Neo Geo Cd Toploader SFX issue

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I just got a NeoCd toploader in the mail. Long Story short, the Japan seller shipped it like an asshole. Hardly any bubble wrap, small box, you guys have seen this shit before. Pieces of plastic were rattling inside the NeoCd.

After opening it up and fixing some things, the NEOCD works but is missing the Select Sound. That sound when you press up, down, left, right, at the options or character select screen.

Funny enough, I haven't noticed a issue with the music or sfx during game play. Maybe there are more sounds that are missing since I only tested gameplay for like a minute but so far only sound I don't hear is the select sound.

I've made sure the ribbon cables inside are all the way in, I even swapped them out with another NeoCd and still same thing. Swapped out the whole top from another neocd with a different laser mech with this one and still get the same result, no select sound.

It has to be something on the motherboard side that is causing this missing select sound issue.

I already sent the ebay seller a pissed off message and am waiting for his response but want to see if this is something I could figure out in the mean time.

Last edited:

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I don't have any experience with NeoCD, but if someone described what you said about an MVS board it would point to the YM2610 being bad. I've had the replace a number of YM2610s because random sounds were missing. The way I normally check for this is to load up metal slug 2 or X and listen to the title screen where it does the M-E-T-A-L S-L-U-G 2. Its pretty obvious when sound(s) are missing when listening to that sequence.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'll try it out and see what happens.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Well Tried Metal Slug 2 and didn't hear any issues with the M-E-T-A-L-S-L-U-G-2 SFX but at the character select screen didn't hear anything when moving side to side and also didn't hear Marco's name when I selected him but during the game seems like everything sounded fine. Seems like no issue with music just certain sfx's are missing.

Last edited: