Sega guys - 32x question!

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I feel like I asked this question before but can’t find anything...

But anyway, can a US 32X and 32X games be used with a Japanese Megadrive?

Or do I need to buy a Japanese 32X and games?

I suspect that it is all region locked, but figured i’d ask.

-SD-

Camel Slug
As far as I’m aware the system only checks for 50/60Hz, so an NTSC-U 32X should work in an NTSC-J console with most games.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Yeah you can use a 60hz 32x with a 60hz MD but you may not be able to play all the games depending on the protection of each game.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Yeah you can use a 60hz 32x with a 60hz MD but you may not be able to play all the games depending on the protection of each game.

This. There's probably only 3-4 US 32x games that won't boot with a JP MD, and most are all launch titles. The majority of NTSC releases are region free or dual language, with the region of your base Gen/MD determining the language.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Is this also the case with Sega CD?

fake

15 Year Member
Sega CD’s are region locked also.

No copy protection on them though so very easy to burn backups.

But do they only check refresh rate? ie can you use a US Sega CD on a JP Mega Drive?

-SD-

Camel Slug
Nope, there’s different BIOS for the three regions on the CD unit and it requires a matching region Megadrive.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
But do they only check refresh rate? ie can you use a US Sega CD on a JP Mega Drive?

Hmm that I am not sure on.

I think you can though? Hopefully someone else will know :p

As far as I am aware the only differences on the CD’s are the bios.

fake

15 Year Member
Ah, OK, thanks gaiz. Makes sense. I remember having to swap out the BIOS for CD games when playing on an emulator.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I can answer the frequency question - yes they do check.

I have a region modded Multimega. If I leave it on 50hz I can't boot JPN CD or USA CD. But, after the initial boot I can flip it back to 50hz if I really want to no bother.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The US 32X is great for playing JP Mega Drive carts on a US Genesis because it allows you to insert the carts without physically modifying the carts and/or the slot.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Thanks guys. The 2 games i wanted to play were the Star Wars one and Virtua Racing which I believe we’re both early games...so they could potentially be handful of the games that wouldn’t work...

Still worth a shot though because the prices on Japanese 32x units are crazy. Worst case scenario I could just buy a cheap US Genesis...though I do hate unnecessary clutter.

fake

15 Year Member
The US 32X is great for playing JP Mega Drive carts on a US Genesis because it allows you to insert the carts without physically modifying the carts and/or the slot.

The only cart that's worked with for me is Arrow Flash.