What genres and subgenres of Video games are obsolete today?

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
-Realistic PC flight sims
-Proper arena FPS, lmao @ Quake Champions

Dialknight

n00b
(A) Learn how to quote.
(B) I said true vector games are obsolete due to the fact no vector monitors are being made... in line with your statement about tech going obsolete.

I got it! Yeah your right about those vector monitors, but the spirit lives on !

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
when was the last light gun game released

They're still released in arcades all the time. It's about the only new kind of game you'll find that's not redemption bullshit. Unfortunately home ports are dead.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
The future of gaming is cardboard - like Labo on steroids.

Controllers. consoles and even games themselves will be made of cardboard. Do you guys remember the Nintendo eReader? It will be like that but even more awesome!

Even amiibos will be made of cardboard.

I have a friend who knows Reggie Fils Aime so you can trust me I am not making this stuff up.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Dance Dance Revolution type games.
Although went to a lazer tag/ arcade and they had a DDR machine with a bunch of what sounded like Korean and Japanese pop songs., so maybe they are still making this type of game.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
They exist, but are on life support, especially Rock Band. Taiko No Tatujin is still alive and well.

The greater mystery to me is how those games were ever popular in the first place. I always saw the rise of games like that as the death knell for arcades. That was basically when people admitted it was over and didn't even try to push tech anymore.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
The PS4 drum controller is fun. Linda, Linda... one guy played that song for hours on a meet just recently. It's burned into my cortex now ;).

I've played the Switch one. I never realized it got a US release, but for some reason they never released the Taiko drums domestically. I had to get them from Amazon, and they weren't cheap, but they were worth it.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Visual Novels while never popular over here are still pretty big overseas. They're probably one of the few genres still carrying the 2D torch.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Visual Novels while never popular over here are still pretty big overseas. They're probably one of the few genres still carrying the 2D torch.

They’re actually gaining momentum in the states, particularly in the pc scene. Hatoful boyfriend, ladykiller in a bind and doki doki literature club got a fair amount of attention. PC Gamer actually has an article about visual novels this month.

And Hunipop uncensored was fantastic.