(Sub)Urban Coyotes

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Gaiz I just shit a brick...

Last month I started finding monster shits in my yard––bigger than dog poo and featuring furballs and all sorts of toppings. Shortly thereafter, my neighbor told me he saw a coyote walking from the street into my side yard, so I've started taking a flashlight with me when I bring my dog out for a final pee and poo sesh, which is at 10PM.

Tonight, my flashlight started dying as we walked down the stairs of the back deck. Just as I got to the bottom, it flickered back on and the light hit this brown-grey shape smoothly making its way out from behind the shed. For a half second I thought I was just freaking myself out, but then I got some eye shine. I've never seen a coyote in person before (except for one time when from my car I saw a rabid one in the middle of the street in a different town) and panicked. I dragged my dog back inside and closed the door. I had read that you're supposed to make noise and scare the coyote away so that it hopefully doesn't come back but when I ran back down the stairs it was gone.

My dog is a corgi, and he's even small for a corgi. In other words, easy prey for a coyote. I'd imagine a coyote would be scared of a human, but would possibly attack a human with a tasty corgi tagging along.

Is there anything I can do to keep them away? Should I carry a big stick at night and stay vigilant? Endow me with rural wisdom.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
The problem is that the "human" population continues to grow. By doing so, the land that coyotes & other animals live in continues to shrink. I've seen coyotes all over the place around here. I recall awhile back going for an early morning walk & noticed something out of the corner of my eye. It was a coyote just standing I'd say less then 20ft away from me. It startled me at first, but it didn't even move. Just stared at me for awhile & then eventually walked off.

The best way to keep them out of your yard is to keep your yard clean. Don't leave food outside and make sure you pick up after your dog poops(yes the poop attracts coyotes). They also sell coyote repellent sprays at Home Depot/Lowes. I believe the most common/effective are the "wolf urine" sprays(yes it's a real thing).

fake

15 Year Member
Well that's the weird thing... The urban area has expanded outward, but there hasn't been much development in the outer suburbs or rural areas. So it doesn't make sense to me why all of a sudden wildlife is starting to come close to the city. Back even just five years ago it was abnormal to see bunnies but now I see them every day in my yard.

I do keep the yard clean and pick up the dog poo, so I think the next step might be the wolf urine unless I can create some sort of noise-makers that would scare them away...

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Remember to use the varmint rifle or the bow (with small game arrows) and aim for the head, otherwise the quality of the pelt will decrease and Pearson will only give you like, 20 cents for it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Let the coyote do his thing and he'll let you do your thing. Coyotes can smell the scent of fear.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Coyotes mostly prey on feral cats. There's probably a bunch of them near you if you're seeing coyotes.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
It may just have been a stray dog. Did you see any acme crates nearby?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I saw an Urban Coyote on Collateral. It was so heavy loaded with meaning, that in the end, it meant nothing. To a great effect.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Coyotes in New England run either solo or in packs near a den. We have a den nearby and have them in our neighborhood. For the most part, they won't attack or bother humans or dogs. If they do, it's usually a quiet clearing where a solo coyote and the potential prey are the only ones around. During the day, they hardly stalk unless they catch a scent of something that went near their den.

Noise will usually scare a coyote if they are alone. They will usually go away not wanting to interact with a human. If you see a couple around, you may be near a den. This is particularly the case if you see more than one frequently within a couple of days. When the temperature gets warmer after a frost, you may see some around.

As mentioned before, dog poop can attract coyote. Timber Wolf Urine works well, but you may have to reapply. Night Guard Lights (Solar Powered) also help as coyotes hate those flashing lights. If you have a perimeter, a couple of these work well. If you do any kind of hunting on property (deer), this will detract them as well.

You can also bait and trap them on your property. In Massachusetts , you can only use a box or cage trap and I believe you don't need to register the trap. In Connecticut, we have more options which comply with DEEP regulation when it comes to your own property.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
There's a den behind me, they don't seem to cause any trouble for the most part. It is weird though when the nearest train goes by in the middle of the night you can hear the entire pack howling and yipping when the train blows it's horn.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Coyotes in New England run either solo or in packs near a den. We have a den nearby and have them in our neighborhood. For the most part, they won't attack or bother humans or dogs. If they do, it's usually a quiet clearing where a solo coyote and the potential prey are the only ones around. During the day, they hardly stalk unless they catch a scent of something that went near their den.

Noise will usually scare a coyote if they are alone. They will usually go away not wanting to interact with a human. If you see a couple around, you may be near a den. This is particularly the case if you see more than one frequently within a couple of days. When the temperature gets warmer after a frost, you may see some around.

As mentioned before, dog poop can attract coyote. Timber Wolf Urine works well, but you may have to reapply. Night Guard Lights (Solar Powered) also help as coyotes hate those flashing lights. If you have a perimeter, a couple of these work well. If you do any kind of hunting on property (deer), this will detract them as well.

You can also bait and trap them on your property. In Massachusetts , you can only use a box or cage trap and I believe you don't need to register the trap. In Connecticut, we have more options which comply with DEEP regulation when it comes to your own property.

I don't care if it took gay disco to get you back, I'm just glad you are back.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
There are coyotes running around in the spreading grounds behind my house. A few years ago they were afraid of humans and would hide or run away when they saw you. Now the don't give a fuck about humans.

About a year ago there were 4-5 incidents with coyotes attacking people in my area. A bunch of coyotes were captured and euthanized.

I ended up buying a slingshot and started shooting marbles or metal bearings at the coyotes everytime I ride my bike or walk.

I say get a sling shot or a pellet rifle and get them out of your yard.

fake

15 Year Member
There are coyotes running around in the spreading grounds behind my house. A few years ago they were afraid of humans and would hide or run away when they saw you. Now the don't give a fuck about humans.

About a year ago there were 4-5 incidents with coyotes attacking people in my area. A bunch of coyotes were captured and euthanized.

I ended up buying a slingshot and started shooting marbles or metal bearings at the coyotes everytime I ride my bike or walk.

I say get a sling shot or a pellet rifle and get them out of your yard.

I definitely don't want to hurt them. I think that noise will scare them away. My real concern is my dog, not me. What I'm wondering is if it will see me as a threat but see the dog as prey and come close / attack because of that.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
I definitely don't want to hurt them. I think that noise will scare them away. My real concern is my dog, not me. What I'm wondering is if it will see me as a threat but see the dog as prey and come close / attack because of that.

If the coyotes end up being close to starving to death I believe they would be willing to attack your dog even when you are around.

I say carry a stick or maybe pepper spray.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
real talk- we get them here . I have a local coyote that goes from one forest preserve early in the am walks down my block every morning on his way to the next forest preserve and back at night. like a fucking commuter. right down the middle of my street.

they sell wolf urine at garden centers (gross i know, but i have 3 dogs and i dont want to chance it). i get it in granular form and put it around the perimeter of my property every couple months. i also hear that mothballs work too, but i'm concerned about my or my neighbors dogs finding and eating them. i also have motion lights installed around my place which are supposedly a deterrent as well. good luck.

if you encounter one in person. do a 'big arms' gesture while yelling. they scare easily and don't want anything to do with people.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Coyotes are open game at all times around here. They look like dogs, but they can be extremely dangerous. Rabies is quite rare, but coyotes are a common source. Best you walk your dog for a while.

There are not many natural predators. Your best bet is to remove any source of food and shelter. Wolf Urine can work, but that stuff is strong. You probably wont be using your backyard for awhile after using it. Plus the coyote may not care at all.

They are getting more social, and it's not just because humans are expanding. It is becoming more common for coyote-dog hybrids.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
We've got coyotes where I live, but they're pretty skittish. I've only run into them while I've been out hiking a handful of times over the years. They usually just bolt right away or stare at you for a few seconds before taking off. I've never seen one show anything even close to aggression. I see them dead on the side of the road every now-and-then too. If your small dog was by itself, the coyote might try to kill and eat it, but, as long as you're with it, it will probably leave you alone. Unless it had rabies, then all bets are off.

Marek

Banned
Get a live trap from your local Game and Fish office.

We have them for coyotes and pine martins, badgers, etc

fake

15 Year Member
Get a live trap from your local Game and Fish office.

We have them for coyotes and pine martins, badgers, etc

What do they do with them? If they kill them, I wouldn't do that. If they spay / neuter and release them, I'd consider it.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
We have coyotes a couple miles away. They have to cross a bridge over a highway with high walls to get into my subdivision. There's not a lot of incentive as my sub is fenced in, nothing they couldn't jump or anything.

The only sighting was in my front yard by my half-blind neighbor at a time when my dog and I are usually out. Yes, she probably mistook my dog for a coyote as it was late.

geise

Mickey's Coach
They've migrated into Columbia, SC where my parents live. My mom is now taking pepper spray with her at all times since she got attacked by one on a walk in their neighborhood early in the morning. It was daylight.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Just get a bunch of road runners. The coyotes will blow themselves up in comical fashion trying to catch them
Wile-E-Coyote-explosion.gif

fake

15 Year Member
Had another sighting at 1AM this morning. Wolf pee, here I come.