DIY SNES -> NeoGeo DB15 adapter

Jonap

Mega Shock!!
If you are not OK with this cable, I can change the connector with a MegaDrive 9 pin MiniDIN.

David if you can put in the desing the megadrive 2 standard mini din9 you save me, they are much more standar and cheap.

Thanks for youre eternal patience and work! I wont bother you anymore! hehe.

Because Jamma doesnt have composite signal, put the Sync on composite signal of minidin 9 and thats fine.
Con03r.png

davidmorom

n00b
David if you can put in the desing the megadrive 2 standard mini din9 you save me, they are much more standar and cheap.

Thanks for youre eternal patience and work! I wont bother you anymore! hehe.

Because Jamma doesnt have composite signal, put the Sync on composite signal of minidin 9 and thats fine.

Here it goes. I connected audio to pins 6, 8 and 9 (left, right and mono). I also connected sync to both pins 4 and 5 (sync and composite), so you can use a cable with sync on composite, or a cable with csync.

https://mega.nz/file/Cow0SIQa#8I5co4a9fz0nieEQO990nSVAmJRwv9gpV4P1Ik4OgDM

Jonap

Mega Shock!!
Here it goes. I connected audio to pins 6, 8 and 9 (left, right and mono). I also connected sync to both pins 4 and 5 (sync and composite), so you can use a cable with sync on composite, or a cable with csync.

https://mega.nz/file/Cow0SIQa#8I5co4a9fz0nieEQO990nSVAmJRwv9gpV4P1Ik4OgDM

Thank you a lot, incredible work im going to send to do my board now! but i see a little problem i think.

The 2 center pins seems to be more close to up pin than the low pin, i think thats inverse in conector and dont fit, im correct?.

clFNfR3.png

10-unids-lote-MD-carcasa-hembra-DIN-9-Mini-Pin-s-video-adaptador-enchufe-Mini-DIN.jpg

Last edited:

davidmorom

n00b
Yes, it seems you are right. I picked the component directly from the eagle library, but it may be wrong, or perhaps there are two type of connectors. Tomorrow I'll check it carefully and correct it if needed.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Thank you a lot, incredible work im going to send to do my board now! but i see a little problem i think.

The 2 center pins seems to be more close to up pin than the low pin, i think thats inverse in conector and dont fit, im correct?.

clFNfR3.png

10-unids-lote-MD-carcasa-hembra-DIN-9-Mini-Pin-s-video-adaptador-enchufe-Mini-DIN.jpg

If you just slightly bend those pins in the right direction it will work fine. I don't know if it's worth the work to redo the board.

davidmorom

n00b
You are awesome David, thanks for all your patience and help, now yes i gonna build my supergun i post my feedback when all materials arrives :).

Yes please, post photos of the result when you have it assembled. And if you have any problem, feel free to ask.

littlecharlie

Quiz Detective
Hi all,

If anybody else is working on a MVS consolization project, they might be interested in the project/code I've just posted to GitHub, which allows you to interface a SNES controller to a DB15 socket.

https://github.com/robinhedwards/SNES-to-NeoGeo

(can't figure out how to post an image here - maybe I'm too new.... :confused:)

I think I saw a commercial product that does this it was about £30 - but I'm sure I'm not the only one that enjoys building stuff like this themselves.

I put this together for about a fiver, since I had most of the bits already (all except the SNES female socket, which I got on eBay for about £2).

The main advantage over other approaches is that it leaves the SNES controller pristine, so I can still use it on my SNES.

Next step, 3d printed case, and possible a proper PCB since I'm going to need two of these...

Robin

I have tried to build this circuit, but it is not working for me.
I think I have done everything as explained.

FsSj7dI.jpg

The arduino leds light on when connected to my consolized mvs, but it is not working. The snes controller itself is fine (i use it with the snes).
And when I use any neo geo controller in the consolized mvs, everything if fine.

I have no experience with the arduino, so I don't now if there is any basics that I'm missing.
The 5v from the neo geo cable goes to the VCC on the arduino board (and pin 1 of the snes connector). I have put special attention on connecting the cables to the corresponding pins in the board.

Any ideas?

----
Curious thing about the board is that both VCCs pins are not connected (is it normal?), while all GND pins are indeed.

Last edited:

davidmorom

n00b
I have tried to build this circuit, but it is not working for me.
I think I have done everything as explained.

The arduino leds light on when connected to my consolized mvs, but it is not working. The snes controller itself is fine (i use it with the snes).
And when I use any neo geo controller in the consolized mvs, everything if fine.

I have no experience with the arduino, so I don't now if there is any basics that I'm missing.
The 5v from the neo geo cable goes to the VCC on the arduino board (and pin 1 of the snes connector). I have put special attention on connecting the cables to the corresponding pins in the board.

Any ideas?

----
Curious thing about the board is that both VCCs pins are not connected (is it normal?), while all GND pins are indeed.

Did you flashed the firmware on the Arduino first?

littlecharlie

Quiz Detective
Did you flashed the firmware on the Arduino first?

I did not. I guess it was so basic that is was not even explained in the tutorial.
I purchased the arduino mini pro and just soldered the wires.

So, can you tell me how to flash it? And which firmware?

Thank you

Jonap

Mega Shock!!
I did not. I guess it was so basic that is was not even explained in the tutorial.
I purchased the arduino mini pro and just soldered the wires.

So, can you tell me how to flash it? And which firmware?

Thank you

Same problem for me :lol:

littlecharlie

Quiz Detective
OK, so I purchased a cp2102 and I will flash the snes_controller.ino.

Hope that will do it.

davidmorom

n00b
The microcontroller on the Arduino needs to be programmed before it can perform any useful task. Without that program, it is just like a computer without an operating system, it turns on but does nothing.

In the Github repo of the OP, there is a *.ino file, this is the source code of the program. You need to download the Arduino IDE from the official site, compile the program and upload it to the Arduino board. For connecting the Arduino Mini to the PC, you need a TTL-UART to USB adapter, like this one:

maxresdefault.jpg

Without that, I'm sorry you are at a dead end.

Jonap

Mega Shock!!
I buy cp2102 and I flash snes_controller.ino.

Now works flawless! thanks for help!.

Someone have the same but for megadrive db9 compatible with 6 button controllers? that can be very cool!.