Weekly Roundup 1-13-19

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
DS/3DS
Dragon Quest VI - Gave up on the last boss after reading how to beat him. I did it on my first playthough years ago - I think I'm good.

Warioware Gold - Even though its a greatest hits of minigames, it's as addictive as ever. Too bad Mario Party 100 or whatever it was called wasn't as good.

Dokapon Journey - For some reason I skipped this game when it came out. What can I say? It's Dorkapon Kingdom portable. Seems like it's a pretty long winded game to me, but it's fun.

Switch
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - still pluggin' away at the spirit mode.

Taiko No Tatsujin (UK Version)- I never realized this game came out in the US. Looks like they didn't ever release the drum controller for it.

iOS
Sega Heroes - Usually I bock at mobile games, but this one is fun + addictive.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
3DS:
Pokemon Ultra Moon- Started this one a few months ago and got right to the end and stopped. Came back and finished it up this week.

Switch:
Super Smash Bros Ultimate

GBA:
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Dead Space - beat this week and got a lot of my achievements back

PS3
Final Fantasy X HD - made a no encounter weapon so I can do the butterfly challenge and thunder bolt dodging easier

Switch
Super Mario Odyssey - started this one. It's phenomenal. At the Wooded kingdom now

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Switch
Sega Ages Outrun
Thrash Rally

Arcade/Switch
Strikers 1945 plus

Arcade/Switch/NES Classic
Donkey Kong

Arcade
Neo Driftout New Technology
Point Blank

XBOX 360
Daytona USA
Hang On
Outrun 2 SP

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
PS4: Started Dark Souls 3, the Undead Settlement seems very Bloodborne-esque. especially some of the enemies like the fat spellcasting ladies and the crucified red-eyed werewolves or whatever.

Oh, and I also got Ikaruga from the ps store.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
ps2

gungrave overdose: i think i like this more than the first game. certainly a lot easier and has more of a variety in gameplay. also great presentation as usual.

simpsons hit and run. i think i've bought this game like twenty times now. best simpsons game ever.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Nintendo 2DS
- Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (Special Team Eliminating the Alien Menace)
Turn-based, 3rd-person shooter/strategy game, something like X-COM, that, despite taking place in England, has an alternative history steampunk storyline involving American figures/legends like Abraham Lincoln and John Henry. Pretty cool but tough (I tend to be overly aggressive, rather than exercising some patience and strategic planning, which usually ends in failed missions). I wish there was an overhead map of the levels, but, of course, that would ruin the aliens' ambushes and flanking maneuvers.

This was actually the second time I ordered this title from GameStop. On the first attempt, last year, they told me that they had "unforseen inventory problems", couldn't fill the order, and refunded the money back onto my gift card. That's all well and good, except the VERY NEXT DAY after issuing my refund they relisted the game on their web site as being in stock and "usually ships in 24 hours". The fuck? Well, I still wanted the game, so, I tried again and everything worked out the second time, and even better at that, because I ended up getting Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. for free with this attempt (they had one of their "buy-2-get-1-free" promotions going on), and they also had free shipping if you spent at least $35, which I took advantage of, so, I can't complain (even though I just did).

- Crush 3D
GameStop-exclusive port of the PSP game. Rotating and "crushing" 3D environments down into two-dimensional affairs to facilitate exploration and item collection is an interesting gameplay concept that works out pretty well. It's engaging/challenging in small doses (I typically only play through a couple of stages at a time), but I wouldn't want to do marathon sessions, as my brain can only take so much of this spatial puzzling sort of thing.
- Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters
Metroidvania game starring Hal Jordan that's pretty meh. Nice graphics, but the gameplay is kind of slow/clunky, especially the combat. It froze up on me once too. I like being called a "Poozer" by Kilowog though, because a Poozer in all I am, all I ever was, and all I will ever be.
- Heroes of Ruin
On the fourth chapter, 19th experience level with my Vindicator character, and at 50% overall completion.
- Nintendo Badge Arcade
1,121 badges and counting . . .
- Pokemon Rumble World
66th rank and 587 Pokemon caught. Trying to save up for the most expensive balloon, which costs 200 Pokediamonds, and that will probably take about another month to do (I've got 106 right now). You can buy Pokediamonds with real money any time that you want, but I refuse to fall into Nintendo's pay-to-play trap (and, honestly, that money would be better spent on getting Pokemon Rumble Blast instead, which is essentially the same game, but a stand-alone cartridge release, rather than this free virtual game with optional cash transactions).
- Pokemon Shuffle
- Shinobi
Awesome love letter to fans of the series. Pretty tough/unforgiving at times, but, nobody ever said being a ninja was easy. Even though it's brief, I particularly loved the return of the horseriding sub-stage from Shinobi 3 (although it's an angled, behind-the-rider view, instead of sidescrolling, in this game). There are few experiences in life as pure as feeling the wind rippling across your cowl as you cut down fools with your ninjato while galloping through the trees on the back of your trusty steed. But know that you will never get all of the enemy's caked blood and entrails out of its hooves, no matter how much you scrape and wipe. Ninja.
- SwapDoodle

Nintendo DS
- Metroid Prime Pinball

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Mega Drive
Forgotten Worlds - 1CC'd this thrice. Trying to get 1 million+ points.

Smitch
Sonic Mania Plus - Was at the final boss when this crashed. Yay.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Nintendo 2DS
Turn-based, 3rd-person shooter/strategy game, something like X-COM, that, despite taking place in England, has an alternative history steampunk storyline involving American figures/legends like Abraham Lincoln and John Henry. Pretty cool but tough (I tend to be overly aggressive, rather than exercising some patience and strategic planning, which usually ends in failed missions). I wish there was an overhead map of the levels, but, of course, that would ruin the aliens' ambushes and flanking maneuvers.

This was actually the second time I ordered this title from GameStop. On the first attempt, last year, they told me that they had "unforseen inventory problems", couldn't fill the order, and refunded the money back onto my gift card. That's all well and good, except the VERY NEXT DAY after issuing my refund they relisted the game on their web site as being in stock and "usually ships in 24 hours". The fuck? Well, I still wanted the game, so, I tried again and everything worked out the second time, and even better at that, because I ended up getting Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. for free with this attempt (they had one of their "buy-2-get-1-free" promotions going on), and they also had free shipping if you spent at least $35, which I took advantage of, so, I can't complain (even though I just did).

- Crush 3D
GameStop-exclusive port of the PSP game. Rotating and "crushing" 3D environments down into two-dimensional affairs to facilitate exploration and item collection is an interesting gameplay concept that works out pretty well. It's engaging/challenging in small doses (I typically only play through a couple of stages at a time), but I wouldn't want to do marathon sessions, as my brain can only take so much of this spatial puzzling sort of thing.
- Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters
Metroidvania game starring Hal Jordan that's pretty meh. Nice graphics, but the gameplay is kind of slow/clunky, especially the combat. It froze up on me once too. I like being called a "Poozer" by Kilowog though, because a Poozer in all I am, all I ever was, and all I will ever be.
- Heroes of Ruin
On the fourth chapter, 19th experience level with my Vindicator character, and at 50% overall completion.
- Nintendo Badge Arcade
1,121 badges and counting . . .
- Pokemon Rumble World
66th rank and 587 Pokemon caught. Trying to save up for the most expensive balloon, which costs 200 Pokediamonds, and that will probably take about another month to do (I've got 106 right now). You can buy Pokediamonds with real money any time that you want, but I refuse to fall into Nintendo's pay-to-play trap (and, honestly, that money would be better spent on getting Pokemon Rumble Blast instead, which is essentially the same game, but a stand-alone cartridge release, rather than this free virtual game with optional cash transactions).
- Pokemon Shuffle
- Shinobi
Awesome love letter to fans of the series. Pretty tough/unforgiving at times, but, nobody ever said being a ninja was easy. Even though it's brief, I particularly loved the return of the horseriding sub-stage from Shinobi 3 (although it's an angled, behind-the-rider view, instead of sidescrolling, in this game). There are few experiences in life as pure as feeling the wind rippling across your cowl as you cut down fools with your ninjato while galloping through the trees on the back of your trusty steed. But know that you will never get all of the enemy's caked blood and entrails out of its hooves, no matter how much you scrape and wipe. Ninja.
- SwapDoodle

Nintendo DS
- Metroid Prime Pinball
Did you give up on paper Mario?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

@M

20 Year Member
At the moment, yes, but I may go back to it again.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Nintendo 2DS

I really wanted to like this game but it was just too brutal on the difficulty. The AI is relentless and I always had problems getting taken out late in missions. I loved the setting and the characters but I couldn't make it past mission 8 or so. I hope you have better luck than I did with it.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
PS4

Tales of Vesperia

How is this compared to the Xbawks original? Is there enough added content to make it worth playing again? I was thinking of getting it for Switch.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I never owned an Xbox and only knew the original by reputation, so I can't really say. Supposedly there is nearly double the amount of voice acting, a couple of extra characters, and a lot more dungeons. They switched the English VA for the main character, but it is subtle enough that I didn't notice it despite the fact I'm already past several expanded scenes.

@M

20 Year Member
I really wanted to like this game but it was just too brutal on the difficulty. The AI is relentless and I always had problems getting taken out late in missions. I loved the setting and the characters but I couldn't make it past mission 8 or so. I hope you have better luck than I did with it.

Yeah, I agree it's fairly tough. I'm only on the third mission of the first chapter right now. While I don't like playing a level over-and-over, when you do, you learn where the aliens are hiding out and what kind of shenanigans they're going to try to pull. I usually get killed when the map is almost done too. Like I said, I think my problem is I'm just too impatient and take too many risks. I think the programmers want you to just sit behind cover and wait for a dumb alien to wander into your gun sights, but that's not much fun.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Is it any good?
There was a thread on it awhile back... it is a legit Valkyria game and not anything like that Revolutions trash from awhile back. It is not quite VC1 tier though... the writing and gameplay are solid but not the end-to-end masterpiece that the first one was. Basically, play VC1 first, play VC4 if you want more after VC1 is done.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
There was a thread on it awhile back... it is a legit Valkyria game and not anything like that Revolutions trash from awhile back. It is not quite VC1 tier though... the writing and gameplay are solid but not the end-to-end masterpiece that the first one was. Basically, play VC1 first, play VC4 if you want more after VC1 is done.

Aye aye, I've played the first one on both PS3/4 :D