Is Ranger X/Ex-Ranza under appreciated?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Honest question. I remember when this game was released it was a big deal, and watching a playthrough yesterday it still looks amazing today. The graphics have to be amongst the best for the system - I'd say the character you control is the best designed and animated sprite of that whole generation, would have even been impressive for a Saturn game. The intros to the levels are mind boggling, minimalistic and haunting soundwise.

I never see much mention of this game when people speak about the Genesis/Megadrive but maybe there is and I'm wrong.
Even though it goes for a bit of money these days, comparatively speaking it is still reasonable (Hagane case in point, though SNES is a different beast and that game supposedly had a limited release in the States)

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I enjoyed it but the controls got to me after a while.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Sup DR, I’m with ya. This game is fantastic and I always loved the graphic style and soundtrack to this game as well. The objective-based structure of the stages always reminded me of a 2d predecessor of something like armored core’s missions (sans customization, of course).

I don’t see this game mentioned a lot either and I don’t think it ever hit services like the wii virtual console which even genesis cult favorites like musha eventually appeared on.

A would-be sega saturn style sequel would have been amazing; some of the bosses were a real sight to behold on the system:

Boss.gif

rangerx1.png

rangerx-7.png

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I remember the reviews here in Germany, it was compared to Assault Suits Valken and sometimes even received the better scores. Beside the mecha theme and the action-platformer genre, there isn't much to compare, though.

Ex-Ranza is a very clever game and according to Toshio Toyota, its programmer, they "created some specialized software tools that allow us to push the capabilities of the Megadrive to the limit". In this interview, he also states: "The Mega Drive has a number of problems, but I think it’s relatively easy to work with." Well, it certainly is easy, if you cut the frame rate from standard 60 to only 30 frames per second. This is a knock-out criterion for me, especially if you aim to push the system to the limit developing a fast scrolling action-game.

Valken remains 60fps throughout the whole game, it's more linear and less eager to experiment, but conservatism sells, and I like it far better than Ex-Ranza. With the 60 frame rate intact, Ranza would certainly be more interesting.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I remember the reviews here in Germany, it was compared to Assault Suits Valken and sometimes even received the better scores. Beside the mecha theme and the action-platformer genre, there isn't much to compare, though.

Ex-Ranza is a very clever game and according to Toshio Toyota, its programmer, they "created some specialized software tools that allow us to push the capabilities of the Megadrive to the limit". In this interview, he also states: "The Mega Drive has a number of problems, but I think it’s relatively easy to work with." Well, it certainly is easy, if you cut the frame rate from standard 60 to only 30 frames per second. This is a knock-out criterion for me, especially if you aim to push the system to the limit developing a fast scrolling action-game.

Valken remains 60fps throughout the whole game, it's more linear and less eager to experiment, but conservatism sells, and I like it far better than Ex-Ranza. With the 60 frame rate intact, Ranza would certainly be more interesting.

That's very interesting. I think the speed and smoothness (even in 30fps) of the game is what pushes it above the standard mech game and makes it so impressive in my eyes.
The colour palette expansion is there, if it's at all noticeable is another matter - the game is beautifully rendered colourwise.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I never see much mention of this game when people speak about the Genesis/Megadrive but maybe there is and I'm wrong.

I believe it is under-appreciated. Whenever I mention it outside of gaming forums people don't know what I'm talking about. It's an all-time great, IMO.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yes, it's very under appreciated. For a number of reasons.

It was released late in the console's life cycle.
It almost required a 6 button controller. Nobody i knew had a 6 button controller.
It's challenging. It's not hard because it takes cheap shots, but you need to be immersed.

This is one of the few games i rented several times in a row. I did not have a 6 button controller, so it made the initial attempts seem overly complicated. It eventually clicked, and i really started to appreciated the game. You can't run through it blindly. It was underappreciated when it launched. People didn't know anything about this game.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I got this in the early 2000s. The control scheme put me off despite the excellent graphics and theme.

And to be honest, you know, if the first level doesn't pull me in then it doesn't hold my interest for long. The first level felt a bit generic.

I would definitely give it another try now to see if I like it.

fake

15 Year Member
I can never get far in the game. There's an underground level - maybe level 2 or 3 - which has a time limit but is super confusing. I've never been able to figure out WTF I'm supposed to do. I'll have to check out a playthrough on YouTube. Excellent mech designs, though.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I can never get far in the game. There's an underground level - maybe level 2 or 3 - which has a time limit but is super confusing. I've never been able to figure out WTF I'm supposed to do. I'll have to check out a playthrough on YouTube. Excellent mech designs, though.

I mean, exactly this. I can appreicate the people put in a lot of hours to make this game look good and smooth but...it's just not fun to play? And confusing, sure. Not LucasArts confusing but still. If I have a choice between nearly any other Genesis platformers and Ranger-X - even something ridiculous like Shadow Warriors - then I won't choose Ranger-X.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I appreciate the visuals and music, but it's not my cup of tea. Did beat even though it's kind of a pain in the butt, but don't have a desire to ever play it again.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I mean, exactly this. I can appreicate the people put in a lot of hours to make this game look good and smooth but...it's just not fun to play? And confusing, sure. Not LucasArts confusing but still. If I have a choice between nearly any other Genesis platformers and Ranger-X - even something ridiculous like Shadow Warriors - then I won't choose Ranger-X.

Just like an adventure game, you feel like an idiot when you see it's not that complicated.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Just like an adventure game, you feel like an idiot when you see it's not that complicated.

I am an idiot. Most people think their intelligence is above-average. I am definitely average or below-average.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I am definitely average or below-average.

If that's so, then what are your students? It's you, who teaches them, right? Not the other way around. They depend on you, they improve, they progress etc. I couldn't teach a fish how to swim, you know.