One and done video game composers

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
So while at work today, I got the star fox (SNES) song space armada stuck in my head, so of course i looked it up to listen to. decided to look up the composer and was shocked to read that he only really composed for one game. Hajime Hirasawa http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Hajime_Hirasawa

IMO the OST for star fox is one of the best on SNES. Imagine what else he could have done for video game music. Are there any other great video game OSTs that had one and done composers?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Last edited:

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
There are three games he composed for listed on that site?

technically yes. Although only one song for super scope 6, and hell no one knows about Time Twist: Rekishi no Katasumi de.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Taro Kudo composed all of the music for Axelay and Super Castlevania IV. After that, he only composed a Castlevania track or two for Circle of the Moon and Castlevania Chronicles before moving on to production and design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taro_Kudo

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I don’t give a shit about vidya game music. I mean I want to listen to something decent while I play but I never take notice of the people who make them.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I don’t give a shit about vidya game music. I mean I want to listen to something decent while I play but I never take notice of the people who make them.

Yeah fuck those guys!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Kenji Yokoyama & Shunichi Hanawa composed the music for Shinrei Jusatsushi Taroumaru on the Saturn. Before and after that it's mostly forgettable.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
So while at work today, I got the star fox (SNES) song space armada stuck in my head, so of course i looked it up to listen to. decided to look up the composer and was shocked to read that he only really composed for one game. Hajime Hirasawa http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Hajime_Hirasawa

IMO the OST for star fox is one of the best on SNES. Imagine what else he could have done for video game music. Are there any other great video game OSTs that had one and done composers?

There are three games he composed for listed on that site?
:lol:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Should have been one and done video game devs. Phil Fish is the only loser who comes to mind.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Just because mean people scared him off the internetz :(

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Blobfish-ugly-470.jpg

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Not one and done, but one of my favorite soundtracks for the NES was for Bionic Commando composed mainly by one woman named Junko Tamiya. The only songs that weren't hers were from the arcade version. Although she contributed to other games, this one was mainly done by her. Eventually she left Capcom before the 16 bit console generation kicked in and never did games again.

https://capcom.fandom.com/wiki/Junko_Tamiya

edit: She also contributed heavily to Strider Arcade, another legendary score.

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I checked that Junko Tamiya link and saw "Project Light" and followed up on it because I was curious. That led to a painful browsing session and dozens of failed searches. Vaporware CD I guess, or else 5+ years in development hell.

Gog

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Not one and done, but one of my favorite soundtracks for the NES was for Bionic Commando composed mainly by one woman named Junko Tamiya.

Yes Bionic Commando! One of my favourite NES games, and I agree it has a fantastic soundtrack. I can even remember my 8 year old self making some terrible lyrics to sing to the music from level 5.

Expanding the scope of the subject to ‘video game composers with a disappointingly brief career’, I’m going to say Soyo Oka. Stopped making game music in the SNES era. Love her soundtracks to Super Mario Kart, Pilotwings and Sim City. Especially Sim City. Spent so many hours listening to the Metropolis theme. Never managed to get to Megalopolis though. Had to wait till YouTube to listen to that.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Yes Bionic Commando! One of my favourite NES games, and I agree it has a fantastic soundtrack. I can even remember my 8 year old self making some terrible lyrics to sing to the music from level 5.

Expanding the scope of the subject to ‘video game composers with a disappointingly brief career’, I’m going to say Soyo Oka. Stopped making game music in the SNES era. Love her soundtracks to Super Mario Kart, Pilotwings and Sim City. Especially Sim City. Spent so many hours listening to the Metropolis theme. Never managed to get to Megalopolis though. Had to wait till YouTube to listen to that.

She also did the soundtrack for the NES version of Sim City and it's almost all different from the SNES one (except the metropolis sounds very similar)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Speaking of SNES Sim City, there was a fantastic slowed down version of the title screen theme on youtube some years ago. Don't think it's up now.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Speaking of SNES Sim City, there was a fantastic slowed down version of the title screen theme on youtube some years ago. Don't think it's up now.
What was the name of the title?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
SNES Sim City title screen slowed down

Yeah it got pulled off some years ago. My bad for bringing your hopes up. I saved it on my laptop though. Too bad I can't share it with you.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
SNES Sim City title screen slowed down

Yeah it got pulled off some years ago. My bad for bringing your hopes up. I saved it on my laptop though. Too bad I can't share it with you.
How come? Just upload it using wetransfer or something.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Turns out I just saved the normal version. Oh well. Gone to the wind, Seth.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

Youtube lets you slow down videos in 0.25% steps.

Gog

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
She also did the soundtrack for the NES version of Sim City and it's almost all different from the SNES one (except the metropolis sounds very similar)

Yeah, that was the best thing about the appearance of the NES Sim City ROM. It was great to hear some ‘new’ music from her.