Who else is caught up in the silly cold weather?

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Just the weather: it's the Florida of Europe in positive and negative terms...
I thought that was Russia.
But in what way it's like the Florida of Europe? You have amazing food, shitload of good looking people, good death metal.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
I thought that was Russia.
But in what way it's like the Florida of Europe? You have amazing food, shitload of good looking people, good death metal.

It's a good place for holidays, but living here will break the dream.

So much waste of potential.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
So in Buffalo, it's regularly -20 or colder for a long time during winter? I'm talking actual temp, not windchill. I'm from MN and I've only experienced -20 or colder temps a handful of times.

People on TV and the radio act like it never gets below zero. It has been below zero three times already this season and it happens every year. The wind chill was -20 to -35 (I think they said) which is less common to have winds of 20mph or higher during periods of below zero... Perhaps once every 5-10 years. Certainly not a lifetime. People usually only remember what they have experienced, so if they stay inside during the really cold days, they do not remember it being so cold because they weren't.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
People on TV and the radio act like it never gets below zero. It has been below zero three times already this season and it happens every year. The wind chill was -20 to -35 (I think they said) which is less common to have winds of 20mph or higher during periods of below zero... Perhaps once every 5-10 years. Certainly not a lifetime. People usually only remember what they have experienced, so if they stay inside during the really cold days, they do not remember it being so cold because they weren't.

In central illinois, we'll hit 0 to possibly the single digit negatives every year. -20? Nah. According to the news, we hadn't hit a low like that in my lifetime. Like you are saying, it's not a huge deal is you're prepared, just as we don't get that low and hold there. I think the long and short of it is that we just aren't prepared for temps that low, our homes aren't, our attire isn't, our cars aren't. That and pure old fashioned media sensationalism are why it made national (and global) headlines.

I will say that -20 and 25-30mph winds is a filthy combo...

The ironic part is that ma nature completely flipped on us last weekend, temps near 50F really helped things along....that was a nice break. Sadly, we'll be right back down to single digits later this week.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
It warmed up here over the weekend too, but, unfortunately, it also rained heavily, and then got cold again, so, now, the roads are all ice rinks and the trees and power lines are completely sheathed in ice which weighs them down and has caused some of them to break, resulting in additional hazards and power outages (the power in my house only blipped out briefly once, forcing me to restart my computer, but, thankfully, it didn't go out all together like it did in other places). One of my neighbors had a big tree come down, blocking the road up to their house, and the city DPW had to come and chop it up and remove it.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
We don't even have the heating on anymore here, as I stand brushing my teeth. Winter has been and gone in blighty.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Jesus...you know, where I do not like snow or super cold temps, I don't hate anything like I hate freezing rain/black ice...god almighty. I cannot recall a winter where it has rained and frozen so many fucking times. Today was the 4th times I lost control of my truck driving to work. Before this year, I have gone sideways while driving in well over a decade, this year, 4 freaking times. It's just been one storm after the next. Last night, it was hovering around 30F and we had a fucking thunderstorm...something I've never seen in temps that low. Today...everything was once again coated in ice.

I've put two friends in the ground due to car crashes on black ice, including one this time last year...I cannot say how much I hate it.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Yeah, I don't care for the ice, either. I probably should get some Yaktrax for when I'm walking.

smokehouse, do you have winter tires and/or legal to put chains on?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yeah, I don't care for the ice, either. I probably should get some Yaktrax for when I'm walking.

smokehouse, do you have winter tires and/or legal to put chains on?

I have all season truck tires, which are good for about 80% of conditions...but definitely not ice. We're not allowed to run chains or studded tires here in Illinois, which freaking sucks.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I have all season truck tires, which are good for about 80% of conditions...but definitely not ice. We're not allowed to run chains or studded tires here in Illinois, which freaking sucks.

I definitely lost traction with my Camry the other day, I'm fortunate that I was just driving on some slower roads. But we also aren't allowed to use studs or chains, probably because the roads are in such poor condition in Northeast Ohio. If I actually drove a lot more I would invest in winter tires here, but most of the time I just walk or ride the bus.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It has snowed about 6 inches in the last 5 hours here in Denver. Not crazy cold, though. High 20s maybe. Still snowing.

Also, at no point have I ever had snow tires or chains or anything of the sort. Nor did my dad when he was the one driving me around as a kid.

If you crash, you were going too fast.
If you get stuck, you were going too slow.

Adjust as necessary.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Adjust as necessary.

Sorry, but just myths.

It's the thin air. Rocky Mountain high?

How do you think the rockies hit those home runs in the 90's?

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
It has snowed about 6 inches in the last 5 hours here in Denver. Not crazy cold, though. High 20s maybe. Still snowing.

Also, at no point have I ever had snow tires or chains or anything of the sort. Nor did my dad when he was the one driving me around as a kid.

Adjust as necessary.
Aren’t all your roads paved? My dad had a 4Runner and chains when we lived in Colorado, we had to drive on gravel often.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Aren’t all your roads paved? My dad had a 4Runner and chains when we lived in Colorado, we had to drive on gravel often.

My family has a cabin in the mountains (Wondervu). Dirt roads, steep inclines. My uncle lived there for a couple of years when he moved his family out here from California. Drove a mid 80s Corolla.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Anyone's eyes tear up and cry when it's cold as shit? I haven't met anyone else like me whose body does this shit.

Just a natural reaction has when I'm out in the freezing cold. Like looking at the sun and sneezing.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
the light sensitivity sneeze thing happens to me constantly

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
So that means we gotta fuck now, right?

But I'm serious about 'crying' (I'm not crying! the tears just come out, weird I know) in freezing cold weather. What's wrong with this body?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Adjust as necessary.

Try sliding down a hill and tell me if it was going too fast or too slow that caused it. When it comes to black ice that's in patches, speed can only make it worse, but it can't avoid it.

Sometimes the answer is the old one, it's unsafe at any speed. There's times when people just need to stay home.

the light sensitivity sneeze thing happens to me constantly

The same thing happens to my sister...and it's amusing as hell (to everyone but her, typically).

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
FML. Stuck in KC. Too cold for the salt to work, and my hotel is up on top of a hill. I don't feel like slalom'ing my way out, but I might have to try.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Yeah... the freezing rain can choke on a bag of dicks.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Managed to find an opening when the sun came out. Made the snow a little slushy at least.
Now my car is just a giant ball of salt.

MO weather.png