Hey, yo. Lurker, just began posting as I consider first NG hardware purchase. Bitch noob ?

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
Hey guys-
So, I have been trying to decide between (japanese) AES, Cd/CDZ, or CMVS.
I can't throw thousands at it, at 1 time, so I'm wondering what my best course of action might be

The AES is available at a retro shop KINDA near me but I won't be able to afford a NeoSD (for a while).

I like the idea of a Cd/CDZ because I could burn ISOs of games that are ridiculously expensive, while still collecting as many real games as is reasonable. and still play the real game on real hardware.
I KNOW ABOUT LOADING TIMES.
I mostly played SS (1&2) and AoF (1&2) as favorite fighters. I understand the loads on those particular titles aren't terrible, and I'm happy to simply use loading times to smoke weed.
Biggest con? No Blazing Star, no possibility of any post-NGCD-era games.

CMVS that I have seen tend to be a little more difficult to find, in my own searching. JNX isn't taking orders, the Cbox seems to make people wary, the Omega seems overpriced.

TL;DR
Besides your opinions, I'm curious of the following--
Is the unibios necessary to play the multicarts?
Do the multicarts have any noticeable downgrade in control, or other experience?
Is there a list somewhere of Japanese AES carts with an English language option?

TIA, very much

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
If its an English AES, the Japanese AES carts will play in English. Or upgrade to a unibios, and be able to swap whatever region you want.
I'd say cmvs is really the best way to go. Might be worth contacting jnx and seeing if and when he may be willing to build you a cmvs. I have one and it's rock solid.

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
Frankly the language is something I'm totally cool doing without. But since in my opinion, getting the unibios seems tedious, I would probably wait a while before getting it.
The JNX site said no orders, but I suppose maybe there's no harm in asking. Besides maybe sounding like a jerk, haha
Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
Yeah, it's looking like JNX will take a very, very long time. Between driving an hour for the AES or waiting a year or 18 months for JNX, I'm gonna go Japanese AES.

Last edited:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
The omega is awesome, Its not much more than what James is charging for a CMVS at JNX.

The omega is fully loaded with the internal virtual memory card mod for saving, RGB or component out, and has UniBios 4.0 already installed with it.

And right now Quan (aka Shadowkin on this board) has them listed on the site as ready to ship in 2-3 days. If you can’t throw $$ down on carts, even Japanese AES stuff is gonna get to you.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
Yeah, an Omega may be the way to go for a clean CMVS option that is not a JNX unit.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Wow, thanks for the info!!

My Omega gets played every day - $530 well spent. The plastic texture and color perfectly matches the AES. It’s a quality piece of work. I can’t recommend it enough for a CMVS that is readily available. And since they’re ready to ship, it’s a no brainer. I can’t recommend it enough.

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
For some reason I had the impression they were more in the $830-850 range, which is too much for me. I guess it was a private private listing I saw somewhere, maybe.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Get an AES, no fucker even buys the games when they're listed up on here anymore so it's open season for lowballers.

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
Is that AES at Game Force in Boulder? I miss that store, it was pretty good.

Welcome to the boards.

garza2001

n00b
If your looking into collecting go with an MVS.. carts are tons cheaper.. if you want to just play some SS AOF and such is go with the AES.. carts aren’t that expensive as most people make them out to be.. you can get a copy of KOF 95 for under 100 and still have tons of fun.