MiSTer FPGA Neo Geo core

NexusX

Astra Superstar
This stuff is really interesting. Would it be possible, once all the research is done on this, to create new multi slot boards? Ones with Jamma connectors etc. that do not have input lag? Ive been following the furrtek guy for the last year, he really is doing "God's" work.

Presumably if you have the FPGA with native HDMI out to a modern tv it probably wouldn't have perceived input lag. Maybe a frame or two but nothing that you could really feel.

What I am really hoping to see out of this project is a MVS and AES DUAL slot board. The ultimate all in 1. I would throw down money for that. Add in a bios chip slot so we can easily upgrade (and support) the real unibios, and that would be great. I know that is a bit of a pipedream though.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
The MiSTer project head has been strongly opposed to adding support for any cartridge slots-he wants everything to be ROM-based. But it is open-source with many contributors, so who knows what could happen...

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Hmm strange that they are opposed to cart slots. It would be really nice to have a "new MVS" board that doesnt need to be recapped and wont eventually break down etc...

AES + MVS combo? Yes, shut up and take my money!!! How about my idea, an MVS "Octo slot"?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Just having an FPGA Neo Geo that operates in an identical fashion but with just ROM's would be fantastic. I could see the addition of a cart slot as a great extra but it's just that, an extra.

Ideally it will have HDMI out, USB controller ports and of course power. A cart slot, MVS and AES or even multi slots? Unnecessary.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Just having an FPGA Neo Geo that operates in an identical fashion but with just ROM's would be fantastic. I could see the addition of a cart slot as a great extra but it's just that, an extra.

Ideally it will have HDMI out, USB controller ports and of course power. A cart slot, MVS and AES or even multi slots? Unnecessary.

You are trying to have laggy USB ports?

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
A cart slot, MVS and AES or even multi slots? Unnecessary.

I'm thinking it will be necessary for all the MVS cabinets out there. I wouldn't like to have emulation or roms inside mine when my MVS boards inevitably die

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You are trying to have laggy USB ports?

USB is laggy? of course you could have a db15 out.

I'm thinking it will be necessary for all the MVS cabinets out there. I wouldn't like to have emulation or roms inside mine when my MVS boards inevitably die

As far as we know this project has no intention of including it.

I take it you're not fond of the NeoSD then?

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
I take it you're not fond of the NeoSD then?

I'm a huge admirer of Everdrives etc. Original carts themselves will eventually die out. I am happy for all avenues of preserving hardware & playing experience to exist. Emulation is great too! I will eventually purchase a Neo SD but my preference will always be real, genuine hardware or as close as we can get to it!

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'm a huge admirer of Everdrives etc. Original carts themselves will eventually die out. I am happy for all avenues of preserving hardware & playing experience to exist. Emulation is great too! I will eventually purchase a Neo SD but my preference will always be real, genuine hardware or as close as we can get to it!

The NeoSD is real hardware. It uses the exact same files that are on the rom chips in a cart.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, I think I know what KP meant, but wyo corrected his post. Using a NeoSD is real hardware if you mean the console itself, not the software medium.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Let Analogue have another go at it, they really know their stuff.
And yes, a cart slot is a must.

pva

Mega Shock!!

The cart slot would allow running NGDT/Neobitz carts, which haven't been, and probably won't in the foreseeable future be, (publicly) dumped.

However, I'd argue that the great unwashed masses aren't all that interested in homebrew/unlicensed software, and those of us who are, already own original hardware. This means that in the grand scheme of things, the cart slot would be, as you said, a nice-to-have extra at best.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
I'm not being funny, I'm trying to get my head around this. What would be the difference between having an FPGA Neo Geo running roms and a RPI3 running roms?

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
That's very interesting. Makes sense I suppose. I think I'm going to have to take the plunge and get the needed gear to get a core up and running.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
It's funny how everybody goes apeshit when a cheap device such as the pi is used for more than adequate emulation (with the usual caveats like input lag etc) of older systems but when somebody yells FGPA replication, it's all good.
FPGA is still an approximation of older hardware that simply works better than software emulation due to it's architecture, but it is still an approximation. The Super NT and the Mega SG show how it can rejuvenate older systems if done well and with the proper skills and granted - it is only one system per device but they are near perfect in every way. Do that for the Neo with a card slot that accepts both mvs and aes carts and I would hand over my cash immediately.
Loading up roms is still an option if you're a shelf queen but I just love sticking big things in wide open slots.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Loading up roms is still an option if you're a shelf queen but I just love sticking big things in wide open slots.

Planning a docking in West Korea anytime soon?

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
Let Analogue have another go at it, they really know their stuff.
And yes, a cart slot is a must.

I seriously doubt Analogue is going to release an FPGA Neo Geo clone at all, let alone with a cart slot. It's way to niche of a system, the amount of people who own real carts is way to small for all that R&D to make the Neo FPGA in the first place. PlayStation would be the most realistic next release from Analogue.

I personally can't wait for the Neo core to get released on the MiSTer.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
I seriously doubt Analogue is going to release an FPGA Neo Geo clone at all, let alone with a cart slot. It's way to niche of a system, the amount of people who own real carts is way to small for all that R&D to make the Neo FPGA in the first place. PlayStation would be the most realistic next release from Analogue.

You're absolutely right, as much as it pains me to say it. The PSX would be the next logical choice or maybe the PC engine although that's is pretty niche as well.

Planning a docking in West Korea anytime soon?

It's getting pretty crowded at the Korean docks. How can 3 or more dock at the same time?

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Rear dockage is available in congested times at a reasonable price.

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I put together a MiSTer setup last week to test the 240P output and I was impressed. NES/SNES/Genesis/TurboGraphx-16 and Amiga cores were spot on. My only gripe was needing to use USB joysticks but I didn't notice any lag.

There's an update script similar to the PI where you can just have it completely download and update itself so keeping up with all the new developments is very simple and it supports both wired and wireless network connections.

Btw, The Amiga and x86 core also support midi but I haven't tested that yet.

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
I put together a MiSTer setup last week to test the 240P output and I was impressed. NES/SNES/Genesis/TurboGraphx-16 and Amiga cores were spot on. My only gripe was needing to use USB joysticks but I didn't notice any lag.

There's an update script similar to the PI where you can just have it completely download and update itself so keeping up with all the new developments is very simple and it supports both wired and wireless network connections.

Btw, The Amiga and x86 core also support midi but I haven't tested that yet.

ElectronAsh is making an add on board called the LLCoolJoy, that will bypass having to use USB for controllers. But personally, I can't notice any perceivable lag over the USB at all, and I would say i'm very picky when it comes to input lag because I play on real hardware on CRT all the time.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman

I thought I read somewhere that PSX/N64 capable FPGA chips are like a decade away from being feasible in reasonably priced consumer product.