Opinion: I think that Art of Fighting 1 is better than Art of Fighting 2

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
I am not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I prefer Art of Fighting 1 to Art of Fighting 2. I think that AOF 1 is a bit clunky but I still enjoy it. I think AOF 2 is just very cheap and even on the lowest difficulty the game is still very cheap. It may just be that I am trash, which is probably true, but for some reason I can still play AOF 1 fine. I don't know if anyone else thinks this way as well, as AOF 2 is nearly unplayable for me.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I am not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I prefer Art of Fighting 1 to Art of Fighting 2. I think that AOF 1 is a bit clunky but I still enjoy it. I think AOF 2 is just very cheap and even on the lowest difficulty the game is still very cheap. It may just be that I am trash, which is probably true, but for some reason I can still play AOF 1 fine. I don't know if anyone else thinks this way as well, as AOF 2 is nearly unplayable for me.

To me it's a draw. I really like both games, mostly for their ambience, the gameplay is ridiculous but I don't care.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
art of fighting 2 is my favourite out of the series. remember getting together with friends and spending a couple of hours taking turns trying to get as far as we can.

art of fighting 3 is also really enjoyable. but the first one i never liked. art of fighting 1 just plays like a game of rockem sockem.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I totally agree. AOF1 has a nice atmosphere and great color palette. AOF2 is very bland and generic in comparison IMO.

Both play pretty badly, so really just there for the setting and the characters.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
C'mon AOF2 was the best AOF there ever was in style and difficulty, especially difficulty.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
C'mon AOF2 was the best AOF there ever was in style and difficulty, especially difficulty.

I agree. It expands on the first one in a very sincere way. Back when SNK could do little wrong. The new character additions and backrounds are brilliant.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
I totally agree. AOF1 has a nice atmosphere and great color palette. AOF2 is very bland and generic in comparison IMO.

Both play pretty badly, so really just there for the setting and the characters.

:spock: Really? Some of the backgrounds in AoF2 are quite nice and colorful. The gameplay sucks on both games though and they aged pretty badly, I can agree on that.

Spoiler:

aof2-southtown-park.gif

aof2-crawleys-airfield.gif

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
:spock: Really? Some of the backgrounds in AoF2 are quite nice and colorful. The gameplay sucks on both games though and they aged pretty badly, I can agree on that.

I worded my post a little poorly. I meant in comparison to AOF1. AOF2 is still a nice looking game. I just like AOF1's more gritty color palette and locations. AOF2's colors are a bit over-saturated IMO, but yeah it's still nice looking.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I played AOF 1 way more then 2 in the arcade so nostaliga wise I prefer 1, but 2 plays better for what it's worth though I think both are clunky.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
art of fighting 2 is my favourite out of the series. remember getting together with friends and spending a couple of hours taking turns trying to get as far as we can.

art of fighting 3 is also really enjoyable. but the first one i never liked. art of fighting 1 just plays like a game of rockem sockem.

Yeah, as I said, the reason I don't like the game is probably because I suck. On MVS difficulty I can't get past the first three stages while on AOF 1 I can get all the way to Mr. Big. The only other thing I like more about AOF 1 is that I think that you have more time to think about what moves you will perform, while in AOF 2 there always seems to be too much going on to plan out moves. Though I must agree that AOF 2 looks better than AOF 1.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
AOF is one of my favorite games on the Neo. Something about the early Neo-Geo games, they are just special. Not as flashy as some of the later games but there is something about them.

AOF, Seeing those large sprites jumping back and forth on the screen is really a sight to behold. I love AOF2 as well but prefer the first one. Always have, always will. AOF3 is a good game as well but prefer the first two.

garza2001

n00b

Idk why, but here's a story about the first time I'd ever experience NEO GEO. When I was in my younger years, my parents would eat at this restaurant called K-Bob's (yeah cheesy) but in their little waiting area they had a 4 slot NEO GEO with Art Of Fighting, World Heroes, Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown.. My first game I ever experienced on the Neo Geo was AOF and til this day it's that one game that made me want a AES when i was growing up. long story I know but Art Of Fighting is and always be my favorite...

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
It's pretty even between the two in my opinion. I loved the bruising and swelling that went on as you took damage. Just like in MK9 when your fighter would get injuries and damaged clothing. I wish it was a mechanic that was used more often. Also Bushido Blade needs a remake like yesterday.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I dig both games but holy hell, AOF 1 is loud as shit, it's like Metal Slug loud.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
AOF1 isn't too bad. You gotta learn each character's patterns but it's very beatable. I never put enough time into AOF2 to beat it, so no idea there.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
That's what makes AOF1 so cool. Each enemy has a pattern you have to learn and follow. You can't go in there mashing buttons, you can't win that way like in other fighters.

AOF2 was just too hard core.

AOF3 was just, well, the animation is really nice, but by the time it came out people thought, what's the point?

1 is all you really need。

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Art of fighting 1 is the best in the series,way better than second one!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The Stages and music in AOF2 are great though. The RYO Barn stage and TAK Dojo stage are my favorites. It's the little details in the background that make those stages special, The Horse, Old Tires, Ryo's Motorcycle outside the barn, Battered Punching Barrel/Bag leaking Sand. The Tak stage always brings me back to older Karate movie dojo fight scenes.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Art of Fighting 1 was the best one. Possible to beat it without using cheap tactics.

Art of Fighting 2, you had to use cheap tactics to beat the game, even on difficulty level 1. And I could never beat Geese. But I suppose there must be people in the world who can beat it without resorting to cheap tactics. But AOF2 has a better two-player experience than AOF1.

Art of Fighting 3 had some characters that were a little weird, it should have had more of the standard karate characters. It felt like the game was unfinished, like they were really intending to add more characters to it.

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I prefer AOF1 over the others because it provides the best single player experience.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Any love I have for Art of Fighting is strictly due to nostalgia.

At least AOF 1 and 2 have aged terribly and just aren’t fun to play anymore.

The Fatal Fury games on the other hand play like buttah

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
1p is basically broken on both due to the insane cpu difficulty

If you walk into AOF1 playing it like SFII, you're going to have a bad time.

But if you attack it like you would an R-Type...

edit: just watched a longplay of AOF1, game still looks great.

The HUGE sprites with the brilliant idea to zoom in and out on the stage.

Awesome idea to show off damage on parts of the character's body that gets damaged heavily.

Exploding the shirt off King and revealing those huge tits that we all masturbated to when we were 13 or 30. Bigger, badder, better.

Learning how to do moves after completing the bonus stages.

Ryo riding on a cruiser with fucking sandals, which, I will not lie, inspired me to do the same.

The spirit gauge and taunting to decrease their spirit, which means they can't go all Hadouken-crazy every second, was a good fit for the game.

Honestly the music is the only weak point of AOF1, it's not memorable - not bad, not good, just very standard-fare. The B-movie plot adds charm, especially with the "To be continued?".

You know one thing about SNK and Capcom, where Capcom rode on the coattails of SFII's success for years, releasing updates that were practically the same game with only tweaks to balance and whatnot, SNK was creating a ton of different fighting games.

As others have said, it's a great single-player experience. I've read a few times over the years here, "why even play single-player?" but some of us don't have friends to play with yo. AOF1 filled that niche.

double edit: Robert's walking animation is hopping like a rabbit.

Last edited: