MiSTer FPGA Neo Geo core

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
just checking, is there a list of most common hardware pieces to buy, in order to run 15Khz/RGB/JAMMA I/O? (including the 128Mb expansion I believe)

If you want to run it to a pvm or cab. You'll need the DE-10, I/O board, 128 ram board. Optional is a USB board. To run in a cab you can use a jpac to hook controls to the mister. Vga cable will ouput native 240p.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
thanks, yes the idea is mainly PVM but optionally the cab.

didn't specify earlier but what about using DB15 controllers instead of USB?

Edit: did look at the mister add ons site, a lot of stuff is pretty much out of stock...was this the situation before the virus? :(

Last edited:

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Edit: did look at the mister add ons site, a lot of stuff is pretty much out of stock...was this the situation before the virus? :(

Yes. I have checked several times over the past couple months and it was always sold out of everything I was interested in.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I ordered a full setup a few weeks ago from ultimate mister.

I think stock is usually low anyway from what I have seen but the virus has obv made things worse.

But I preordered mine and it shipped a few days ago so I cant wait to have a tinker when it arrives :)

Pinball

Kula's Candy
Mister is great, but so much was and is out of stock that I am far from being able to try it out yet, as all the accessories are missing. Very disappointing frankly, but it's a pretty plastic brick.

At least Analogue FPGA consoles are complete and ready to work out of the box. Mister far from it. As a result, I've had it a month but might as well not have bothered.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Mister is great, but so much was and is out of stock that I am far from being able to try it out yet, as all the accessories are missing. Very disappointing frankly, but it's a pretty plastic brick.

At least Analogue FPGA consoles are complete and ready to work out of the box. Mister far from it. As a result, I've had it a month but might as well not have bothered.

The base de-10 can play gba, Genesis, and pce/sg. That's like 200+ games. Not sure how it's just sitting in the box for you.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I have a MiSTer 32 Meg SDRAM module that I’ll give away for the cost of shipping for anyone that can use it. That enables everything except a handful of the largest Neo Geo and GBA games.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I got my setup from here:

https://ultimatemister.com/

Most of the “rare” parts are for pre order but at-least you can get the ball rolling.

Mine has shipped but not here yet, I am sure everyones favourite virus has much to blame for that.....

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
It's still not clear to me how good is the NeoGeo core; but if it's input lag-free and pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing, I'll have even more trouble justifying the expense of 550 EUR for a NeoSD Pro MVS (if it ever comes out), when you can get a complete MiSTer setup with 128MB SDRAM for 300 EUR - and you get to play hundreds of other games, too.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's still not clear to me how good is the NeoGeo core; but if it's input lag-free and pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing, I'll have even more trouble justifying the expense of 550 EUR for a NeoSD Pro MVS (if it ever comes out), when you can get a complete MiSTer setup with 128MB SDRAM for 300 EUR - and you get to play hundreds of other games, too.

I had the opportunity to try it out: no lag, no bugs and the most perfect scan-line emulation I ever saw. Plus I love how the menu resembled ancient DOS command-line interfaces. I recommend you try it out, too.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I had the opportunity to try it out: no lag, no bugs and the most perfect scan-line emulation I ever saw. Plus I love how the menu resembled ancient DOS command-line interfaces. I recommend you try it out, too.

Sounds nice! I'm not too picky about scanline emulation 'cause I'd always use it on a CRT (arcade monitor with the Jamma interface, or my old Philips CM8833 with the RGB scart), but "no lag and no bugs" sounds very, very promising to me.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
There are bugs. But considering the breadth of the NG library, they are relatively small and it is my understanding that work is being done to resolve them.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Thanks gusmoney! Well, the good thing about MiSTer is that time is definitely on its side; might not be perfect today, but FPGA is clearly the future of "emulation" (if you can still call it that). I think I'll sit and wait until most problems get ironed out!

aam

War Room Troll
I must say the following reply to a bug report doesn’t sound like the neo core is really all that just yet

Probably it's general core instability. Core uses many async clocks which is unstable. Basically code needs big refactoring to be more compatible with FPGA nature.

McColbo

Overtop Pathfinder
I ordered a full setup a few weeks ago from ultimate mister.

I think stock is usually low anyway from what I have seen but the virus has obv made things worse.

But I preordered mine and it shipped a few days ago so I cant wait to have a tinker when it arrives :)

Which setup or what exactly did you order? I'd like to start playing around with this stuff and have no idea where to start.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Which setup or what exactly did you order? I'd like to start playing around with this stuff and have no idea where to start.

So if you're going to just use it on a HDTV, just the DE-10, and maybe a USB board, otherwise you can use a USB breakout hub. Oh, you will need ram to run anything other than Genesis/GBA/TG-16 pretty much. get the 128 mb board.

McColbo

Overtop Pathfinder
So if you're going to just use it on a HDTV, just the DE-10, and maybe a USB board, otherwise you can use a USB breakout hub. Oh, you will need ram to run anything other than Genesis/GBA/TG-16 pretty much. get the 128 mb board.

Awesome thanks, I plan on going to Component out eventually to my CRT, for now it'll be going to my HDTV assuming that's easier to set up?