Just Finished Metroid: Samus Returns: My Thoughts - SPOILERS

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
For those that beat the game, how did you feel about it?

Maybe Return to Samus was trying to stay true to the world and mechanics of the original Metroid II. I really don't know because I haven't beat the Game Boy version since it came out. All I know for certain is that I am not very impressed by this game. Here are a few reasons.

1. The Ice Beam is worthless except for one part of the game. It can't even be combined with the Plasma Beam.

2. No Super Run.

3. No Kraid

4. Also, didn't feel like there were any real bosses. Well maybe one. The Digger Guy. He was OK as a boss, but I was really hoping for those huge multi screen bosses like in Super Metroid. They really should have utilized the dual screen for some boss fights.

5. The world was pretty bland overall. None of the areas felt very unique, and I was disappointed there was no under-water area such a Maridia.

6. The regular enemies were EXACTLY THE SAME in every area.

7. Back to the bosses... all the mini Metroid bosses were only of like 3 or 4 variants, and you had to fight like 40 of them through the game. So you had to do the same mini boss fight over and over. Then you had to fight those guys that roamed from room to room, which was incredibly annoying.

8. The Ridley fight was LAME as fuck. Didn't require any missiles, and was super easy. I was surprised this was the end. Also Ridley looked awful.

9. Here is the part I hated the most. The constant having to hold L trigger to aim while firing. This was incredibly uncomfortable. I actually had to take a few days off until my wrist stopped hurting. This game really needed a toggle for aim and missiles. So many situations where you had to hold L & R trigger, and make precise movements with the analog.

As much as I just bitched about this game, I did enjoy my time with it. I don't regret playing at all. However, I certainly feel Samus Returns is very much a "One n' Done" game for me. I will be selling it and never play it again.

Maybe I'm a bit out of the loop on 2D Metroid games, as I never played the GBA ones. I feel this game was a serious step back from Super Metroid, and that Nintendo really missed an opportunity to bring 2D Metroid's into the spotlight for newcomers to the series. Had I played this entry in the series first, I would not be a huge Metroid fan.

Overall score is a low C, 7/10

Last edited:

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I gave it a go but lost interest pretty early on. In fairness, I am not a fan of the genre, but I also don't think it was a particularly compelling entry into it. The only Metroid games I've finished are Super and Prime. The only other 2D Metroid-like I've finished is SotN, multiple times. I don't think I even saw the portable quasi-Castlevanias through, and most of those are far better than this.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
10. You have to parry everything in the game forcing you to play passive at all times

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
10. You have to parry everything in the game forcing you to play passive at all times

I actually thought the parry was a good mechanic. As you said though, it did slow you down. Shouldn't have been mandatory as much in the 1st parts of the game. After you get the screw attack though, you can blaze through areas.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Thats what I heard also. I downloaded it went it came out but never played it yet. Should give it a go.

I enjoyed this one, but it's nowhere near as engaging as Super or any others because it's a remake of a Gameboy game. I feel they missed the boat in really elaborating on some story, similar to Zero Mission did to the first game. I enjoyed it, the only gripe I have is that fusion and hard node are locked behind amiibo, which is bullshit.
I heard the amr2 project is high quality.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
AM2R is excellent. I got pretty close to 100%-ing it, IIRC. I definitely recommend it over the 3DS game, just based on people's reaction to Samus Returns.

I haven't played the 3DS game, but it sounds like Nintendo (or whoever they farmed this out to) didn't "enhance" the game much; they just remade the GB game in 2.5D and tacked on a few things. If this were a GBA game ten years ago, or a $10 download, that would have been fine, but I think people were expecting a bit more from a full-priced 3DS game.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I gave it a go but lost interest pretty early on. In fairness, I am not a fan of the genre, but I also don't think it was a particularly compelling entry into it. The only Metroid games I've finished are Super and Prime. The only other 2D Metroid-like I've finished is SotN, multiple times. I don't think I even saw the portable quasi-Castlevanias through, and most of those are far better than this.

I'm glad I'm not alone. I got it pretty much on the universal praise of various people with good taste. I got bored pretty quickly and never went back to it.