Elgato HD 60 S help

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I am about ready to throw the fucking thing through a wall :blow_top:

Here's the story. Purchase Elgato HD 60 S, works fine...when it wants to.

Turn PC on today, capture a 30 minute video of Dreamcast gameplay. Signal acquired, video shows up in capture software.

Turn Dreamcast off, change game. Turn Elgato software back on....

and fuck you...no image for you.

Signal is found fine, reports as 1080p60 (going through Framemeister)

restart computer, shut down computer, change USB ports, cut a chicken and drip its blood on the keyboard...nothing.

If I try tomorrow...might work!

Basically, the Elgato just decided when and where it is going to show video. It will ALWAYS acquire the signal, but it'll just show a black screen. Maybe 1 out of 10 attempts I will actually get audio and video.

I am close to just buying a different brand of capture card at this point in time but damn it these things aren't cheap.

Google has been no help.

Does anyone have ANY idea?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I've also unplugged every USB device minus the Elgato and I still get the signal found/no image issue.

There is no pattern or port that works 100% of the time. I've verified drivers/software are up to date.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Is the preview off? It lightens the cpu load when it is.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Is the preview off? It lightens the cpu load when it is.

Yes. Plus the encoding is done via my 1080 Ti.

CPU utilization across the entire system w/ the software running is 18-20%

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I have to replug the USB basically between every recording. Powering off the currently connected system basically guarantees it will lose sync and get messed up. When you start a new recording, make sure you can see the preview and it looks right before leaving it alone. Unless you make absolutely certain, chances are you're going to have no file when you're done.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I have to replug the USB basically between every recording. Powering off the currently connected system basically guarantees it will lose sync and get messed up. When you start a new recording, make sure you can see the preview and it looks right before leaving it alone. Unless you make absolutely certain, chances are you're going to have no file when you're done.

Even after multiple restarts I won’t get an image.

I got it running last night. Killed the process in task manager, relaunched, and repeated 8 times. On the 9th time I opened the capture software I got an image.

Rock solid till I was done. Quit app and relaunched to see if it would still work, and no image.

Got I hate this piece of crap lol

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I've had better luck with it when I connect it to a faster machine. Make sure you select the right console. It isn't a big fan of the Framemeister.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Can it use GPU acceleration? Are your specs higher than the recommended specs? Do you have any other software (Premiere, Quicktime Pro) that could capture the image so you can test whether the issue is with the device or with the software?

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Can it use GPU acceleration? Are your specs higher than the recommended specs? Do you have any other software (Premiere, Quicktime Pro) that could capture the image so you can test whether the issue is with the device or with the software?
Yes it can work with GPU acceleration.

In my experience, using a PC with better specs is key to better reliability with this device. The main system I currently use barely gets the job done for pixel art games at 1080p only, and I have to replug it all the time. Don't have these problems on my brother's newer gen i5.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Yes it can work with GPU acceleration.

In my experience, using a PC with better specs is key to better reliability with this device. The main system I currently use barely gets the job done for pixel art games at 1080p only, and I have to replug it all the time. Don't have these problems on my brother's newer gen i5.

I have an i7 with a 1080Ti. Specs aren’t the issue.

Even w/ Xbox / PS4 / Switch (removing the Framemeister entirely) its maybe 1/10 launches of the software that will actually show an image.

I think it’s an issue with the USB drivers. Still noodling around. But specs aren’t an issue. Everything is being encoded by the GPU, and the utilization of that when encoding is sub 50%

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Btw I finally solved this and am leaving the answer here in case anyone else suffers from the same issue.

A Windows 10 update changed the power profile on my USB configuration, and my system was not sending enough power to the Elgato when the computer was running.

Going into Device Manager and toggling this solved the issue.

I only noticed this when suddenly drive to drive xfer's via USB 3.0 started throttling up and down with severe spikes. After searching out that problem and finding the power profile had changed did I realize that may have been what was giving the Elgato issues.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Thanks for posting that. I'm going to check my power profile.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Thanks for posting that. I'm going to check my power profile.

hope it helps! Now with my Elgato it works maybe 7 out of 10 of the time, which for the Elgato seems pretty standard. Definitely still need to quite and relaunch the app once or twice on occasion.

Also if you run into the "already running" error, kill the process in task manager. For some reason the Elgato software never fully quits unless you kill it

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
7 out of 10? Sounds like you're up to about where I am.

The biggest thing to watch for with the Elgato is that it's actually recording when you start it. You have to enable the preview in software and make sure it's showing video. Also that the counter is moving. The problem usually occurs for me after a hard reset or power off of the game console; anything that makes it temporarily lose sync. I usually have to replug the USB to fix it. Otherwise you'll find you have no file recorded when you finish your session.