The two titans battle it out. Who is better?

Which game is better?

• Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Super Metroid

Votes: 16 53.3%

• Total voters

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Who would you pick and why?

My pick goes to SOTN.

Better music.

More weapon choices.

More hidden stuff.

Better atmosphere.

Both are amazing obviously.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Who would you pick and why?

My pick goes to SOTN.

Better music.

More weapon choices.

More hidden stuff.

Better atmosphere.

Both are amazing obviously.

whats the other choice?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
lol. poll wasn't showing for me a minute ago.

i don't think these games are really comparable.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
My pick goes to SOTN.

Better music.

Idk, the arrangements pale to what older parts of the series offered. Besides, it's very subjective.

More weapon choices.

Yeah, but most of them you don't really need to use. Yes, it's more, but just more of the same.

More hidden stuff.

Did you find all of it by yourself? Without the help of a guide, you probably won't, so what's the use of having hidden stuff you won't possibly discover by yourself? Again, more of the same.

Better atmosphere.

Subjective, still, even if it's better, it's not that unique as it is in Metroid. I choose the one of a kind atmosphere over a more of the same kind one.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
SotN. Super Metroid is awesome, but soundtrack + setting of SotN win it for me.

But it's like asking "do you want a giant delicious steak or an awesome burger"...I enjoy both, I just enjoy one a bit more haha

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
A SNES masterpiece vs a PSX masterpiece

And the deciding factor: ost

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Post 16-bit Castlevania is the Metroidvania of choice for metrosexual non-gamer hipsters.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
The third (if it's lucky) best Castlevania is easily better than the best 2D Metroid.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I love both, but it's not even a contest for me. I'd rather explore Dracula's crumbling castle (there's fucking chicken in them walls!) for the umpteenth time than a space station or alien planet.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Your asking the same bored that picked Shinobi over Ninja Gaiden.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
SOTN is amazing but how is Super Metroid not winning. It's flippin Super Metroid lads!

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Super Metroid, no contest.

Had you put it against Bloodlines or Rondo, then I would have had a breakdown.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I don't know, I have to be in the mood. I've beaten Super Metroid several times and enjoyed it each time, but only a couple for SOTN. Either way, I enjoyed both games tremendously but would probably pick Super Metroid just for nostalgic sake.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
this is going to be entirely based on when you were born.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Dude what the fuck I made this exact thread a week before yours

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I could’ve gone either way, both are fantastic, but Super Metroid edges out because it’s sci-fi setting.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Super Metroid for me due to sequence breaking and tons of advanced techniques that were unintended imo.

SOTN is way too easy even if you aren't trying. Yeah you can somewhat sequence break it but not really due to the items you need. You have to limit yourself to low level if you want a challenge due to Alucard being miles above all the enemies (magic, turning into bat, multiple weapons and items). Also love the fact when you die you have to watch the death scene over and over which is unskippable. Faster to just reset lol.

Both are great games though. I just wish Symphony ditched the RPG elements and went full Castlevania with metroid exploration elements. Imagine a version that instead of health potions they balanced it with health upgrades. I never really liked the leveling system. Many times you just brute force shit with levels or if you aren't leveled die in one hit. Both extremes are bad.

Essentially what Richter mode is but without feeling so clunky. You can definitely tell some of the enemies do not mesh well with him. Probably why they gave him that up that up, down to forward dash attack with invincibility frames to remedy this. Feels a little awkward imo.

Last edited:

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Really do appreciate what Super Metroid achieved at the time, it is an iconic and beautifully made game. It's just a shame it plays like shit these days. There's only so many times I can tolerate being knocked into lava pits by flukey creatures. Wall jump sucks as well. I'd rather speedrun Zero Mission for my Metroid fix

Last edited: