Facebook messages- deletion?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Does anyone here have experience with Facebook? Is it possible to delete a message you've sent on Messenger a few days ago (meaning, the message will be deleted from your inbox, as well as from the recipient's inbox), if it hasn't yet been marked as read by the recipient?

I've read about a method where you mark the message you sent as spam, then delete it, then deactivate your account for approximately 3-4 hours, or 3-5 days (according to some sources). But there might be unintended consequences to doing that- Facebook might give you a warning for sending spam, or do something else.

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
He told joe7 he wants to have his babies but wants to delete it before joe4 finds out.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Does anyone here have experience with Facebook? Is it possible to delete a message you've sent on Messenger a few days ago (meaning, the message will be deleted from your inbox, as well as from the recipient's inbox), if it hasn't yet been marked as read by the recipient?

I've read about a method where you mark the message you sent as spam, then delete it, then deactivate your account for approximately 3-4 hours, or 3-5 days (according to some sources). But there might be unintended consequences to doing that- Facebook might give you a warning for sending spam, or do something else.
Why would you want to do something like that?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Why would you want to do something like that?
Well, it's possible, although unlikely, that they haven't read the message yet. I would assume they could have read the whole incoming message in Facebook Messenger, without having it be marked as having been read? I haven't figured out yet how you do that, though. You can see the first few words of a message, in the side column on Messenger, without opening it.

Last edited:

Gog

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Simply delete your entire Facebook account. Job done.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Simply delete your entire Facebook account. Job done.
Quite radical, but it is a solution to a certain extend. The other can still see the message, but not respond.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The other can still see the message, ...

That's what he's trying to avoid. But what was it? What have you done joe8? What? What just popped in there? Did you sent her a pic of a harmless thing? Something you loved from your childhood? Something that could never, ever possibly destroy your relationship? Oh, shit. It was your Stay Puft Marshmallow Man...

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Drunk messages are best messages.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
If you cut and paste it here, it will be removed from Messenger. This is the only way.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Drunk messages are best messages.

The best way I don't do drunk messages is to type them out and then remember, "I made a promise to my sober self to never send messages drunk."

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Get a new name, move countries, teach ESL.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Dude this is like the 8th time you done this...Time for new name Joe9.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I just checked my Facebook account, replied to a message in Messenger, and, when I looked to the left of said message, and clicked on "..." there was an option to delete said message. I assume that's what you want? I also checked a several months old message, that I had sent to one of my younger sisters, about her wedding last August, and the delete option was available for that one too.

facebook message delete.png

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I just checked my Facebook account, replied to a message in Messenger, and, when I looked to the left of said message, and clicked on "..." there was an option to delete said message. I assume that's what you want? I also checked a several months old message, that I had sent to one of my younger sisters, about her wedding last August, and the delete option was available for that one too.

View attachment 52890
That method only deletes the message in your own inbox, not the other person's.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
They're going to see your message.

Claim your account with messenger was hacked is about your only option.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
they have restraining orders over there too?

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
That method only deletes the message in your own inbox, not the other person's.

you do know that if they already used it for what they intended, wrote it down, or took screen shots it doesn't matter, right?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Joe8 got mad because he had been using his boss' personal bathroom. The boss called him out in an office-wide memo. Joe8 FB messaged him, calling him an ego maniac and a laughing stock and then proclaiming that he quit. When Joe8 realized he didn't have any skills with which to get a new job, he realized he's going to need to delete that message.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
If I ever have a child, one of the principles I will imprint onto them will be:

Never, never, never burn bridges.

It does nothing to gain you a net positive and everything to lose you something.

In this age of social media, don't delete or block friends...just block whatever they post.

It's a new world we live, best play by the rules because this isn't the Total Recall future where we can be...miners...on Mars...