LucasArts adventure games

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yeah. Sierra > LucasArts. Only just though.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Most Sierra games were trash though, but they got better later on. Gabriel Knight is probably my favorite from them.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Most Sierra games were trash though, but they got better later on. Gabriel Knight is probably my favorite from them.

Leisure Suit Larry was my go to growing up, I remember trying really hard to answer the Age Quiz questions and getting stumped with the response “YOU’RE A KID!” Then my mate showed me the CTRL-ALT-X hack and it was on like Donkey Kong.

Police Quest, Space Quest and Kings Quest are all great too.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Gabriel Knight was great. I remember the scenes being pretty graphic, which was wild at the time.
But I loved the Cajun/Southern setting, and the ties to Voodoo lore. Can’t remember if the puzzles were difficult or not.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Leisure Suit Larry was my go to growing up, I remember trying really hard to answer the Age Quiz questions and getting stumped with the response “YOU’RE A KID!” Then my mate showed me the CTRL-ALT-X hack and it was on like Donkey Kong.

Police Quest, Space Quest and Kings Quest are all great too.

Games were artifically hard and unfair to sell more hintbooks.

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
This used to and I guess still is to some degree one of my favorite styles of games (Point and Clicks).

You can't really go wrong with any of the Lucasarts / Lucasfilm releases in that style, although I've not really pleased The Dig or Loom before.

Monkey Island, Monkey Island 2 and Curse of Monkey Island are up there for me, Full Throttle is great fun but quite a short game compared to the others. I'm replaying Day of the Tentacle on PS4 right now and it's harder than I remember (maybe I'm getting thicker - In more ways than one :) )

Also try Thimbleweed Park.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I don't think you can actually miss critical items in their games, but with the early games it's easy to get stuck.

Maniac Mansion becomes unwinnable if a character carrying a critical item (such as the glowing key) or with a needed ability dies. Or waste the paint remover on anything but the paint blotch.
ZakMcKracken becomes unwinnable for the same reason and if you just throw random needed items into the artifact mailbox in San Francisco. Or return to Earth with the two girls on Mars without doing what you need to do there. Or just running out of money.
You can theoretically get stuck in Indy 3 if you run almost out of health in the castle and can't get past one of the guards (not all can be bribed or talked out of it). There was no cheat button to win fights in Indy 3. Pressing 0 on the numpad in Indy 4 lets you win fight immediately, thank fuck because the fights in 3 were trash.

Nothing compared to Sierra's games though.

Shroom you're a fag as hell up in this bitch right now but I still like you.

PC games to me are as foreign as aliens to me, tbh. Still surprised I've never heard of The Dig before.

The_Dig_artwork.jpg

Bitchin box art. Reminds me of The Thing.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Lucasarts games were a staple growing up.

I really enjoyed re-playing thru fate of atlantis.

If you have a sound canvas, or want to fire up a MT32 emulator, you can have a lot of fun enjoying them with enhanced soundtracks. With some help of DosBOX and VOGONS forums, you can re-play a lot of these using a general midi module. I replayed fate of atlantis with a real SC-55 for music, and DosBOX handling the vocals. It was a real treat.

Favorites of course were DOTT and Sam and Max, also the Monkey Island series.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I've never played the LA adventure games, but used to solve Sierra games so they're probably way easy in comparison.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion were some of my fav games growing up - I would def re-play them again today too, I bet they would hold up just fine

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Adventure Game was the first of the LucasArts games that I played. It actually complements and expands the mythology of the movie really well...it even has multiple endings (like you can prevent Elsa from dying like in the movie).

I've played most of them and the majority tend to hold up better than a number of the Sierra games.

I also want to second the mention of Thimbleweed Park. That game is like a never-produced Maniac Mansion 3. It had me enthralled from beginning to crazy end.