Fatal Fury 3!

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
I love FF3, I always thought it was cool how the characters had comic style speech balloons during the fight sometimes. the three plane system seems like the apogee of the fatal fury multi plane battle system, and the music is great. I prefer it to the realbout games, it seems to have a lot more content and personality, even if the RB series fine toned the fighting more.

TK86079

Mr. Big's Thug
I was grown up with FF2 and Special and I prefer to play them, but FF3 is a great Game too!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Best FF intro. Weakest playable FF roster (apart the very first). Still a fabulous game.

Axl

n00b
Always loved the Andy and Mai designs from this game, except his new way of doing the common Hishoken.
I always disliked black color in any clothes too. Until I saw Yamazaki...

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Only noobs sleep on FF3, or FF in general.

If their favorite FF game is Garou, they're a noob.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Ah FF3, absolutely amazing to look at, listen to & play. A great game. Probably the hardest of the series, I get my ass handed to me even on level 4.

I actually have a harder time with FFS than FF3, AOF2 or even SS3.

The old plane system was far more annoying to me than FF3’s.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
FF3 has been steadily rising in price over the years. What was once a $30 cart is now... what?... $60+?

shelcoof

New Challenger
Fatal Fury 3 was my most memorable Fatal Fury game.
It has the best backgrounds in a NeoGeo Fighter. All Fatal Fury games that came after with the exception of MOTW had very few backgrounds.
Fatal Fury 3 still looks amazing.

I wish the Real Bout series had re-used some of the backgrounds in 3.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
got to love the attention to detail of the sea life that went into the Aquarium on Mai's stage and the pure laziness of the sea life when you meet Yamazaki, giant crabs with limited frames of animation lol. A great game with great intro.

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
What would be the ST equivalent? Real Bout 1? (Sorry im a FF noob but the series greatly interests me)

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
What would be the ST equivalent? Real Bout 1? (Sorry im a FF noob but the series greatly interests me)

Sup Capitalistix. Fatal Fury Special would be the one you’re looking for.

The series parallels generally look like this:

FF1 vs SF1
FF2 & FFS vs SF2 series
Real Bout series vs Zero/Alpha series
MotW vs SFIII series

Once you hit the Real Bout series, those were more akin to the zero/alpha series in terms of the overhaul of the fighting systems and visual design of the Fatal Fury series at that point.

It’s a wonderful series. Don’t try to play it like Street Fighter if you can help it (old gaming habits die hard lol). If you commit to learning how to use the plain shifting mechanic, it really does add a lot more approach options, mix-ups, evade tech, and combo opportunities than what one would be used to in SF.

Enjoy the series :buttrock:

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
^this.

*although, with the level of animation frames in FF3, I always held it akin to Three.

MotW to 3rdStrike, most definitely.

** X>2>2i>3s [emoji28]

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Sup Capitalistix. Fatal Fury Special would be the one you’re looking for.

The series parallels generally look like this:

FF1 vs SF1
FF2 & FFS vs SF2 series
Real Bout series vs Zero/Alpha series
MotW vs SFIII series

Once you hit the Real Bout series, those were more akin to the zero/alpha series in terms of the overhaul of the fighting systems and visual design of the Fatal Fury series at that point.

It’s a wonderful series. Don’t try to play it like Street Fighter if you can help it (old gaming habits die hard lol). If you commit to learning how to use the plain shifting mechanic, it really does add a lot more approach options, mix-ups, evade tech, and combo opportunities than what one would be used to in SF.

Enjoy the series :buttrock:

Thanks for that bro! Im definitely trying to experience as much I can with FF. Id played MoTW before and I can totally see the 3S parrallels. Would you consider FF3 to be like ST as FF2 and Special are? Also, is RBS a better RB1 like FF2S is to FF2? Or are there reasons to own both RB1 and RBS in your opinion?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Would you consider FF3 to be like ST as FF2 and Special are?

I know you're asking BN, but no way.

ST was the final refinement of the SFII series.

FF3 was not the final refinement of FF2 and FFS, it scrapped that engine and started something entirely new.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Sorry in advance for the long post:

Thanks for that bro! Im definitely trying to experience as much I can with FF. Id played MoTW before and I can totally see the 3S parrallels. Would you consider FF3 to be like ST as FF2 and Special are? Also, is RBS a better RB1 like FF2S is to FF2? Or are there reasons to own both RB1 and RBS in your opinion?

Anytime :buttrock:

Although I love FF3, I have to admit that it really ended up acting as a prototype of sorts to the Real Bout entries in the series. FF3 was a fresh attempt to start over and expand on what SNK thought worked in FF up to that point (which was when the franchise enjoyed its highest point of popularity in Japan) while trying to pull in new/beginner players. FF3 featured grander presentation and animations while simultaneously having even more attack, quick plain-shifts/dodges/counters, and line-sway mechanics than FFS. Unfortunately, FF3 under-performed despite fan anticipation. The Real Bout series was born from SNK's attempts at fixing what didn't work in FF3 while trying to expand upon the series formula. The catch is that these attempts at expansion and improvement used the work that they had already done on FF3 as a base. This approach sets the resulting Real Bout series apart from the complete rebirth that was MotW. In addition to removing series character mainstays, MotW dropped all plain-shifting mechanics which had always been present in the primary games at that point (only 1 of 2 gameboy entries in the series pulled off the mechanic and the game gear port of FFS was impressive but removed the feature).

To wataru330's excellent point about FF3 and SF3 being animation leaps above their predecessors, FF3 was definitely an attempt to greatly expand on the core concepts and presentation of the Fatal Fury series at that point. However, MotW and SF3 both removed staple characters (but had their movesets evolved through new characters) and pushed the series gameplay in a new direction in terms of defensive mechanics. MotW in a lot of ways appeared to be a direct response to what Capcom brought to the table with SF3 on the CPS3 hardware. I often wonder how MotW would have turned out had the title utilized the 2d capabilities of the Hyper Neo Geo 64 rather than being limited to the aging neogeo mvs/home system hardware.

The same amount of change was not necessarily the case with FF3. Although it was a leap beyond the scope of FFS, like the alpha/zero series did for SF, FF3 sought to expand and exaggerate on the mechanics and characters that were already present in FF rather than scrap them like MotW would do later.

Regarding RB1 and RBS, both games are worth your time in my humble opinion. From a story perspective, RB1 features the end of the FF saga at that point which leads directly to Motw. Mechanically, RBS overhauls movesets and completely does away with the more complex line-sway options and ring-outs from RB1 entirely. FFS refined FF2 and basically made FF2 obsolete; RBS is a dream match that feels like a full alternative to what was offered in RB1.

ST was the final refinement of the SFII series.

FF3 was not the final refinement of FF2 and FFS, it scrapped that engine and started something entirely new.

+1 :buttrock:

Last edited:

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Regarding RB1 and RBS, both games are worth your time in my humble opinion. From a story perspective, RB1 features the end of the FF saga at that point which leads directly to Motw. Mechanically, RBS overhauls movesets and completely does away with the more complex line-sway options and ring-outs from RB1 entirely. FFS refined FF2 and basically made FF2 obsolete; RBS is a dream match that feels like a full alternative to what was offered in RB1.

Makes a lot more sense to me now. So Id probably be off to a good start by playing FFS, FF3, RB1, and RBS. What of RB2? The character select and style seems VERY vibrant and Alpha-esque to me, which is attractive.

Also, slightly off topic I know, but in your opinion, what of the Art of Fighting games? Would 3 be the only one worthwhile? Or is the whole series a must play/own to a burgeoning SNK fighter fan?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I often wonder how MotW would have turned out had the title utilized the 2d capabilities of the Hyper Neo Geo 64 rather than being limited to the aging neogeo mvs/home system hardware.

This is why we are friends!

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Also, slightly off topic I know, but in your opinion, what of the Art of Fighting games? Would 3 be the only one worthwhile? Or is the whole series a must play/own to a burgeoning SNK fighter fan?

All of the AOF games play rather poorly. But they are all fun single player games if you like the characters and story. In that context, all three are well worth it. AOF3 has the added bonus of being one of the best looking games on the Neo.