Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 68

Thread: MiSTer FPGA Neo Geo core

  1. #26
    Mr. Big's Thug
    NexusX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Houston, Tx

    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by kidchameleon1 View Post
    This stuff is really interesting. Would it be possible, once all the research is done on this, to create new multi slot boards? Ones with Jamma connectors etc. that do not have input lag? Ive been following the furrtek guy for the last year, he really is doing "God's" work.
    Presumably if you have the FPGA with native HDMI out to a modern tv it probably wouldn't have perceived input lag. Maybe a frame or two but nothing that you could really feel.

    What I am really hoping to see out of this project is a MVS and AES DUAL slot board. The ultimate all in 1. I would throw down money for that. Add in a bios chip slot so we can easily upgrade (and support) the real unibios, and that would be great. I know that is a bit of a pipedream though.

  2. #27
    Giga Shock!!
    ShootTheCore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Logan UT USA

    Posts
    1,000
    The MiSTer project head has been strongly opposed to adding support for any cartridge slots-he wants everything to be ROM-based. But it is open-source with many contributors, so who knows what could happen...

  3. #28
    Kuroko's Training Dummy
    kidchameleon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland

    Posts
    79
    Hmm strange that they are opposed to cart slots. It would be really nice to have a "new MVS" board that doesnt need to be recapped and wont eventually break down etc...

    AES + MVS combo? Yes, shut up and take my money!!! How about my idea, an MVS "Octo slot"?

  4. #29
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    11,666
    Just having an FPGA Neo Geo that operates in an identical fashion but with just ROM's would be fantastic. I could see the addition of a cart slot as a great extra but it's just that, an extra.

    Ideally it will have HDMI out, USB controller ports and of course power. A cart slot, MVS and AES or even multi slots? Unnecessary.


    !!

  5. #30
    If I could have
    My time back
    I'd keep it in ma' pants
    c0nn0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada

    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    Just having an FPGA Neo Geo that operates in an identical fashion but with just ROM's would be fantastic. I could see the addition of a cart slot as a great extra but it's just that, an extra.

    Ideally it will have HDMI out, USB controller ports and of course power. A cart slot, MVS and AES or even multi slots? Unnecessary.
    You are trying to have laggy USB ports?

  6. #31
    Kuroko's Training Dummy
    kidchameleon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland

    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    A cart slot, MVS and AES or even multi slots? Unnecessary.
    I'm thinking it will be necessary for all the MVS cabinets out there. I wouldn't like to have emulation or roms inside mine when my MVS boards inevitably die

  7. #32
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    11,666
    Quote Originally Posted by c0nn0r View Post
    You are trying to have laggy USB ports?
    USB is laggy? of course you could have a db15 out.

    Quote Originally Posted by kidchameleon1 View Post
    I'm thinking it will be necessary for all the MVS cabinets out there. I wouldn't like to have emulation or roms inside mine when my MVS boards inevitably die
    As far as we know this project has no intention of including it.

    I take it you're not fond of the NeoSD then?


    !!

  8. #33
    Kuroko's Training Dummy
    kidchameleon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland

    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    I take it you're not fond of the NeoSD then?
    I'm a huge admirer of Everdrives etc. Original carts themselves will eventually die out. I am happy for all avenues of preserving hardware & playing experience to exist. Emulation is great too! I will eventually purchase a Neo SD but my preference will always be real, genuine hardware or as close as we can get to it!
    Last edited by kidchameleon1; 05-05-2019 at 04:51 PM.

  9. #34
    The Chinese Kid Kid Panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Panda Islandô

    Posts
    12,513
    Quote Originally Posted by kidchameleon1 View Post
    I'm a huge admirer of Everdrives etc. Original carts themselves will eventually die out. I am happy for all avenues of preserving hardware & playing experience to exist. Emulation is great too! I will eventually purchase a Neo SD but my preference will always be real, genuine hardware or as close as we can get to it!
    The NeoSD is real hardware. It uses the exact same files that are on the rom chips in a cart.
    Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonZero View Post
    I don't know why you're white knighting this guy, couldn't you buy the North Pole and have the elves build you anything you want?

  10. #35
    Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
    wyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tampa, FL

    Posts
    5,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    The NeoSD is real hardware. It uses the exact same files that are on the rom chips in a cart.
    Sounds more like real software
    Neo Geo AES #011035 #036442 | Neo Geo CD #0002814 #0015959 | MVS Executive | Razion 1cc Club President | NG.com Top Trader
    ATTN NOOBS: Jamma Nation X makes the best CMVS & Superguns, PERIOD! | Unofficial MVS and AES Price Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by SNKSOUL View Post
    I ask a complete account removal extraction

    I ask the deletion authorized by Neo Geo Admin Judge Dredd.

    Thanks a lot.

  11. #36

    Neo Alec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    8,171
    Yeah, I think I know what KP meant, but wyo corrected his post. Using a NeoSD is real hardware if you mean the console itself, not the software medium.

  12. #37
    Dodgeball Yakuza
    Gaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The 7th circle

    Posts
    786
    Let Analogue have another go at it, they really know their stuff.
    And yes, a cart slot is a must.
    Neo Geo AES JP serial #108523 | Super Neo AES JP serial #081188

  13. #38
    Kuroko's Training Dummy
    pva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Finland

    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    Just having an FPGA Neo Geo that operates in an identical fashion but with just ROM's would be fantastic. I could see the addition of a cart slot as a great extra but it's just that, an extra.
    The cart slot would allow running NGDT/Neobitz carts, which haven't been, and probably won't in the foreseeable future be, (publicly) dumped.

    However, I'd argue that the great unwashed masses aren't all that interested in homebrew/unlicensed software, and those of us who are, already own original hardware. This means that in the grand scheme of things, the cart slot would be, as you said, a nice-to-have extra at best.

  14. #39
    Kuroko's Training Dummy
    kidchameleon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland

    Posts
    79
    I'm not being funny, I'm trying to get my head around this. What would be the difference between having an FPGA Neo Geo running roms and a RPI3 running roms?

  15. #40
    Giga Shock!!
    ShootTheCore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Logan UT USA

    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by kidchameleon1 View Post
    I'm not being funny, I'm trying to get my head around this. What would be the difference between having an FPGA Neo Geo running roms and a RPI3 running roms?
    There's a very well written answer to your question here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main.../wiki/Why-FPGA

  16. #41
    Kuroko's Training Dummy
    kidchameleon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland

    Posts
    79
    That's very interesting. Makes sense I suppose. I think I'm going to have to take the plunge and get the needed gear to get a core up and running.

  17. #42
    Dodgeball Yakuza
    Gaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The 7th circle

    Posts
    786
    It's funny how everybody goes apeshit when a cheap device such as the pi is used for more than adequate emulation (with the usual caveats like input lag etc) of older systems but when somebody yells FGPA replication, it's all good.
    FPGA is still an approximation of older hardware that simply works better than software emulation due to it's architecture, but it is still an approximation. The Super NT and the Mega SG show how it can rejuvenate older systems if done well and with the proper skills and granted - it is only one system per device but they are near perfect in every way. Do that for the Neo with a card slot that accepts both mvs and aes carts and I would hand over my cash immediately.
    Loading up roms is still an option if you're a shelf queen but I just love sticking big things in wide open slots.
    Neo Geo AES JP serial #108523 | Super Neo AES JP serial #081188

  18. #43
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    11,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaston View Post
    Loading up roms is still an option if you're a shelf queen but I just love sticking big things in wide open slots.
    Planning a docking in West Korea anytime soon?


    !!

  19. #44
    Rugal's Thug
    Lee_Rekka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SouthTown

    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaston View Post
    Let Analogue have another go at it, they really know their stuff.
    And yes, a cart slot is a must.
    I seriously doubt Analogue is going to release an FPGA Neo Geo clone at all, let alone with a cart slot. It's way to niche of a system, the amount of people who own real carts is way to small for all that R&D to make the Neo FPGA in the first place. PlayStation would be the most realistic next release from Analogue.

    I personally can't wait for the Neo core to get released on the MiSTer.

  20. #45
    Dodgeball Yakuza
    Gaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The 7th circle

    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_Rekka View Post
    I seriously doubt Analogue is going to release an FPGA Neo Geo clone at all, let alone with a cart slot. It's way to niche of a system, the amount of people who own real carts is way to small for all that R&D to make the Neo FPGA in the first place. PlayStation would be the most realistic next release from Analogue.

    I personally can't wait for the Neo core to get released on the MiSTer.

    You're absolutely right, as much as it pains me to say it. The PSX would be the next logical choice or maybe the PC engine although that's is pretty niche as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    Planning a docking in West Korea anytime soon?
    It's getting pretty crowded at the Korean docks. How can 3 or more dock at the same time?
    Last edited by Gaston; 05-07-2019 at 04:42 AM.
    Neo Geo AES JP serial #108523 | Super Neo AES JP serial #081188

  21. #46
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    11,666
    Rear dockage is available in congested times at a reasonable price.


    !!

  22. #47
    Kuroko's Training Dummy
    kidchameleon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland

    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaston View Post
    I just love sticking big things in wide open slots.
    Lol

  23. #48
    Krauser's Shoe Shiner
    mikew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX

    Posts
    241
    I put together a MiSTer setup last week to test the 240P output and I was impressed. NES/SNES/Genesis/TurboGraphx-16 and Amiga cores were spot on. My only gripe was needing to use USB joysticks but I didn't notice any lag.

    There's an update script similar to the PI where you can just have it completely download and update itself so keeping up with all the new developments is very simple and it supports both wired and wireless network connections.

    Btw, The Amiga and x86 core also support midi but I haven't tested that yet.

  24. #49
    Rugal's Thug
    Lee_Rekka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SouthTown

    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew View Post
    I put together a MiSTer setup last week to test the 240P output and I was impressed. NES/SNES/Genesis/TurboGraphx-16 and Amiga cores were spot on. My only gripe was needing to use USB joysticks but I didn't notice any lag.

    There's an update script similar to the PI where you can just have it completely download and update itself so keeping up with all the new developments is very simple and it supports both wired and wireless network connections.

    Btw, The Amiga and x86 core also support midi but I haven't tested that yet.
    ElectronAsh is making an add on board called the LLCoolJoy, that will bypass having to use USB for controllers. But personally, I can't notice any perceivable lag over the USB at all, and I would say i'm very picky when it comes to input lag because I play on real hardware on CRT all the time.

  25. #50
    B. Jenet's Firstmate
    heihachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_Rekka View Post
    I seriously doubt Analogue is going to release an FPGA Neo Geo clone at all, let alone with a cart slot. It's way to niche of a system, the amount of people who own real carts is way to small for all that R&D to make the Neo FPGA in the first place. PlayStation would be the most realistic next release from Analogue.

    I personally can't wait for the Neo core to get released on the MiSTer.
    I thought I read somewhere that PSX/N64 capable FPGA chips are like a decade away from being feasible in reasonably priced consumer product.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •