What genres and subgenres of Video games are obsolete today?

Saurus

n00b
What genres and subgenres of Video games are obsolete today?.

Are arcade 2D, linear and simple to play (platforms, shoot'em up, beat'em up, run'n gun and Vs fight), are they also or will be in the future? Why?.

The 2D mechanics games, are less playable, complete and fun, than those of 3D mechanics, being more limited and less spectacular (being static screens, such as Bionic Commando Rearmed 1 and 2), less deep and enveloping.?

What could come, after this type of arcade video games? What will remain after them?

A report about videogames, he commented, about the different genres of videogames, which in the future, will tend to blend with each other, in the search of the perfect videogame, with 'the best of each one' already incipient trend.

The current genres of video games arcade platforms, beat-em up or brawler, shoot-em up, run-n gun, and Vs fight, could form hybrid games between two or more different genres, or will they remain differentiated as they are until now?

Will the new hybrid genres of videogames, in less arcade games (less direct, linear and simple to play), be transformed then? Why.?

One aspect, which may be relevant in the coming years, now with immersive visualizers, such as Oculus Rift, Samsung Gear VR, HTC Vive Focus, Primax 4K UHD. Represented in SciFi films such as The Matrix, Total Recall, Avatar and Tron, it is Virtual Reality. When we have an advanced or deep Virtual Reality:

Is the future of gaming 100% Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality/immersive?

Last edited:

Yoshi

20 Year Member
You're not getting market privileges by posting in the wrong forums.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Am I having a stroke or does every sentence start out coherent and then turn into a garbled mess of words?

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Holy fuck this post makes my brain hurt. It reads like spam mail.

Gog

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Text based adventure games spring to mind, & I’m answering this after only reading the thread title.

OK I lied. I skimmed it and agree with everyone else’s posts, but there’s a token throwaway gesture for you.

Your posting future may be obsolete though.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
giphy.gif

Saurus

n00b
Este texto, esta pasado con un traductor automático al ingles. Vale que no es perfecto, pero yo he revisado el texto, una vez traducido, y más o menos se entiende. ¿Conocéis vosotros algún traductor automático, mejor que el de google? Si es así, lo pasaré por allí, y editaré el texto que he puesto aquí, para iniciar el hilo de conversación este. Que parece interesante.

Un saludo. :)

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
OP should have broken this post up into multiple posts. Would have upped his post count more efficiently.

Here's a genre that's arguably obsolete: True vector games. Ain't nobody got time to manufacture vector CRTs.

Google habla Español:

OP debería haber dividido esta publicación en varias publicaciones. Habría aumentado su cuenta de correos más eficientemente.

Aquí hay un género que podría decirse que es obsoleto: los verdaderos juegos vectoriales. Nadie tiene tiempo para fabricar CRT vectoriales.

Last edited:

Dialknight

n00b
OP should have broken this post up into multiple posts. Would have upped his post count more efficiently.

Here's a genre that's arguably obsolete: True vector games. Ain't nobody got time to manufacture vector CRTs.

Google translate strikes again!
No creo que nada sea realmente obsoleto, tal vez esos viejos juegos electromecánicos, pero incluso esos son geniales cuando los encuentras operativos. La tecnología se vuelve obsoleta pero no la mecánica. Los juegos de mesa, especialmente el ajedrez, han resistido la prueba del tiempo y varias iteraciones, por el simple hecho de ser divertidos. Todavía tenemos bola en una taza, caso en cuestión. Esos dos últimos ejemplos serían una explosión en la realidad virtual.

I don't think anything is ever really obsolete, maybe those old electromechanical games, but even those are great when you find them operational. Tech goes obsolete but not mechanics. Board games, especially chess have with stood the test of time and various iterations, by the simple means of being fun. We still have ball in a cup, case in point. Those last two examples would be a blast in VR.

What about the style? Like REZ or tempest

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
What about the style? Like REZ or tempest

(A) Learn how to quote.
(B) I said true vector games are obsolete due to the fact no vector monitors are being made... in line with your statement about tech going obsolete.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Wrong forum, General is for Neo-related topics only. Moved.

EDIT:

Everyone gets one free shot so stop bitchin', lads.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Text based adventure games spring to mind, & I’m answering this after only reading the thread title.

OK I lied. I skimmed it and agree with everyone else’s posts, but there’s a token throwaway gesture for you.

Your posting future may be obsolete though.

Text based adventures I think still have a lot of potential. Maybe for phones a pseudo WhatsApp shaped game could work, would just take good writing and scripting.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Beat em ups

I'd like to say you have a point but honestly it hasn't really gone anywhere but it definitely has changed form. Look to mmorpg's for examples of it, albeit completely alien to Final Fight it's the same concept.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The trend is rather to split up of what's basically the same, like the adventure genre into text-adventures, action-adventures, action-rpgs, metroidvanias... a neckbeard's way to become anti-globalist.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
MMORPGs are, as a model, obsolete. You either have insane brand loyalty keeping people around or years and years of investment. But new MMORPGs with the breadth and depth of a Final Fantasy XIV or a World of Warcraft are very hard to establish.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Arcade-style racing games. The only thing that comes close in recent memory is OnRush.
I miss games like Daytona, Burnout, Sega Rally, F-Zero, etc.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Best thread of 2018, hands down.

I'd like to see someone try to change my mind.