Fatal Fury 3!

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Makes a lot more sense to me now. So Id probably be off to a good start by playing FFS, FF3, RB1, and RBS. What of RB2? The character select and style seems VERY vibrant and Alpha-esque to me, which is attractive.

Also, slightly off topic I know, but in your opinion, what of the Art of Fighting games? Would 3 be the only one worthwhile? Or is the whole series a must play/own to a burgeoning SNK fighter fan?

Sounds like a plan! RB2 is my personal favorite FF game, but the majority prefer RBS more. I'd give RBS a shot first and if you enjoy it and want to experience a re-balance attempt with added characters then you can see what you think of RB2 or maybe even the RB Dominated Mind spinoff/port.

This is why we are friends!

:buttrock::buttrock:

...they are all fun single player games if you like the characters and story. In that context, all three are well worth it. AOF3 has the added bonus of being one of the best looking games on the Neo.

This pretty much. Beyond their graphical achievements at the time, I can't really defend AOF 1 and 2 outside of single player. However, I think AOF3 plays great when taken on its own. Compared to other faster paced 2d fighters, AOF3 definitely feels clunky and strange if you try to play it like you would a KOF, FF, SF etc. AOF3 has more in common mechanically and pacing-wise with 3d fighting games that tend to feature a heavier emphasis on combo strings, juggles, and the like. With that said, AOF3 really is an interesting segue into Buriki One's style of gameplay (unique controls aside)...

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
This man has impeccable taste.

Rick Strowd 4lyfe!

lol thanks Rick definitely deserved another shot. I know we got Vanessa and her moveset, but he (and Alfred too) could have been expanded on for sure. oh well lol

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Finally got to try 3 today. I dig the shit out of it. The soundtrack, backgrounds and overall presentation give me an 80s workingclass action film vibe. Of course this is the CD version so im not sure if the cart versions soundtrack makes it out to be a very different style/vibe.
The gameplay is great to me. Seems a bit less convoluted than FFS. Still very tight. Also tried RB2 today and that game is next level. Definite SF alpha vibes. I can tell its a much more sophisticated/competent fighter than FF3, or 2 for that matter. Cant wait to play both of these more! I love FF now haha

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Played some more fatal fury 3 because of this thread and I must say it is a great game. It feels like SNK was trying to make this their Magnum opus with all the dialogue, the great intro and the top notch pixel work. It is quite a great game to play through, and I will definitely play it more.