A sprite tile viewer

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
I've started learning to program the Neo. I decided to take a little detour and whip up a little sprite tile viewer now that I understand the format.

https://city41.github.io/neospriteviewer/

No practical value, but fun to play with.

Here is what RBFF C5/C6 looks like

DF9hNEY.png

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I have no idea what this means.

How you been bud?

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Interesting, nice job! I was able to see my c roms perfectly. All you need now is to include the palettes.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Interesting, nice job! I was able to see my c roms perfectly. All you need now is to include the palettes.

Thanks! Palettes are tough since they are loaded into RAM at runtime. Fun challenge though.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Added support for fix tiles from S roms. Just choose an S file instead of C files.

Here is Metal Slug's fix tiles

pxX9tB6.png

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Works great! I was able to see my complete S rom. Nice job.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Thanks! I originally built this just for fun, but I'm starting to find it useful. So I will probably keep improving it. I just added the tile indices

8SYEV7t.png

Eventually I'll improve the performance of it so it can load an entire tile set from large roms (currently capped at 1024 tiles), but since my homebrew stuff is so small that isn't that important to me (yet).

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Doh, just realized I had a bad bug this whole time. I was accidentally reading the C1 ROM twice, so at most a tile had 4 colors :eek_2:

That is now fixed. That also made it clear a greyscale palette is not good enough, so now it's an alternating blue/yellow palette.

Also if you click on a tile, you can see it in detail

Iz9bTF1.png