High Score Girl on Netflix

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I don't have Netflix at the moment so I'll have to remember that this series exists. I finally got around to watching the anime with all of the Street Fighter references a year ago (Acchi Kocchi), and that one was funny when I understood it but relied heavily on word jokes which didn't translate well.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
SNK Playmore sued Square Eix and the manga author, sending the police to raid their offices, because of IP copyright infringements. IIRC they immediately recalled the manga, later on reprinted without most of the SNK references under the name "High score girl ~continue~". The anime seems a mix of the two after the settlement.
Anyway, no mention of home/rental system whatsoever, only MVS/CD... ok that the main character is quite young and broke, but it would have been nice having a scene with the rental...I guess SNK has lost any chance with this guys anyway..

That would definitely explain some of the dialed back snk hardware references in the anime version. SNK characters still got some funny scenes in the show though. Thanks Massi!

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I started watching it and I’m enjoying the video game stuff but holy shit the characters are hard to watch.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Heard lots about this the last few weeks so will give it a look when I can.
Tried to get it on Kodi last night but couldn't find any streams.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I started watching it and I’m enjoying the video game stuff but holy shit the characters are hard to watch.

The couple of panels posted in this thread made me nope right out.

I can get that there are people who get excited when something they like gets mentioned in media ("Hey, I get that reference! EPIC"), but that does nothing for me now. It's a pre-teen doujin wrapped up with arcade nostalgia to make it appealing to older people.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
The couple of panels posted in this thread made me nope right out.

I can get that there are people who get excited when something they like gets mentioned in media ("Hey, I get that reference! EPIC"), but that does nothing for me now. It's a pre-teen doujin wrapped up with arcade nostalgia to make it appealing to older people.

Pretty much. I appreciate the authenticity for the arcade games they mention (a lot of Street Fighter stuff) but the 3 main characters are autistic as fuck. One doesn’t fucking speak at all and the other is a god damn idiot.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I saw the preview for this on Netflix. Curious about the aero city and street fighter references in the preview but you would have to be a certified faggot to sit down and watch it.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I saw the first 4 episodes yesterday and tend to agree with the masses here: while the game references and such were spot on, they could've had a better storyline with more lively characters to back up the games.

With that said, I almost grew up the same way around games as I hung out at arcades every free moment I had. Exceptions were that I still got good grades at school, it was 1979 for me at the start of the golden age of games and I knew and proved I was the best at all the games I played...except for that damn Tron and for some reason I couldn't play Asteroids to save my life :tickled:

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Watched one episode and I love the arcade references but watching this show feels like I'm raped right up the ass, so no.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Sat through eight seasons of TWD, nothing can on netflix can make me cringe anymore. Ya'll faggots need to toughen up.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
This was good. Finished it the other night. Both me and the girlfriend watched it. Cant wait until season 2.

Last edited:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Ok I finished it - the last 5 episodes really picked up and became fun. So I’m actually looking forward to more

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I think the fast timeline hurts the ability to show how the relationships were built. It advances a year every 3 episodes or so. I'm sure Mute Tomoyo had lots of off-screen run-ins at arcades and the rivalry helped kick them off. But I still have no idea why the blonde likes him, as creeping outside her window is not a good reason.

So yeah, I'm mostly watching for the game references, and cheering at random things like Cadash in the background.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
OVAs are on Netflix now, bundled under Season 1.

There are now 15 rounds available.

Dylon’s favorite anime-shit is fire!

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Back in 91, they still had the "Family Fun Centers" here in San Diego(they have long since changed to Boomers).

The location that used to be in Escondido, CA got in Fatal Fury when it was first released. At the time, everyone was still crazed over SF2(you used to have to wait in line to play it). Due to that, I remember going over to Fatal Fury and thinking "why not". :cool:

I worked at the Round Table Pizza in Tierrasanta in ‘91. We had some great games at time of release-Fatal Fury included. ^_^

I didn’t meet him until *years* later, but it was Nightmare Tony I saw at UTC arcade loketests back in the day. Did you ever get a chance to play the networked Super Turbo set up they had?

Man...last time I was at that mall, the arcade had been converted to a frame shop. Ugh.

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Watched this from the get go. Like the show and can’t wait for more episodes!

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Watched most of it when it aired and feel largely the same. The 90s arcade references are all awesome and I totally understood some of the passion/awkwardness and skipping class to go to the arcade and what not but yeah, the characters and the young love/crush aspect of it is too anime and weird for my tastes. And I enjoy some anime.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Not too many shows make me binge watch, but I caught myself watching five eps in a row. The story does get more interesting as Haruo gets into high school. Seeing Darkstalkers, Virtua Fighter, the release of Sega Saturn were all nice touches.