LucasArts adventure games

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle. Anyone here like them? Or dislike? I'm not smart so I never tried before, but have thought of getting them for the iPad.

Also could a stupid person play these games and make it through them?

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I loved Grim Fandango.

I had the original PC release which I completed and I got the HD remaster for the PS4 which I also completed.
My Ms enjoyed it also.

Never played the other 2 though.

Gog

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
All three are fantastic games. Grim Fandango has by far the best plot, but I’m especially fond of Day Of The Tentacle as I love Looney Tunes and Chuck Jones, and the game captures that whole cartoon aesthetic perfectly.

I’m not especially smart either and there are some moon logic puzzles, but that’s what walkthroughs are for. Even if you’re using a walkthrough for the majority of the games I’d still say they’re worth playing for how unique and amusing they are.

If you do get on with them I’d also recommend picking up the Broken Sword games too.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
LucasArts adventures are a brand where you cannot go wrong honestly. Some are better, some are a little worse - in general they are great.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
LucasArts is one of my all-time favorite game companies, in my mind they are still the best western game developer. Their variety and originality was unparalleled in the 90s. LucasArts defined my windows gaming experience in the late 90s / early 2000s, I still miss them. There's been the odd new game made by former LucasArts developers, but it's hard for those games to really capture that original charm.

Of the original SCUMM-based games, I've completed Maniac Mansion, Secret of Monkey Island, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max Hit the Road, The Dig and Curse of Monkey Island. I highly recommend all of those games, they all offer that quintessential LucasArts quality. The original Maniac Mansion is a bit atypical with its non-linear flow and multiple endings though, so it's not really the easiest game to start on. Loom is also very odd, as it doesn't use verbs like the other games, I recommend it if you want a strange game.

I also recommend Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island, but keep in mind these aren't SCUMM games so you'd either need ResidualVM or modern ports or the original PC releases.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The games are great but yea, like others have mentioned they have some moon logic puzzles that require you to TRY EVERYTHING in your inventory. Fun games though, Full Throttle and Sam and Max are top shelf for me. The others are all good though. Monkey Island games being a highlight as well.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
The Dig has some really hard puzzles, which is surprising for a game with a small amount of inventory items and simplified verb-free system. Loom also has no verb system, instead you use musical chord and tones. Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken are two of the tougher games just on the fact they have a ton of inventory items and non-linear progression. Maniac Mansion in particular has a lot of useless items, making it more complex than it actually is.

Out of all the LucasArts adventure games, I recommend Secret of Monkey Island for first timers. It offers good challenge, takes a good several hours to finish and the story is still highly witty even today. Be sure to use the VGA Floppy disk version, the later CD edition had a couple jokes removed.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Not really anything to add to this, but Lucas arts games were a huge part of my childhood and some of my favorite relaxing games of all time. I would definitely say give them a try. Also the newest Ron Gilbert game Thimbleweed Park is great too.

Leback

Stakes Winner
Lucasarts and Westwood Studios were my favorite pc game developers back in the 90's. Can highly recommend Day of the Tentacle and the Monkey Island games. I think I will replay Day of the Tentacle soon too. The tablet format seems like a perfect fit for these kind of games.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
God how did I forget the Monkey Island games!?

Yes play them absolute essential games to play!

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
They’re all great! Full Throttle and Monkey Island being the standouts for me.

Leback

Stakes Winner
Play The Dig and tell us your thoughts.
Yeah never played The Dig but it looks really interesting, don't know why I never tried it before. Another great game is the second part of The Legend of Kyrandia trilogy, Hand of fate, from Westwood Studios. That was the first game that got me hooked on this genre.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
The Dig was one of my favourites BITD. Great music and atmosphere, good story premise, and the puzzles weren’t that difficult from what I remember. I liked a lot of the old Lucas Arts games, even though I’ve only actually finished 2 of them: The Dig and Indiana Jones.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Of the classic, pre-3D games, Full Throttle is the only one I've never completed. Yes, I even played through Loom on hard.
The Dig had that annoying turtle puzzle.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
This is a genre that I really do love but rarely play since I didn't have a PC yet when most of these games came out. I did load up The Dig on scummvm on the Wii (wiimote works great with this) and it was a good time.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
I only came here to say that Day of the Tentacle is code speak for schlong.

Incidentally it was also the funniest Lucasarts game ever imo.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
The scalpel item in Day of the Tentacle is good for all kinds of disturbing laughs when used on various characters, mostly by Bernard and Laverne.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The Dig is my favorite, but I didn't play it until ~12 years ago. I had no idea what the game was about based on the boxart, and so I never even bothered to check it out.

Some are much harder than others, but I don't recall LucasArts having deaths like Space/King Quest.

TBH, i usually just throw on a Longplay of the Talkie ones if I want to revisit them.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Grim Fandango remains, to me, one of the most impressive games I’ve ever played. Between the music and the art style alone, not even talking story, it’s a top 10 game

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Some are much harder than others, but I don't recall LucasArts having deaths like Space/King Quest.

Their adventure games had deaths and dead ends until the release of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
It is possible to die in

Maniac Mansion
Zak McKracken (also possible to fuck yourself into an unwinnable situation easily)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Fate of Atlantis
Monkey Island 1

Fate of Atlantis was released after Monkey Island 2, so Cuntz is wrong as usual.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Dying is fine, it's missing an item you require to complete the game and not being able to go back and get it that is infuriating. I don't recall Lucasarts having that problem in their games, but admittedly I haven't played many.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I don't think you can actually miss critical items in their games, but with the early games it's easy to get stuck.

Maniac Mansion becomes unwinnable if a character carrying a critical item (such as the glowing key) or with a needed ability dies. Or waste the paint remover on anything but the paint blotch.
ZakMcKracken becomes unwinnable for the same reason and if you just throw random needed items into the artifact mailbox in San Francisco. Or return to Earth with the two girls on Mars without doing what you need to do there. Or just running out of money.
You can theoretically get stuck in Indy 3 if you run almost out of health in the castle and can't get past one of the guards (not all can be bribed or talked out of it). There was no cheat button to win fights in Indy 3. Pressing 0 on the numpad in Indy 4 lets you win fight immediately, thank fuck because the fights in 3 were trash.

Nothing compared to Sierra's games though.

Last edited: