Unpopular opinion 2: I think Real Bout 2 is better than Mark of the Wolves

Agree or Disagree?

• Total voters

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Not sure if it is actually an unpopular opinion, but given how much people gush over MOTW I assumed that it is...

Also Rick is the best character SNK ever made.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
better? i can't say. but i do play real bout 2 more than motw.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
I haven't played both, but I have played real bout 1 and didn't like it

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I like the speed of RB2. It's quick, the colors and action are great, and easy to get into.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
That’s just crazy talk!

RB2 looks nice but feels incomplete. It feels like a proto. This was probably from the same fools who thought SSIV needed to play like a goddamn speed run. $0.25 = less time = profits = fuck those assholes.

The moment SNK started making games like SSIV, RB2 and other quick turnover games, that was when the company died. Management should have fired those thinkers hayaku.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
If you would've said RBFF I would agree with you.

And what Wasabi said.

+ super easy and fun comboing, that's the thing for me with RB2 and the reason I play it every now and then, but for some more serious bouts I prefer RBFF.

MotW is okay but has its meh points.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
MotW to me was SNKs finest hour in terms of presentation and character design. Kim's 2 kids playable and are both brilliantly brought to life? Yes.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I love both games but have always preferred RBFF2 mechanically. By design MotW doesn’t really play like any of the other games in the series and, admittedly, a lot of people feel the change was for the better. However, the previous games in the series are my favorite fighting games of all time and without some form of the line-sway system being present, MotW just isn’t one of the titles I reach for when I want to play a more traditional FF game.

Which is better is up to one’s own preference, but as amazing as MotW is, it doesn’t scratch the same itch as FF Special or FF3 and the Real Bout titles.

With that said, I play FF1 through FF: Wild Ambition and MotW almost constantly so you can’t go wrong with any game in the series imho.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
This is actually a tough choice for me. I think MOTW is pretty over rated. I do love the game, but I don't get why people say it's the best fighting game of all time, or at least on Neo Geo.

Honestly, all the Real Bouts kinda blur together for me. I can't remember which one I like the most, but I think Special is the one I played the most. So for that reason I will not vote, and also that I feel they are kinda equal.

I think we're forgetting Fatal Fury 3 though. The Red-Headed stepchild of the FF series, that is my opinion the best FF game.

Still think either Last Blade or Sam Sho 2 destroy them all though. Maybe even Sam Sho 3.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
MOTW, and the two Last Blades, are definitely the best fighters on the Neo Geo.
They have features similar to the SFIII series, for example Just Defend, where you can block an attack (if you get the timing right) and then follow up with an attack of your own. And they have super moves, and the T.O.P. guage, and the Speed/Power modes for the Last Blades.

It's hard to say which is, for me, the best FF game (after MOTW). Probably whichever FF game has the most selectable characters, and also has Geese as a playable character. The FF games, especially the FF3/Real Bout games, are quite similar to each other.
I think the best fighting games are whichever are the best for head-to-head competition between two human players, at a high skill level. So, the best 2D fighters ever made are Last Blade 1 & 2, Mark of the Wolves, and the Street Fighter III series. The parry moves in these games mean there is a lot of potential for skilled players to increase the quality of their play. As far as I know, no 2D fighters before these games had a move to parry/block and retaliate.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
MOTW, and the two Last Blades, are definitely the best fighters on the Neo Geo.
They have features similar to the SFIII series, for example Just Defend, where you can block an attack (if you get the timing right) and then follow up with an attack of your own. And they have super moves, and the T.O.P. guage, and the Speed/Power modes for the Last Blades.

...and that's my gripe with MotW, it's too Capcom-ish for my taste.

JD was SNK's take on Parrying, and even though some people prefer it over Capcom's original implementation because of the reverse stick movement, it's still a rather unoriginal idea and also leads to some balancing probs but that's another discussion.

Then there's the graphics style, the supers, T.O.P., triple A or SS and all that Jazz... nice to look at and very flashy, just not what I -personally- expect from a Real Bout game. Apart from gameplay issues, the RBs still had that SNK thing going on while MotW feels kinda generic and blunt to me, can't really put my finger on it. I played it loads when it was new and would never call it a bad game or anything, it's just that I almost never put in MotW these days when I want to play a proper fighter, be it alone or with a buddy (which sadly is a rare thing nowadays).

Best fighter on the Neo? Well, if I'd make a personal top-5, MotW prolly wouldn't be in it.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Well, Gaston and Joe8 agree, if anyone is having any trouble figuring out what the correct answer is.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...and that's my gripe with MotW, it's too Capcom-ish for my taste.

I feel you, it's a incredibly great game, but it doesn't evoke the spirit of the Neo gameplay-wise. But... I often watch films that aren't that good, just because they feature actors I like, and in this regard, MotW's cast is 100% pure, old-fashioned, homegrown SNK. Mai & Terry's little ninja, Geese's rock and roll offspring, Kim's odd couple, a new take on Takuma's stern character with Gato or his Kyokugenryu legacy passed on to Marco etc. etc. It all features that subtle ingenuity we use to love.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I feel you, it's a incredibly great game, but it doesn't evoke the spirit of the Neo gameplay-wise. But... I often watch films that aren't that good, just because they feature actors I like, and in this regard, MotW's cast is 100% pure, old-fashioned, homegrown SNK. Mai & Terry's little ninja, Geese's rock and roll offspring, Kim's odd couple, a new take on Takuma's stern character with Gato or his Kyokugenryu legacy passed on to Marco etc. etc. It all features that subtle ingenuity we use to love.

Yes, that's why I played it quite a bit when it was new but there's a thick layer of wannabe-Capcom over it that spoils it for me. It's like pouring ketchup over a nice juicy steak, the meat is still there but the subtleties of its taste are gone.

Marco is awesome, tho.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Those questions are always a bit misleading to me: are we talking about personal preference? Are we talking on a mechanical level, like graphics, gameplay, etc.?

To me RB2 is my favorite, but that's a personal/emotional choice which doesn't take into account the game mechanics. MotW is a clearly superior product (and to both RB1 and RBS) and IMHO is very close to SFIII levels, but it doesn't see much playtime on my cab as I prefer the feel and presentation of RB2.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yes, that's why I played it quite a bit when it was new but there's a thick layer of wannabe-Capcom over it that spoils it for me. It's like pouring ketchup over a nice juicy steak, the meat is still there but the subtleties of its taste are gone.
It's a solid, extremely well-made and fun game. But it's not Fatal Fury. I never could enjoy it the way most people do because it felt to me like SNK abandoned everything Fatal Fury was in a futile attempt to appeal to the Capcom crowd. I don't hate it by any means, but it's my least favorite of the series including the original, as clunky as it may be.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
MotW is a clearly superior product (and to both RB1 and RBS) and IMHO is very close to SFIII levels, but it doesn't see much playtime on my cab as I prefer the feel and presentation of RB2.

RB1 > RBS > RB2 > MotW > SFIII

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
If I'm in the mood for a Fatal Fury/Real Bout experience I'll fire up RB2 instead of MOTW. As for what's better, I'll go with MOTW.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
WTF, that's a popular opinion.

Everyone knows RB2 feels incomplete. Total garbage single player experience.

Maybe it's poor memory, but I feel like RB2 was always worshiped over RBS round here.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Fatal Fury 1, Fatal Fury Special, and Real Bout Fatal Fury Special are the only fatal fury games anyone needs.

KOF 98 and 2002 are the only KOF games you need

Samurai Shodown 2 is the only samurai shodown you need

Mark of the wolves is optional as fuck