King of Fighters XV set for 2020 release

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I've yet to play 14, not having any current gen console, but from watching videos, it seemed like they were on the right track gameplay-wise. They still have a lot of work ahead of them making it look like a current gen game, though.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
haven't played anything past kof 11 myself. and unless they add or drastically change something about the games, i probably won't purchase it.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Wake me up if it's sprite-based.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
At this point I would almost prefer some more characters as DLC for the existing game, but as long as it builds on 14 I’ll gladly support it.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I haven’t played 14 at all but I’m glad it’s happening, were never gonna get another sprite based KOF but I hope they switch graphical styles that is similar to how DB Fighterz uses 3D models that look like 2D sprites. Or how blade strangers used 3D models to make a sprite based fighter.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Just in time for the 2020 Olympics! What a surprise that is.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
We will see what happens but I'm sure they will try and make a visually impressive game. Wether they achieve this or not is another matter, but almost sure they will raise the bar by a lot. The bar is SFV right now surely

saner

Krauser's Henchman
SFV looks awful. Soul Calibur VI looks leagues better, as does KOFXIV (especially with the graphics patch).
KOFXV using unreal engine 4 is smart, they can focus on making the game instead of spending a lot of the time trying to make an engine at the sametime.
UE4 is effecient at getting games done, plus they could really raise the graphics levels too.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
SFV looks awful. Soul Calibur VI looks leagues better, as does KOFXIV (especially with the graphics patch).
KOFXV using unreal engine 4 is smart, they can focus on making the game instead of spending a lot of the time trying to make an engine at the sametime.
UE4 is effecient at getting games done, plus they could really raise the graphics levels too.

Someone's been taking their medication.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I played 14 for a good 6 months, and while i enjoy it, and find it easier to play than 13, I think 13 is the better game. I do think that the HD combos in 13 can be a bit ridiculous in there execution and damage, so if they used a system similar, but not as simple as 14's i would be happy. Also make it look like a 2D game ala DBFZ

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

I couldn't disagree more.
SFV is the bar because it's a next gen looking fighting game, and whilst I personally hate many Capcom decisions (I really dislike the implementation of alternate clothing for characters for instance.).
KOF patches or no looks efficient but very rigid.
Soul Calibur VI looks horrendous. The only game I like the look of very much in that series is Soul Edge and the first Soul Calibur for Dreamcast

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Of all the classic 2D fighting franchises to transition to 3D, I think SFV does the worst of catering to their longtime fanbase in terms of capturing the aesthetic and overall spirit people expect and want. KOF 14 does a workman if uninspired job of it, and Midway (well, NetherRealm), of all people, makes by far the best, most passionate attempt at capturing what their original fans loved about their classic games in a modern shell.

And it's funny, because I had next to zero interest in any of their games back in the '90s, but I respect the hell out of what NetherRealm has accomplished with MK 9 and X.

SNK I feel is maybe starting to find their way back with the new SamSho trailer, while Capcom is just spinning out.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Of all the classic 2D fighting franchises to transition to 3D, I think SFV does the worst of catering to their longtime fanbase in terms of capturing the aesthetic and overall spirit people expect and want. KOF 14 does a workman if uninspired job of it, and Midway (well, NetherRealm), of all people, makes by far the best, most passionate attempt at capturing what their original fans loved about their classic games in a modern shell.

And it's funny, because I had next to zero interest in any of their games back in the '90s, but I respect the hell out of what NetherRealm has accomplished with MK 9 and X.

SNK I feel is maybe starting to find their way back with the new SamSho trailer, while Capcom is just spinning out.
I can agree with this though I feel with SF the current aesthetic came with IV. It's a theme park caricaturized vision of SF.
SS is a complete enigma, crossing my fingers it lives up to expectations.

Kid Fenris

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
I'll be really disappointed if there isn't a Super Baseball 2020 team (with two humans and a robot) or at least a stage inspired by the game.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I'll be really disappointed if there isn't a Super Baseball 2020 team (with two humans and a robot) or at least a stage inspired by the game.

Keep up the good work on your site. And I sincerely mean that, cheers. You're a great writer.

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Great news from SNK,more KOF games please,Would love to see a remake of MotW or a new MotW!;)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I didn't realize SNK had been bought out by a Chinese mobile game company. That's kind of depressing, even though that's the reason they abandoned pachislot and went back to actual games. And at least it meant a big payday for E Kawasaki. But still sad.

Kid Fenris

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
Keep up the good work on your site. And I sincerely mean that, cheers. You're a great writer.

Wow, thanks! That made my day.

Great news from SNK,more KOF games please,Would love to see a remake of MotW or a new MotW!;)

Watch them make Art of Fighting 4 for no apparent reason.

Also, I hope KoFXV goes super deep with references, like giving Yuri her Tung Fu Rue move from the manga.

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1071978822092738560?s=19