Metroid or Metroidvania?

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
That's a good one...Wonder Boy Dragon's Trap was also remade for XBO, PS4 and Switch. I haven't played it yet, but the upgrade is supposed to be purely aesthetics while keeping the original gameplay and layout intact.

You can toggle between modern and Sega Master System graphics on the fly, music too.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Must have missed that, though I wouldn't miss it for the world, so...

Where do you come up with comments like 'Where do you come up with comments like 'seeking loneliness, disregarding social interaction and communication isn't exactly popular'?

Where do you come up with replies, stating that it isn't? I based my comment on experience and from my experience, an antisocial attitude will not make anybody popular. It's like greeting someone, that won't greet you back. Talking to someone, who won't answer, asking for company you won't get. A game that evokes those feelings, i.e. allows for little to non interaction with NPCs, omits dialog, puts its main character character in a suit like she would suffer from the Glanzmann–Riniker syndrome, goes the same path in my interpretation, and it's not exactly leading to popularity.

I've got a cold, hard factual definition of popular; any game that sells more than a million copies is popular.

Well, I've also got one "hard factual" for you: selling one million copies of an in-house game doesn't define popular to Nintendo. Like at all. It's the definition of niche, i.e. something not exactly popular. The way Big N treats this series doesn't give me the least hint, that they would define it differently.

Your last line is -again- very romantic and poetic but doesn't make any sense (unless you dig poetry which a lot of fags here do). It's not exactly Homer's Odyssey.

I tell you what, Homer was allegedly the name of Matt Groening's father, but it also was the name of the author of the Iliad and the Odyssey. Now if you think that Groening had exclusively his father in mind when he choose the name for his Homer Simpson, and that it could have been just as well Tom, Dick or Harry or whatever name his grand parents would've chosen for his Dad, then it's okay with me, but I don't and if that doesn't make any sense to you either, then... it's okay with me, too. And yeah, I dig poetry. My favorite poets are Lil' Dap & Melachi the Nutcracker from Group Home.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I WANT to like them. I love the Castlevania games that aren’t Metroidvania and I love the setting and story of Metroid. But I just cant do it usually. I get bored or lost and don’t finish. I did finish cave story though.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I'm a huge fan of action-adventures and thought about the RPG aspect a lot recently. Action-RPGs have the experience point mechanic, which allows you to grind early on and have it easier for the rest of the game. For a short game like Ys III or Cadash, I don't mind it, but for SotN it's a gamebreaker, because its long and complex. You're overpowered soon, can disregard any tactics and just blaze through enemies and bosses quite easily.

Opposed to action-RPGs, in action-adventures extending your energy is part of exploring the landscape and dungeons. Puzzles have to be solved to gain more energy units, be it hearts or tanks. Some areas are unattainable at first, because you lack other items, thus preventing you from reaching an overpowering status too soon. Some adventure games like Popful Mail go without any energy extension, offering only better armor and healing.

Nicely put OC. The metroidvania castlevania games are great but the rpg mechanics are why I prefer the pace of Metroid’s pure maze-running and gunning gameplay. Although, Metroid rewards exploration with health and missile upgrades, taking one’s time to over-prepare and approach the bosses with a plethora of upgrades ran counter to the “escape the maze as fast as you can” incentives baked into the game from its nes debut.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Nicely put OC. The metroidvania castlevania games are great but the rpg mechanics are why I prefer the pace of Metroid’s pure maze-running and gunning gameplay. Although, Metroid rewards exploration with health and missile upgrades, taking one’s time to over-prepare and approach the bosses with a plethora of upgrades ran counter to the “escape the maze as fast as you can” incentives baked into the game from its nes debut.

Excellently put, my NINjA. There are many ways to make character development exiting, but level-ups based on gaining experience are anything but -- it's taking the easy route to what is a perfect playground to introduce innovation into this genre. I already mentioned Legend of Oasis, which features a completely fresh approach in this regard. I still love Ys III or King Colossus on the Mega Drive, even though they share the same system as SotN, but in my opinion, collecting experience points just doesn't fit the latter as well, as it does the former two.