Opinion: I think that Art of Fighting 1 is better than Art of Fighting 2

neofonta

Zero's Secretary
AOF1 was THE GAME.
Most of us get in love with NeoGeo system 'cause as a kids we watched the game running on the arcade machines.

AOF2 is a nice sequel but has nothing to do with his older brother.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
THE ART OF FIGHTING 2
Aof2airportbglite.gif

Aof2chinatownbg.gif

Aof2crawleysairfieldbglite.gif

Aof2fitnessclubbg.gif

Aof2macsbarbglite.gif

Aof2southtownparkbglite.gif

Aof2thegarciahousebg.gif

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Never liked Robert's jacket on the window. It's fine on the car but completely unnecessary on that balcony.

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
Never liked Robert's jacket on the window. It's fine on the car but completely unnecessary on that balcony.

It almost looks like a bug. They might have accidentally wrote the shirt tiles in that part of the tile map. It's not even hanging on anything that makes sense.

I think AOF2's backgrounds a mixed bag. Mac's Bar, the airport and hangar are all gorgeous. But the others are kinda clunky.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
It almost looks like a bug. They might have accidentally wrote the shirt tiles in that part of the tile map. It's not even hanging on anything that makes sense.

I think AOF2's backgrounds a mixed bag. Mac's Bar, the airport and hangar are all gorgeous. But the others are kinda clunky.

I think Jack, Mickey and John all had much better backgrounds in AOF 1.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
AOF1 was THE GAME.
Most of us get in love with NeoGeo system 'cause as a kids we watched the game running on the arcade machines.

AOF2 is a nice sequel but has nothing to do with his older brother.
I would have to agree with this. Art of Fighting was the first fighting game that really showed people what the Neo Geo could do with fighters- huge sprites, lots of colors, and the then-new zooming effect.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

Nah come on. Those are mostly some of the best stage designs for a fighting game ever.
The double-decker Hong-Kong stage is amazing

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
[REDACTED]

Yea I haven't played this game in too long, memory's gone.

Attachments

• NOTCHINESEWHATTHEFUCKSNKWHYGIVEHIMHONGKONGSTAGE.jpg
    NOTCHINESEWHATTHEFUCKSNKWHYGIVEHIMHONGKONGSTAGE.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
So I haven't played AOF2 in close to a decade, but it wasn't until this thread that made me realize Temjin wasn't Chinese nor from Hong Kong, dude is Mongolian.

His name is Temjin, and Genghis Khan's name is Temujin. He also looks how Japanese depict Mongolians (big, burly strongmen like Karnov).

View attachment 52761

There's some Shinkiro art, he's all dressed up in traditional Mongolian clothes.

So, nobody was wondering but there you all go. The Asian guy with the Hong Kong-esque (I mean, because the whole game is in Southtown, right?) stage is, in fact, not from Hong Kong but Mongolia. Too bad, woulda been nice if they went with an [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erdene_Zuu_Monastery]Erdene Zuu-esque[/url] stage instead.

Not being smug but I knew this from when it came out. He is a Mongolian worker, I think a builder of sorts of or such. The stage is most definetly referencing Hong Kong or thereabouts

Edit: am I remembering the game wrong? Is that double decker tram stage Lee Pai Long's stage and Temjin's stage the docks? I owned AoF2 for the AES but it's been around 22 years since

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Ah FUCK. Yeah I screwed up. Temjin's got the dock stage.

Missile

Another Striker
I prefer AO2. It's a slicker, improved version of the first game . AO1 made a massive impact at the time with the huge scaling sprites. I remember back then I couldn't figure out how they scaled the sprites since they never went blocky :D

Special mention to AOF3. I enjoy it more than both AOF1 and AOF2. You can have what feel more like proper fights with it. I've had some epic back & forths on that game.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
AoF2 hosts probably my pick for greatest single sound track on the Neo, with AoF directly behind it. I loved AoF's sound track, and when that tinny ass MD port came out, or the warbly soup can SFC port, I died a little on the inside. Luckily the PCE port's AST is absolutely brilliant.

AoF 2 has some fantastic compositions, and I have a lot of respect for them having virtually every single track being composed similar to whatever the track was in the original and using similar instrumentation. It's differet enough not to be a simple remix but composed and performed similarly enough that if you heard it playing in the previous game it wouldn't stick out like a wedding dick.

AoF was a loud game, lots of screams and hollers, and those meaty thwacks still pack as much punch as they did back then. The weird echo/reverb effect on some voices like Jack and Mr. Karate make them stand out much more than a clean sample would, which is an awesome design choice.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Did anybody else ever notice that the sound bite used for Ryo's fireball is that OF A GODDAMN TENNISBALL?

Axl

n00b
I had a friend who beat the game in 1997 with Takuma (including Geese) using the tactic of run, throw and Ko Oh Ken, then the enemy is sttuned and you finish him at your style...

I was going to do the same, but the next week they changed the game in that arcade (the only one who had it that late) I think they put the second Drakstalkers or a Virtua Striker in it's place... AOF never was in an arcade of my town before.

So answering the question I think while it's true AOF1 has a bit forgiving AI and better music, I suppose I prefer AOF 2 because of better multiplayer and the rising of the one and only Yuri as a fighter after her traumatic experience of being kidnapped.:p