Your favourite covers (songs)

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Not for posting necessarily the best covers (not a this cover is better than the original thread), rather ones you most enjoy.

I could go on, and I would but I don't want to hog
Generally, I think the original versions of songs, by the original artist that wrote the song, are the better versions, as they tend the get the approach or the emotion of the song right.
Even with a song like "All Along The Watchtower", I think the Dylan original is better, even though the Hendrix version is generally considered to be the definitive version. Dylan's version has more of the ominous sense of foreboding that the song is supposed to have.
One cover I can think of, that I like more than the original, is the Johnny Cash version of "Hurt". And maybe "The Man Who Sold the World" on Nirvana MTV Unplugged.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Generally, I think the original versions of songs, by the original artist that wrote the song, are the better versions.
Even with a song like "All Along The Watchtower", I think the Dylan original is better, even though the Hendrix version is generally considered to be the definitive version. Dylan's version has more of the ominous sense of foreboding that the song is supposed to have.
One cover I can think of, that's better than the original, is the Johnny Cash version of "Hurt".

I agree if only because the original of anything implies a creative process which the cover does not need to undergo. Better is a strange word.
I think a cover can be better when the original is not great and then a creative head fucks with the formula and makes something from very little. It would be akin to an artist being inspired by X thing or using Y as a vehicle to express something about themselves or their perspective, much like Cash and Hurt (though I would never dare say it was better than the original).
As I say though, this is a different type of valuation taking place in this thread.
The only cover I personally dislike very much here is Bad Wolves cover of Zombie. Zombie by the Cramberries was always an irksome shitty song but Bad Wolves made it 100 times worst.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Anything from Guns n Roses - The Spaghetti Incident, or Slayer - Undisputed Attitude.
Some of the Laibach covers are interesting, such as Jesus Christ Superstar.
Otherwise I would say Bloody Sign - Parricide

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
@Gog, AxCx and DxAx cool covers.

Discordance Axis are Grindcore Ninja Commandos, so I guess that cover isn't super surprising.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Social Distortion's cover of Under my Thumb is a personal favorite.

Also gotta say, I prefer the Johnny Cash version of Hurt

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
heh.. here's another one (shameless plug):

I made this for a friend a few years ago. Some sort of cover version of Fade To Grey. :)

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Pretty much all the Metallica covers.
Powerwolf does an awesome version of Judas priests night crawler.
Sabbaton rocked Amon Amarth's Twilight of the Thunder god so hard I thought it was an original at first.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I've always like the Marylin Manson cover on Tainted Love:

Also liked the Smashing Pumpkins cover of Landslide:

The Pantera cover of Planet Caravan was already mentioned, love the outro solo...RIP D

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Melvins doing a KISS cover:

David Lynch fans might recognize this one:

I figured I might as well post both versions, I prefer the version with Frank Black singing personally.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
That Melvins cover is the fucking business! I prefer it to the original.

Jamie

NEST Puppet
Merry Clayton's version of Gimme Shelter, she sang the backing vocals on the original Stone's version too:

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Bump...:cool:

Not really a cover since Prince wrote the song, but this version is better: