Who else is caught up in the silly cold weather?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Polar vortex...huh...

I guess we had the coldest weather that I've experienced in my lifetime (born in 1977)...I guess we hit -22F last night.

It wasn't without some issues, we have two rooms above our attached garage, all the cold water and tub/sink drains froze solid overnight despite our attempts to keep them flowing. When I found the garage temps to be well below freezing, I decided to go buy a LP salamander heater to help control the temp.

My diesel truck did manage to start, but quickly threw a check engine light, was blasting smoke from under the engine, and wouldn't go above 45 mph. (I was running a block heater, BTW) That cost me a trip to the dealership where they couldn't figure it out either.

Long story short, the truck managed to get me home, but the heat is currently not working, I did get a heater and the garage temp is sitting at 50F...but the cold water pipes are still frozen solid. Drains work...but that doesn't do me much good.

Tonight is expected to hit -17F, so not much better, at least I have a heater. Now I just need to see if my truck is going to run at 6:30 in the morning...somehow I doubt it will.

...so that's my story...anyone else have anything good?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It's just annoying-cold in Denver lately, not stupid-cold like y'all got right now.

Gog

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thankfully just a regular miserable cold winter here in the U.K. but you guys...yikes. I can’t stand the cold, just seeing the pictures of the U.S. currently gives me chills.

2558C1C5-4BA9-4B7F-BF0A-CD5CDAC5BA4B.jpeg

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I was intending on making a thread about this. I can't really imagine what these kinds of temperatures feel like and what you can and can't do in them. Are you expected to make it into work? Do people just stay indoors? How long until you're dead if you're heating breaks down?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I was intending on making a thread about this. I can't really imagine what these kinds of temperatures feel like and what you can and can't do in them. Are you expected to make it into work? Do people just stay indoors? How long until you're dead if you're heating breaks down?

Outside uncovered skin can show frostbite in 15 minutes. Work yes you're expected to show. Yes, just stay indoors. How long until you're dead, too many factors to list.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
265a5a5742aa4fe6c4a4a8ab60729fca.jpg

Welcome to Ohio. :(

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Outside uncovered skin can show frostbite in 15 minutes. Work yes you're expected to show. Yes, just stay indoors. How long until you're dead, too many factors to list.

Well that's everything covered.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Odd to Kilometers, Miles and Fahrenheit mixed on the dash.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

How does it feel? It burns your skin immediatly, you're nostrils will literally stick together if you breathe in hard enough. According to the news, the -50F windchill this morning was causing frostbite in less than 5min.

A local man slipped and fell last night, froze to death before this morning. It doesn't take too much time to freeze to death in those kinds of temps.

Yes, most work places were shitty enough to stay open, all the schools closed so it was a great situation.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Those temps (-20 and up) are similar to what they get in northern China. People just wear lots of layers of clothes (longjohns - not normal longjohns but thick ones that help with insulation) and put some kind of heating pads inside their shoes. And yeah people just stay indoors pretty much.

I've been seeing a homeless guy in different parts of the neighborhood wearing plastic bags on his feet. I want to give him my old boots I never wear. Don't know how homeless people can survive in the elements with weather this low.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
One weird thing is what they were calling "Frost quakes".the ground was snapping and popping all night, as were everyone's houses. It was nuts, a few of them were extremely loud last night.

I know that compared to some places, -22 isn't all that crazy, but it definitely is for us. Our houses just aren't built for this.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Stayed home today due to the cold (lol), but not gonna pass up a day off from work. I went outside for a bit when it was -28 early this morning, and yep it’s cold. House is draftier and creaking more than normal that’s for sure.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
This is the time for global warming.
The chemtrail bs cleared up this afternoon it was minus 12 instead of 22 on the opposite drive to work. You can see the sky again. They are going to do it again next week for Wednesday, with uhh freezing rain over the weekend? So uhh yeah not normal. Since when did they predict next weeks weather? I havent watched news for 20 years or more. We have something wrong for sure atmospher or tilt?:loco:

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Not too bad up here, only -2 degrees Fahrenheit. But because nearly everybody walks to school here, school was cancelled for 2 days.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I was stuck in Chicago flying back to NY from OKC on Sunday and didn't get home until last night. The cold was insane, I can't imagine staying another day with negative temperatures like that.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I miss winters in Los Angeles. Sunny, high 60s/low 70s. Maybe gets down to high 50s before dawn.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
We've been asked to lower are thermostats to 65°f until Friday.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
We are having extreme heat waves in Australia right now. Today the Mercury hit 38 degrees in Sydney (100+ Fahrenheit), and even greater out west. And the humidity is high too so it feels even hotter. Aircon is the saviour.

Global warming indeed.

sr20det510

Geese's Limo Driver
I miss winters in Los Angeles. Sunny, high 60s/low 70s. Maybe gets down to high 50s before dawn.

It was nice and warm today in Los Angeles, about 71°.
Tomorrow we will have a drastic change in the weather, a high of 60° and rain!

I feel bad for the homeless in the Midwest, I hope they are resourceful and survive the cold.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
We are having extreme heat waves in Australia right now. Today the Mercury hit 38 degrees in Sydney (100+ Fahrenheit), and even greater out west. And the humidity is high too so it feels even hotter. Aircon is the saviour.

Global warming indeed.
You realize you are in the Southern hemisphere, right?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
It was -26 and still falling when I got home tonight. Glad I got a new battery for my car back in the fall.

Supposed to be in the 40 degree range plus rain this coming weekend.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I can't really imagine what these kinds of temperatures feel like...

Exactly. Winter strikes back here, too, but in comparison to the US it's tepid. Only thing I got are stories about the infamous snow disaster of 1978/79.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Exactly. Winter strikes back here, too, but in comparison to the US it's tepid. Only thing I got are stories about the infamous snow disaster of 1978/79.

While this weather definitely sucks, it used to be pretty par for the course late January/early February, here in Iowa. Well... minus 10 to 15 anyway. The funny part is when it starts to get back above 30 degrees you are so used to the cold, by that point, you can almost run around in shorts.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
You realize you are in the Southern hemisphere, right?

Yes.

We’re experiencing extreme heat during our Summer while those in the Northern hemisphere here are talking about polar opposite temperatures. Adelaide experienced its hottest day in 130 years at 46.2C.

What’s your point besides pointing out the opposite?