High Score Girl on Netflix

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member

Been sick all day so I’ve almost run through the entire season.Anyone watch it? It’s dubbed on Netflix now. I know the manga and Japanese anime were out before this. Basically the story takes a back seat to all the numerous video game references which are way way too many to list. It basically starts out around the early 90s arcade culture and progresses to the release of the Saturn and PlayStation. There is an episode where Geese Howard talks to the main character when he is studying and the next episode they discuss Neo Geo CD load times. The characters even play Savage Reign and Samurai Shodown 2. It’s quite the love letter to Japanese arcade gaming, but again the story is kind of lacking as all the character is obsessed with games.

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
This is a great show. I watched it on fansub but I’ll definitely have to check out the official version on Netflix. Thanks for the heads up! The Neo CD episode cracked me up.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Ah, thanks for making a seperate topic on this.
I really like this serie and am hoping there will be a 2nd season. I binged episode 1 to 10. About to watch the rest.
I feel they did a great job on capturing the arcade scene from back then

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Thanks for the tip, I need to look it up soon.

Yes you do! There's even a reference in it that reminded me of you. The main character says in one ofthe episodes that his only experience with Samurai Shodown was on a gameboy :D

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Yes you do! There's even a reference in it that reminded me of you. The main character says in one ofthe episodes that his only experience with Samurai Shodown was on a gameboy :D
Wait wut..... :O

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
SNK sued because they used SNK characters without permission

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
That's kinda lame, they should be glad with an anime like this.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If I was sick I'd drink whisky and listen to men at work, anime will just make it worse.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Nice! I’ll definitely have to check this out. I’m glad that SNK and the Square Enix publisher were able to reach an agreement following the lawsuit to allow the SNK characters and games to be depicted in this anime version.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Looks fun. Although I'll wait for a dubbed version. It's difficult to watch a video, read subs and play with your cell phone at the same time :shame:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Looks fun. Although I'll wait for a dubbed version. It's difficult to watch a video, read subs and play with your cell phone at the same time :shame:

It is dubbed on Netflix if you’re interested

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
3 episodes in so far. Its great. Episode 2 was especially great with all the PC engine content

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
It's a crime to leave Japan when Fatal Fury is going to hit the arcades.

Back in 91, they still had the "Family Fun Centers" here in San Diego(they have long since changed to Boomers).

The location that used to be in Escondido, CA got in Fatal Fury when it was first released. At the time, everyone was still crazed over SF2(you used to have to wait in line to play it). Due to that, I remember going over to Fatal Fury and thinking "why not". :cool:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
The name of this show is a bit of a tease. You can't name your show "Hi Score" Girl, complete with Viper Phase 1 blaring front and center in the background, and then have the only score play in the entire season be 10 seconds of Final Fight. :lolz:

But yes this show is cool. Love the time setting and all of the game content covered.

One thing that stuck out to me was the teachers patrolling arcades for students, to make them write apology letters for hanging out in a delinquent location. Japanese schools don't fuck around lol.

Last edited:

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
The name of this show is a bit of a tease. You can't name your show "Hi Score" Girl, complete with Viper Phase 1 blaring front and center in the background, and then have the only score play in the entire season be 10 seconds of Final Fight. :lolz:

But yes this show is cool. Love the time setting and all of the game content covered.

One thing that stuck out to me was the teachers patrolling arcades for students, to make them write apology letters for hanging out in a delinquent location. Japanese schools don't fuck around lol.

Yes, it's a peculiar aspect of Japanese society.
My wife's brother was caught smoking in uniform, far from the school, and suspended for a couple of days.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I got roped in by the arcade stuff, and then was disappointed by the young male fantasy of 2 woman pursuing him even though he did nothing to warrant their attention. It's basically Twilight for teenage boys.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I got roped in by the arcade stuff, and then was disappointed by the young male fantasy of 2 woman pursuing him even though he did nothing to warrant their attention. It's basically Twilight for teenage boys.
The trope of the series if any thing at all.I got some enjoyment out of the series mostly it's throwback to how video games,were in the 90's but that's it.Since it was so cliche for one guy being in the middle of a love triangle.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Interesting...the anime adaptation had a decidedly cps(2)/capcom slant aside from a hilarious bit involving a neogeo cd. Cool to see that the mvs got a shoutout in the original manga.

SNK Playmore sued Square Eix and the manga author, sending the police to raid their offices, because of IP copyright infringements. IIRC they immediately recalled the manga, later on reprinted without most of the SNK references under the name "High score girl ~continue~". The anime seems a mix of the two after the settlement.
Anyway, no mention of home/rental system whatsoever, only MVS/CD... ok that the main character is quite young and broke, but it would have been nice having a scene with the rental...I guess SNK has lost any chance with this guys anyway..

Last edited: