 1994 once.

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy
What power supply are you using? I have noticed odd behavior depending what power supply I use with my sega cd 1.

Also are you using a good av cable that is shielded?

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Does the Mega CD 2 require all the shielding the Sega CD 2 has?

104074939_73695146.jpg

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
I'm going to go off on a limb here and say you need to replace capacitors. The Sega Nomad has a similar problem when the large input capacitor hasn't been replaced for 20 years. Basically it's the RC filter Network for your power rails getting weaker at its job because the filter capacitors are drying out after decades.
That's my rough diagnosis of it, anyway.