Resident Evil 2

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
efdMoeR.jpg

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I probably played through RE2 once when it first came out, so I don't remember anything about it. I was surprised that your knife has durability. Was that in the original RE2? I was caught off guard when my knife just disappeared and had to google what the fuck happened. I don't mind conserving ammo, and I'm really good at it, but I've always relied on the knife in most RE games. Limiting that with durability just seems arbitrary and makes the game more tedious, imo.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Can't wait to sink some real time into this. I tried it out on my PC rig last night for about a half hour, and damn, I was impressed.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
This is sig worthy.

I try to pride myself on being a civil person here. I.E., someone that can have a discussion or a disagreement with anyone and not have any hard feelings afterwards.

Saner is the one person in ALL the time I've been coming here, which is WAY more than the ten year badge attached to my profile (might need to talk to someone about that), -THE ONE PERSON, I absolutely cannot fucking stand. He doesn't understand that the only reason his presence is tolerated is because the forums want to see who is going to use him as a verbal punching bag and how bad it's going to get before we all start feeling bad about it. Saner has one use here, and it's as the village idiot.

You will never see me speak that way about anyone else here. Not even NeoAlec, and he's banned from my neo gathering.

Anyway, Resident Evil 2 talk.

I've found the first thing about this game that I legitimately don't like. Of course, it's plot related but not in the way you think.

In the original version of RE2, one of the Zapping System's nicer consequences was that the stories were different for each character. I.E. Leon's A scenario is different from his B scenario.

Now, ultimately, none of this matters in terms of gameplay but in terms of engagement, it bothers me that the character scenarios are exactly the same. Leon's A scenario and B scenario have the exact same cutscenes and the exact same events. What you do in the A scenario does not affect the other character in the B scenario in any way that I can tell. Even nonsensical stuff that I won't spoil here occurs in such a way that it treats us like idiots for having memories. The only differences I can tell are that the order in which you complete some of the puzzles is a little different. You can play more recklessly because you don't have to worry about the B scenario; they won't miss out on any items due to gluttonous gameplay you engage in during the A scenario.

Here is why this bugs me.

This game is, at the end of the day, nothing more than a glorious RE 7 mod that recreates, in painstaking detail, Resident Evil 2. This feels like the greatest fan production of all time I am not criticizing that. The changes to the environment and the enemy behavior are all intended to heighten the tension. Much like in Alien: Isolation, once the big bad guy is on the move, there is no sanctuary. In the PSX version, you could escape by simply zoning. They upped the stakes in Resident Evil 3 with the Nemesis, but that's not relevant to this opinion.

They went to extraordinary lengths to make this game a thematically faithful recreation of Resident Evil 2, only to skimp on the legitimate B scenarios that gave us truly different and unique takes on the storyline, different areas for each of the characters to navigate and different story beats to experience. In short, the replay of the original version is higher.

That doesn't automatically make this game 'bad' as some worthless shithead

Spoiler:
Saner

would have you believe, but it's noticeably lacking in a game that labored in nearly every other way to be an authentic recreation of the original experience updated for current gen.

But by no means should you take this as so deep a cut as to consider REmake 2 an unworthy game. It's still pretty damn awesome.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Is Saner not a girl...?

I thought Saner is a girl...

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Is Saner not a girl...?

I thought Saner is a girl...

I'm sorry I fed into this by responding to the 'sig worthy' comment.

Whether it is or not, I'd rather just talk about REmake 2 because joy is better than irritation.

EDIT: But just to be clear:

There was a time when I didn't believe Saner. I challenged him/her on it.

Now...I just don't fucking care. Anybody can be an idiot.

And unless Saner shows up to say more stupid shit, that's the last I have to say on 'that person'.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
So is RE2 better than Dead Island? :keke:

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Resident Evil 2 Remake is overpriced and overrated. people are easily suckered by graphics and AAA production values and nostalgia.

watch how the coming days and weeks more people will get tired of it and go back to playing games with actual quality replay value and games that can be played with others. games like RE2 are just a flash in the pan.

RE2R is too small and too quick a game to pour $60 for.

3 million copies shipped disagrees.
The remake will set a precedent for more to come

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Finished Leon A last weekend, and Claire B today. Working on Claire A now. For the two runs, I wanted to play the game with default settings, but for these second runs I’m using old OST, wacky costumes, deluxe edition guns, etc. Switching to the old OST is a huge improvement over the new one imo. Worth the extra $2.99 (bullshit Capcom didn’t include it in base game).

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Resident Evil 2 Remake is overpriced and overrated. people are easily suckered by graphics and AAA production values and nostalgia.

watch how the coming days and weeks more people will get tired of it and go back to playing games with actual quality replay value and games that can be played with others. games like RE2 are just a flash in the pan.

RE2R is too small and too quick a game to pour $60 for. and I'm a RE fan since it started out.

there are fans, and then there are fanatics. I'm not a fanatic.

the remake will get a significant price drop later, there are better games to save up for. that upcoming World War Z game does have potential to have tons more replay value and entertainment values.

now a Resident Evil Outbreak 1 or REO File#2 remaster or even solid port, would be worth getting for $60.

Why hasn't this asshole been War Room locked yet?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Got a B rating with Leon first run yesterday. :(
Fun game, but the last tyrant fight is bullshit and zombies take like, seven bullets to the head on normal difficulty. Later I just shot one leg off and ran past them.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Just finished both of the A/B Scenario Playthroughs. I did it on Assisted to get a feel for the game environment and the responsiveness and also because I just wanted to be able to study the game as I played it. It still had many intense moments with the tension ramped up. In terms of 'Survival Horror', the game does a really good job of forcing you to make choices at times that are a little inconvenient but in a good way that adds to the emotional engagement. I am sure that when I come back to the game and play on the 'unassisted' modes, it will be all new because the game won't be doing any of the aiming for me and I'll have to be even more careful about wasting ammunition. Ill probably play with the original music when I go back to it, as well. I decided to stick to the remake elements exclusively so that my experience was completely in tune with this new interpretation. Now that I have a feel for the environment and the layout, I'll add some new wrinkles with the altered costumes and OST and so forth.

A couple of things of note:

The 'Poisoned' debuff has an interesting new aspect I don't remember being in any other version of Resident Evil. In addition to slowly losing life, the character will occasionally be wracked by coughing fits that prevent running or fighting. All you can do is stagger around until it passes momentarily. This is a fascinating new mechanic for this effect because it adds to the intensity; even slow moving zombies are a greater threat when you find yourself with no wriggle room and unable to mount any resistance. This is a good device for enhancing the suspense and terror. In short, once you hit the sewers, always have at least one Blue Herb on you.

Another thing I noticed about this game is that Annette Birkin isn't really the same character in REmake 2. She fills the same role and plays her part in the recreation of the overall plot, but her views and reactions aren't exactly the same. She's more of an echo of the original version. I don't want to get into specifics or spoil it. I think the same can be said of Claire Redfield; a few minor attitude adjustments and shifts in tone, but in Claire's case I don't notice anything jarring in the variance. In the end, these quibbles don't diminish this game's story very much for me. It's just that I'm so very familiar with this series that I pick up on these things quicker than most. It's like going to a house with interior architecture very similar to yours but maybe there's a wall somewhere that isn't in your home or maybe the door to the garage is in a different spot. That sort of thing.

Haven't played 'The 4th Survivor' yet.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
So I got my Platinum on this yesterday, thanks to school be canceled for almost this entire week and me not having to go teach.

Pros on the remake:
Major replay value, with emphasis on the challenges under the "Records" section. I played this game all the way through a total of 8 times, plus the extra scenarios with Hunk and Tofu: Leon A Standard, Leon A Standard (for S rank), Claire B Assisted, Leon B Assisted, Leon A Assisted (No health items), Leon A Hardcore, Claire A Hardcore, Leon A Assisted (No item box). When I was done with that last run of the no item box challenge, I was just feeling really impressed by the game overall and how much I wanted to keep playing. I still refuse to go for an S+ rank. Still, learning where all the stuff is and whether some items are worth going out of the way for was really fun. I wonder how much I'll remember of item locations in like, a month. They made a game that has about the length of Super Metroid - might be 8+ hours the first time you play, but getting under 3 hours is absolutely doable and fun.

Multiple ways of dealing with enemies. For my later runs, I spent more of my ammo playing the game like Dead Space, the last good horror game. That's right, dismembering limbs was more important than headshots. I also came to understand more of the Lickers' behaviors, knowing when I'd be able to sneak past them by being quiet based on where I knew they'd show up. Mr. X became a sad joke. When you try to run past him and he does his throw on you, it does essentially no damage even on Hardcore.

Puzzles were satisfying, not just the "get key item here to get other key item there" thing. I mean the electrical puzzle, the dispersal drug puzzle, the portable safes, among others.

I liked the inventory expansion packs. They short you 3 of those on Hardcore which is a pain in the butt, but it's good to know where they are. Inventory management wasn't too much of a pain, even on the no item box run, unless you wanted to keep multiple weapons on you at once with stacks of ammo. I think that the expansions were a significant improvement on the original.

Fourth Survivor and Tofu Survivor were fucking rad, even if they were hard as nails.

Cons:
I agree a little bit on the zapping stuff. Other than the first half hour and the last 5 minutes of a B route, there is no significant difference between A and B routes. The only changes were puzzles, passcodes, etc. They probably could have done more here to make it feel like you're going through with a character just after the other one did: maybe more zombie bodies on the ground/dismembered, new cutscenes and files that deliver more background (lookin' at you, Ada Wong), a new area. I know that would add a lot of work, but it could have been done.

On that note, there isn't even that much difference between the characters' progression. Different guns, definitely, but the only areas and bosses that are different are the garage key segment and the final boss.

Leaving the save ribbons for Hardcore mode was a pretty neat addition, but ultimately useless on the lower difficulties since there was an auto-save feature anyway. Why bother saving on Assisted or Standard if the game auto-saves as frequently as it does?

My biggest gripe is the inconsistency with enemy stagger. People have been whining about how hard this game is, and it's not that bad once you've gotten into the habits they want you to have. The hard thing is that sometimes when you do something, there's an RNG that slaps you in the face. Go play on Hardcore and shoot the first zombie in the gas station. Sometimes he'll take 4 hits to the head before staggering, sometimes it's the first one.

Leon looks weird and isn't a total stud. I know he has to work towards his level of badass in RE4, but we don't even get much of a glimmer of it in this one. He needs to be cooler.

Final thoughts: I'm going to have to let this one sit for a while in my brain before I come up with a full conclusion of where I'd put this in my favorites of the numbered entries in the series. What I will say though is that it is definitely better than 3, 5, 6, and 7.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
The RNG is all over the place, even on normal. Sometimes you can take a zombie's head off with a point-blank shotgun (upgraded even) shot, other times they just keep on going.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I wish normal had save ribbons. I think the zombies are plenty tank-y already so I wouldn’t want to bump up to hardcore, but I miss the extra save management.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I finally sat down to play the game last night and when I got the knife and it told me it would degrade I went WHAT... Shit, I guess no more knifing zombies in the knees and then running past like in RE 4.

They give you a ton of knives over the course of the game, so I think you can totally do that here. Using the knives as a defensive item takes about 1/3 of the durability off so just don’t do that and you’re good.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Beat Leon B, so I’ve done all the campaigns now. Tried out 4th survivor and got pretty close to completion—up to second floor of police station near central lobby. I’m probably not going to attempt this again, but might see whether hardcore is something I can handle without too much difficulty.

Overall, game gets a solid A from me. Only real disappointment is how similar the scenarios are. Wish they could’ve found a way to differentiate them more.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I took Taiso's advice and went to Assisted mode to retrain myself to be more of a proper survivalist again and finished Leon A in 8 and a half hours, then moved to Claire A on Standard and finished in 5 and a half hours and got a B rank (no saves). Yesterday, I decided to try Leon A again on Standard this time and got S+ in 3 hours and 24 minutes (no saves)! Nowhere near ookitarepanda level, but heading in the right direction, lol.

I missed one Mr. Raccoon statue in Claire A, (got the one at the beginning of Claire B) so I'll run that one again to get the infinity Combat Knife...I really want that knife.