Wanting to play Symphony of the Night...

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
So...I've never played this game, was never into the PlayStation consoles...

What is my best option and ROI...

1) Find a modded PS1/2/3 and burn a copy.

2) find a x360 and get the konomi classic 1.

3) emulate...

I want to play on a tv so no PSP...

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I played it on my PS3 with no issues. I don't need achievements or trophies, so the 360 versions weren't needed for me. I enjoyed the game a lot, getting the best ending on my second playthrough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Could also play it on a Saturn with extra features + slow down + slight aspect ratio distortion.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
Probably X360 then if you have one.

Currently the PS4 version is a great way to play it.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,

3) emulate...

Playing on the PSP on a TV can be an easy option, but imo, the best way at this point is whatever platform's most convenient, Saturn version aside. If it's in your system's online store, go for it. If not, emulating the PS1 version shouldn't be with major issues. First time beaten for me was the PS1 version on a modded Xbox.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Playing on the PSP on a TV can be an easy option, but imo, the best way at this point is whatever platform's most convenient, Saturn version aside. If it's in your system's online store, go for it. If not, emulating the PS1 version shouldn't be with major issues. First time beaten for me was the PS1 version on a modded Xbox.

I don't have any of the PS variants not a 360. Might have to dig the OG Xbox out and see what's on it.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Is this an expensive game to find now or something? Why not buy a cheap PS1 and get the greatest hits version

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Is this an expensive game to find now or something? Why not buy a cheap PS1 and get the greatest hits version

It's not, but since emulating was an option on the table, to me it makes sense to suggest that instead of buying a system just to play one game.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy

There's a brand new Castlevania SoTN on eBay now for $41, but it's from Thailand, seems too cheap, and the guy only has 1 feedback... Things might have changed since I was looking for mine, but they're usually around $50-70ish for the greatest hits version (PS1 games overall aren't too pricy mostly, but the black label of this is the most expensive PS1 game I own - most other games CIB are around $10-30).

If he does go for an actual disc I would HIGHLY suggest buying a PS2 to play it on instead (last 3x PS2's off Craigslist/OfferUp were $30-50 for me). PS1 simply bogs down horribly for a great number of parts of the entire second half of the game in the inverted castle. PS2 still bogs down a bit, but nowhere near as drastically as the PS1 does. Like any old console, you'll need a decent upscaler if you want any sort of quality if you play it on a modern flatscreen TV.

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member

3) emulate...

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

3) emulate...

Do NOT play the xbox 360 version. When SOTN came out Microsoft had a rule that no market game could be over 420mb or some shit, so a lot of stuff is cut out. The best way to enjoy the game is still PS1. A loose greatest hits disc is cheap. Just watch this if you want way too much information.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...was never into the PlayStation consoles...

Then you probably won't like Sony's D-pad and comfy controls are the key feature for any video game. Seeing it from this perspective, the best option is the Saturn version. Never mind petty differences. If you're used to play any kind of game with a stick, digital or analogue, the the PS1 original is a valid choice.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Was able to load it up in the modded OG xbox. Played ok, going to keep playing Buster Bros.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Do NOT play the xbox 360 version. When SOTN came out Microsoft had a rule that no market game could be over 420mb or some shit, so a lot of stuff is cut out.

You sure about that? SoTN was always said was the FIRST (maybe only? - don't know) game to be allowed to go above the marketplaces MB limit.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

3) emulate...

Or put retroarch on your amazon fire and play everything.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Wow, I am so behind on emulators - retroarch looks pretty amazing

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
What is a man? [flings his wine glass aside] A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk! You shall play the ps1 OG version or none!

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Do NOT play the xbox 360 version. When SOTN came out Microsoft had a rule that no market game could be over 420mb or some shit, so a lot of stuff is cut out. The best way to enjoy the game is still PS1. A loose greatest hits disc is cheap. Just watch this if you want way too much information.

They removed two low poly and shitty looking FMV scenes and replaced the cheesy ending song, big deal.

Everything else you barely notice.

Last edited:

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
I scooped a PlayStation Mini as a new return the other week for $25CDN. I'm going to mod that with extra games (including SotN). Is that an option for you?