One and done video game composers

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
After letting some time pass this thread stuck to my head today. I've done some research on who actually did the soundtrack to Dangun Feveron. A person named Nanpei Misawa who just did this one game and never was seen again.

Man, such a nice game with an awesome disco soundtrack. Would have loved to hear some more music from this composer but oh well.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Not a one and done, but one that more or less quit after the 8 bit gen was Naoki Kodaka. He did some work in the 16bit gen but it was his 8bit creations that he'll probably always be remembered for. He was behind a lot of the fantastic music in Sunsoft during the NES/Famicom era including Blaster Master, Batman, Journey to Silius, Gremlins 2, Fester's Quest, etc. For the record, he actually didn't do the 8bit programming part. He'd compose the songs on his own (I'm guessing with a synthesize), and a team of audio engineers would translate it to 8bit. I'd love to get a hold of those originals if they still exist.

http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php?title=Naoki_Kodaka

side note: I don't know why that website gives him credit for Spy Hunter, that is the Peter Gunn theme by Henry Mancini, it even says so in the actual game credits because Sunsoft and Bally Midway had to pay for it.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
side note: I don't know why that website gives him credit for Spy Hunter, that is the Peter Gunn theme by Henry Mancini, it even says so in the actual game credits because Sunsoft and Bally Midway had to pay for it.

I wonder how much Blizzard/Interplay had to pay for the Rock n' Roll Racing soundtrack...

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I wonder how much Blizzard/Interplay had to pay for the Rock n' Roll Racing soundtrack...

I don't think it was that bad back in the 80s and early 90s. There was a time when movies would come out and have these crazy soundtracks with a bunch of acts/musicians on them. I guess after the 90s ended record companies realized they weren't going to make as much money anymore off physical media and licensing rights shot up like no other. Most of the time in movies now they try to go for the songs with the cheapest fees.

John Hughes movies and others from that era if made today wouldn't have the soundtracks that we know them for.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Video games don't even have soundtracks anymore nowadays, right? Just ambient sounds and orchestra bullshit.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Wrong. I know it's hard for you to experience video games while living under a communist dictatorship led by Winnie the Pooh, but please try to be less clueless.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Hey Shroom, thanks to you I'm listening to SNES Sim City theme at 75% speed, and it sounds good. Cheers mate.

I guess I don't have tegridy either

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Hey lonesage,

For example: Doom (2016) had a great soundtrack.

Best Regards,

Your friend Shroom