My Pet Peeve: People who don't pay attention to movies.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
This shit annoys the hell out of me.

I know this guy who's like "I've always wanted to check out anime, let's watch some".

So I put on Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, Macross Do You Remember Love. Try to hit all the genre's. What's this ass hat do? Plays on his phone the entire time during every movie.

Drives me insane....

If someone offered to watch a movie with me because they thought I would like it, out of respect I would pay attention.

Anyway, it's not just this guy. Lots of people I know do this. Some people even go as far as to never pay attention, and talk shit the entire time. So I'm like "what's the name of the character you hate the most?". Just because I know they have no fucking clue what's going on.

Anyway, just had to vent.
Maybe he was bored. Maybe he thought he wanted to try anime, but as soon as it started, he regretted saying anything and was doing his best to just run out the clock. Plus, you didn't even try to find anything contemporary for him to watch. You chose all stuff from decades ago.

I liked all three of those movies back in the day, but I don't think even I could sit through all three of them now, back to back to back.

What you did was the equivalent of, Hey, I've never listened to music before; I want to try some. And you say, cool, just sit here and I am going to force you to listen to the greatest hits albums of Hall & Oats, Journey, and Heart in their entirety, all in one sitting.

Fuck that. I would be on my phone with the quickness.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Maybe he was bored. Maybe he thought he wanted to try anime, but as soon as it started, he regretted saying anything and was doing his best to just run out the clock. Plus, you didn't even try to find anything contemporary for him to watch. You chose all stuff from decades ago.

I liked all three of those movies back in the day, but I don't think even I could sit through all three of them now, back to back to back.

What you did was the equivalent of, Hey, I've never listened to music before; I want to try some. And you say, cool, just sit here and I am going to force you to listen to the greatest hits albums of Hall & Oats, Journey, and Heart in their entirety, all in one sitting.

Fuck that. I would be on my phone with the quickness.

Yeah. That's not how things happened at all. This has been over the course of the last 2 months or so. We've never watched 2 anime in a row. Just like one a week since sometime in Nov. The phone stuff starts in the dvd menu, before the movie even starts, and far into the intro.

Anyway, why does it matter if a movie is decades old? Anytime anyone wants to watch anime, should I only pick newer digital anime drawn on a Wacom? Like is real hand drawn anime shit now? Maybe I'm just getting old thinking 80's & 90's hand drawn anime is more impressive.

I also can't think of anything id recommend that's came out in the last 10 years. Everything is a long series, or has a plot revolving around a high school student, and is directed toward middle schoolers. Or a romance story, like Your Name. Definitely not starting someone on something like that. So if you have some recommendations please tell.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah. That's not how things happened at all. This has been over the course of the last 2 months or so. We've never watched 2 anime in a row. Just like one a week since sometime in Nov. The phone stuff starts in the dvd menu, before the movie even starts, and far into the intro.

Anyway, why does it matter if a movie is decades old? Anytime anyone wants to watch anime, should I only pick newer digital anime drawn on a Wacom? Like is real hand drawn anime shit now? Maybe I'm just getting old thinking 80's & 90's hand drawn anime is more impressive.

I also can't think of anything id recommend that's came out in the last 10 years. Everything is a long series, or directed toward middle schoolers. So if you have some recommendations please tell.
Well, everything you made him watch was aimed at middle schoolers, too. Macross? Like a greatest hits version of the tv show, except with all the character arcs removed. Vampire Hunter D barely even has a story. Ninja Scroll is fun but empty fluff.

I honestly don't know what I'd recommend without knowing your friend's tastes. But I do know you can't show people stuff from your childhood now as an adult and expect them to get the same thing out of it you did 20 years ago. That never works.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I've never seen either movie, but I hear that Akira and Ghost in A/The Shell is pretty good.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
greedo's a little retarded and doesn't understand small talk

When someone says, "I've been meaning to get into anime", no no no NO NO GOD NO YOU DON'T KNOW SAY "HEY LET'S GO WATCH SOME" ESPECIALLY WHEN THE ANIME HAS A DUDE RAPE A WOMAN AND SUCK HER TITS

greedo you are a little retarded

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
ESPECIALLY WHEN THE ANIME HAS A DUDE RAPE A WOMAN AND SUCK HER TITS

True it's not exactly clear cut if someone's going to enjoy that, besides we're only getting one side of the story here. What if Greedo is trying to assess his mate's interests in a subtle-ish way and gauging the reaction? the story thickens as to what Greedo really invited him round for.

Bit of the ole visual stimulation towards the ultimate bedroom act.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
No I think it's the other way around, came over to get it on and guy keeps putting on movies.
Yawn whats happening on the cellphone.

lordnikon

Another Striker
I wouldn't be able to sit next to this person if they are that distracted by their phone. Anime would be cut short during the first session, and would not continue. You have been slogging through this for months? yeesh

Hack his phone and redirect the video signal to it.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Hack his phone and redirect the video signal to it.

giphy.gif

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Another member from 15+ years ago who never posts and then says to 'hack his phone'. Who is he? What does he do? Is he a god? We will never know

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
What's this ass hat do? Plays on his phone the entire time during every movie.

That's the world we live in. You could have fell over dead and he wouldn't have realized it until a couple hours later since he was enthralled with his Candy Crush. And instead of calling 911 he'd record you and put you on his Instragram, Facebook, Twitter, Ello, Mixi and his plethora of other social medias.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Happened today at my sisters. Everybody wanted to watch Die Hard because they'd never seen it before so they rented it from a streaming service for $5 or whatever. 10 min later I'm the only person watching it while 6 other people have their phones out.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Happened today at my sisters. Everybody wanted to watch Die Hard because they'd never seen it before so they rented it from a streaming service for $5 or whatever. 10 min later I'm the only person watching it while 6 other people have their phones out.

Die Hard really?

Damn, we have movie nights Friday & Saturday in my home theater. My youngins sometimes try to get the phone to play games if its too boring but i make them watch it. The only time we use the phone is if there is a certain actor we recognize but dont remember the name or movie that person was in, that shit drives me crazy.

No phones in the dinner table too.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I use my phone but I'm the king of call backs.

Like the other day I'm helping my mother with her computer, my rings my sister's tune and I called her back. Told her I was helping mom and she was fine with it.

I forget it at home all the time.

I own it, not the other way around.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I find myself often on the computer about the time the third act starts. A lot of currently released features start to bore me at that point. Especially comic book movies.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

Haha, that's a great rating criteria: out of seven, I'll give Die Hard six phones out.