iPad shooters

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yeah like my Unrelated thread but exclusively for shmmmmups :cool:

It seems there's a wealth of shooters all by a bunch of companies I've never heard of and most are cheap.

Blazing Star has graphical tear problems but it's like a buck so meh.

Rayforce it seems Taito did a fantastic job porting. It was definitely worth the higher price.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Very interesting topic, but I'll start with a prejudice: The godly feeling I get from video gaming is mostly about control. The more sophisticated, accurate and intuitive it is, the more immersive it becomes. The iPad/Phone STGs I tried, use the touch-screen and occupy only one one hand, but only one finger. That's intuitive enough, but reducing control to that feels like reducing a grand piano to only one key.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
The issue with iOS in general is that Apple can break support with any OS update, and it's on the developers to fix it, instead of Apple supporting older apps by design.

Given that, my list is shorter due to games left behind by the OS (like all the Cave games), but there are still a bunch:
  • Arkanoid vs. Space Invaders
  • Blazing Star
  • Darius Burst
  • Gunbarich
  • Gunbird 2
  • Phoenix HD
  • Phoenix 2
  • R-Type II
  • Raiden Legacy
  • RayForce
  • Samurai Aces
  • Strikers 1945-2
  • Strikers 1945-3

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Are Raystorm and Raycrisis as terrible as I remember them? Hell I haven't played either of those games in about 17 years, but Taito's doing a holiday sale and the prices are cut in half so I'm tempted to try them out again.

-SD-

Camel Slug
The DoDonPachi games and Deathsmiles have finally been updated by Cave and are back on the App Store. Still waiting on Bug Princess/Mushihimesama...

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Do people play with external controllers? I can't face playing anything beyond a Scrabble clone with the touchscreen, it's just shit.

tangemo

New Challenger
The DoDonPachi games and Deathsmiles have finally been updated by Cave and are back on the App Store. Still waiting on Bug Princess/Mushihimesama...

Thanks that's great news! The Cave games are some of my favorites on iOS and I went out of my way to get iPhones and iPads that are still compatible (iOS 11 is where the support was lost).

Do people play with external controllers? I can't face playing anything beyond a Scrabble clone with the touchscreen, it's just shit.

I find the touch controls on iPad to be really good but also the premium titles will have a better feel. You can really get in the zone on the Cave shmups and it's actually easy to give some finer movements while you're in the thick of it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

Playing shooters with the touchscreen is a different experience for sure, but not necessarily a bad one. I used to play Espgaluda 2 on my old phone, using the touchscreen changes the game into something else entirely, but it's still fun. Think of it like a side game and not that you're playing the real big boy shooter. I do prefer things that are made for the touchscreen from the ground up, Arkanoid vs Space Invaders and Aka to Blue are personal favs.

tangemo

New Challenger
If there's interest in more modern shmups on mobile, I'd also recommend Danmaku Unlimited and Phoenix. They are more abstract graphically (like DoDonPachi Maximum) but feel and play great. Danmaku Unlimited 3 got a proper Switch port as well.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I'm hoping some of these iOS shmups will add controller support, now that its so easy to pair a dualshock to it