AES RGB Scart cable differences

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
It actually helps. If your content with your $5 cable, just stick with that.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
In my experience the need for the higher quality cables varies from console to console, and the biggest issue I have with low quality cables isn't video but with audio buzzing. On the Neo I never use the RGB audio anyway and pull audio from the RCA jacks or headphone jack, so a cheaper cable would work just fine. Of all the systems I've used the Super NES is the one where it's most important to get a high quality cable. Depending on the system even with good cables there is a slight bit of buzzing sometimes.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
In my experience the need for the higher quality cables varies from console to console, and the biggest issue I have with low quality cables isn't video but with audio buzzing. On the Neo I never use the RGB audio anyway and pull audio from the RCA jacks or headphone jack, so a cheaper cable would work just fine. Of all the systems I've used the Super NES is the one where it's most important to get a high quality cable. Depending on the system even with good cables there is a slight bit of buzzing sometimes.

This is dead on the money why the cheap cables can be problematic. I've tried cheaper SCART cables, and I've had audio buzzing and interference ranging from sort of audible to experiencing ruining. Cheap cables never seem to be properly shielded, so you get this interference down the line in the cable.

Then again RetroGamingCables makes an awesome cable that isn't the "packapunch" cable either. It's not like their basic cable is garbage. I am more talking about the $10 special on eBay from some unknown seller

I've never once had any issues with "premium" cables.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
This is dead on the money why the cheap cables can be problematic. I've tried cheaper SCART cables, and I've had audio buzzing and interference ranging from sort of audible to experiencing ruining. Cheap cables never seem to be properly shielded, so you get this interference down the line in the cable.

Then again RetroGamingCables makes an awesome cable that isn't the "packapunch" cable either. It's not like their basic cable is garbage. I am more talking about the $10 special on eBay from some unknown seller

I've never once had any issues with "premium" cables.

^ bingo.

On any analog signal you can have issues so better made cables can help. SCART can be prone to compatibility issues with your TV, IIRC it’s depending on how your tv accepts a sync signal over SCART.

HDMI cables on the other hand...a lot of that is just marketing bullshit besides just getting proper spec for the resolution etc

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
For Neo Geo there is no difference in picture quality between cheap and expensive SCART cables. You may get slightly less audio buzz but if that's a concern you can pull audio direct from the headphones jack. AV port audio is mono anyway. I use a basic SCART from Retro Console Accessories. I have also tried fancy shielded cables and even the OEM Japanese RGB cables. There is no noticeable difference between any of them. That said, I would still avoid the ultracheap Chinaman cables.

Last edited:

iStreet

n00b
I ordered one from retrogamecables. Should be shipped out on 2nd januari. As for my SNES, it made a huge difference compared to the original 5$ Cable from Nintendo

Max_Power

n00b
I have ordered the same cable. I like it, but then I ordered HD RETROVISION Cable from Castlemania games with NeoGeo header.

I plugged in and the results are same. Then there is a brightness adjustment switch on the cable... lets just say if it was not winter... I would have danced naked on my balcony...