Neil Gaiman's Sandman: How is it?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Thanks to the Kid I've been reading comics on my iPad. reading Animal Man for the first time.

I haven't read Sandman since 2011, but I think I'd still like it. People are saying the 90s-ness of it is dated...i mean aren't all comics dated? That's part of the allure of reading old comics, they take you back to that era. I can get why people think Dream is a tryhard but i think he's a cool character.

Gaiman is, first and foremost, a great storyteller. And there are some great stories in Sandman。I think 5 bucks per volume is a good deal.

I also disagree with others saying volume 1 is a slog. The art style is 'ugly' in comparison to later volumes but I liked it. Great introduction to the character.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Fuck yeah. Animal Man is great.

Get Millers run on Daredevil, Moores Swamp Thing, Ennis Punisher was really enjoyable. Hellblaizer, obviously anything Mignola. I believer there is a full official digital FOTNS now as well as Akira.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Comixology has a sale up until the end of the year where I think you can get all volumes of Sandman for $4.99 each, which is more than half off. So if you're going to buy them, now's the time. They'll never be cheaper than this.

As for how it is... It's fine. It was considered great, but doesn't hold up as well as some who read it back in the '90s might expect. Angsty and pretentious. Someone in the other thread described it as being as if Tim Burton wrote it when he was in junior high, which is maybe the best description of Sandman I've ever read. Later volumes are better, but be warned, the first volume is pretty terrible and is a chore to read; it's is not really representative of the series as a whole. If you can stick with it for the first few books, you might like it. I'd almost recommend skipping the first volume and starting from book 2, but that doesn't really work.

Preacher is kind of the opposite. It's maybe more entertaining overall although shallow as hell, starting really strong, good most of the way through, but Ennis muffs the ending.

I haven’t read Sandman in years but it definitely represented me in the ‘90s and I am not the same person now in my Corto Maltese years.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
pff every guy thinks they're as cool and brooding as Dream

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Did you get that sly Corto Maltese ref bro? Get on that ship.