Unpopular opinion numero 3: Sengoku 3 is boring

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
The graphics on the selectable characters are amazing, character design amongst the best of it's type, the controls are responsive and flashy

But the enemy are fucking crap, the game feels like you are playing against a legion o catatonic zombies. The standard enemy have 0 charm to them, seem to exist in a vortex where they are impulsed by nothing and you are compelled by very little to get rid of them.
What's the point of doing a super flashy combo on a plodding stiff limbed "opponent"?

The backrounds are shit, the level design is shit.

Basically on the one hand the selectable characters look and play incredibly, and on the other the enemy and backdrops are subsub-standard.
Almost feels like a demo with place holder enemies. A real shame.
I hate it

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Sengoku 2 is where it's at. The other two can fuck off.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Sengoku 3 is an amazing game. I once didn't liked it because I had my Final Fight mindset turned on. The game is supposed to be played like SENGOKU 3, not like FF.

The combo system is amazing, so does the OST. The only complain I have about the game, is that you never have a great variety of different enemy sprites on screen at the same time. That, really bothers me. The game is very enjoyable is you care to know what you have to do right.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Sengoku 3 is an amazing game. I once didn't liked it because I had my Final Fight mindset turned on. The game is supposed to be played like SENGOKU 3, not like FF.

The combo system is amazing, so does the OST. The only complain I have about the game, is that you never have a great variety of different enemy sprites on screen at the same time. That, really bothers me. The game is very enjoyable is you care to know what you have to do right.

Doesn't it feel like a drag fighting enemies that barely move though? Honest question. I want to feel I'm fighting something that fights back with similar aplomb. I don't see it that similar to other Sengoku games, they are a lot more dynamic. To me at least

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I actually prefer Sengoku 1 & 3 to 2.

3 needs a rebalance hack and it would be 10x better.

liwer

n00b
Sengoku 3 is my favorite game in the series ...

I love that game

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
A simple case of “oh, it’s worth more than $200 now? I love it.”

But yeah, back in 2001 it was widely considered to be boring.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Unpopular opinion? I always thought that was the popular opinion about Sengoku 3...

It has awesome production values, tight controls and a great combo system, but the level pacing, structure and enemy spawns, behavior and variety make it a incredibly dull experience.

3 needs a rebalance hack and it would be 10x better.

Agreed!

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Unpopular opinion? I always thought that was the popular opinion about Sengoku 3...

It has awesome production values, tight controls and a great combo system, but the level pacing, structure and enemy spawns, behavior and variety make it a incredibly dull experience.

Agreed!

I could have sworn that it was a generally well received scrolling beat'em up

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I could have sworn that it was a generally well received scrolling beat'em up

It was “great” after it started selling >450. Before that it was a joke. The same effect can be seen in other overpriced games.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member

+1

love the game. could even go as far as saying it's one of my favourite beat em ups. it's like if they turned strider into a side scrolling beat em up. great stuff.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Comparing sengoku2001 to strider goes beyond unpopular opinion.

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
The game looked nice but was really really repetitive. When I first played the game my thought after the first level was: I paid $150 for this? what a waste. And before you ask, I don't own this game anymore.

Sega and Capcom just made better beat 'em ups.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I haven't played Sengoku 3 enough to form a strong opinion on it, other than it is the only game of its type on the Neo that doesn't look terrible.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I haven't played Sengoku 3 enough to form a strong opinion on it, other than it is the only game of its type on the Neo that doesn't look terrible.
This is an important point. While the Neo more than held its own against the CPS family in other genres, it got its ass handed to it in beat'em ups. That may be why Sengoku 3 commands the price it does in the first place.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
This is an important point. While the Neo more than held its own against the CPS family in other genres, it got its ass handed to it in beat'em ups. That may be why Sengoku 3 commands the price it does in the first place.

I think it's down to the high production values and relatively low run since it came out just as SNK was drawing it's final breath.
The neo began to steam forward around 92 or 93 when scrolling beat'em ups where begining to lose their appeal and vs fighting games where entering their golden age. Capcom was there from the start with the side scrollers, and had the know how to continue popping them out effortlessly. SNK never made a concerted effort in the traditional side scrolling fighting game realm (Sengoku 3 is a traditional scrolling beat'em up as opposed to part 1 and 2).

Last edited:

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Never liked Sengoku 1 and 2. Sengoku 3 is amazing with great soundtrack!

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I do think it's better than S1 and S2, but it really does get repetitive. It wouldn't even fall in a top 10 for me.
You really have to limit your CC's to make it interesting.