Selling high value items on Ebay

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You really want to directly give anonymous sellers your credit card information?

You're not paying the seller that way, you're paying ebay. Then ebay pays the seller. They have enabled direct credit card charges since Paypal is a separate company now.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
As a seller I've never been fucked on high end items, it's always the bottom of the barrel shit that you know someone is going to flip or flea market people. Item not as described or my kid bought it etc. Sure your 12 year kid bought an auto starter for a 2004 Subaru...

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
If its high value, it's gift or nothing these days. Not taking chances.

Just sold an item for $650. It was gift and trust or no sale. I mean I give people my name, address, and phone number. Plus I am not hard to find (have an IG, youtube channel, on basically every forum)

If trust can't be had between both parties, I don't take the risk and sell it. Only surefire way to know you won't get screwed in the end on some fraud claim with Paypal.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Sell on here instead. Unless you post pics of your PCBs, that's a risk you take.

That's the thing, even with board photos you are just as open to being hit with a "not as described" chargeback and being sent back a worthless decoy.

This was the reason I didn't sell any of my high end Aes carts on ebay. You will probably get more money on ebay for them but I rather just not deal with some bullshit scammer saying the game is a fake, keeping the game, and you having to refund him a shit load of money.

I sold a Boxed Snes Dracula X on ebay and the Noob who purchased it from me was unsure if the box was real or not so he gave me a negative feedback. I told him I had that game since the early 2k's and wanted him to give me a reason why the box was fake. He said his friends said that it was most likely a fake because finding a box for that game in great shape was impossible. These are the kind of dumb dumbs you deal with on ebay.

Much safer selling them here. Plus, It moves quicker here as well. Moving other shit might take awhile but moving Neo stuff has always been pretty quick for me.

This

I give up with eBay, it's full of absolute cretins. Even with accurate and honest descriptions of high end goods nobody is ever satisfied. The French are the worst, no point in going the extra mile for ungratefulness. Don't get me started on the seller fees either

Personally I find this less of a problem. If you put up clear photos and an accurate or even downplayed description, the vast majority of buyers are happy. If they have any complaints (even stupid ones) accept them graciously, return item and refund immediately.

Nothing, see this guy. Just don't use PayPal, end of story. You'll still reach all those interested.

The problem is most "no paypal" listings will be removed pretty quickly as it breaches their rules. Technically you're even required to accept paypal for collection in person which is obviously a terrible idea for the seller.

I have yet to have a fraudulent chargeback on ebay, but it doesn't surprise me. There's far more protection for the buyer.

Consumers are shitty people, but i didn't think it was that common.

I suspect for items priced in four figures the risk of being scammed seriously increases. Couple that with the already shady market for conversions in Europe and it's the perfect storm of fraud.

If its high value, it's gift or nothing these days. Not taking chances.

Just sold an item for $650. It was gift and trust or no sale. I mean I give people my name, address, and phone number. Plus I am not hard to find (have an IG, youtube channel, on basically every forum)

If trust can't be had between both parties, I don't take the risk and sell it. Only surefire way to know you won't get screwed in the end on some fraud claim with Paypal.

That sounds like an idea but there would have to be some pretty sound levels of trust as the buyer is accepting all the risk.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
just keep your shit if selling it is this scary

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I've managed to liquidate almost my entire videogame collection over the last few years with very few problems but now I'm left with a dozen or so AES titles that I'm concerned about selling on that hive or scum and villany known as Ebay. The end is in site for me though and I'll be glad to be out of this self destructive game for good.

Thanks for all the advice so far. It does appear that Ebay is just as bad as I suspected.

That leaves me with:

-Sell on here to stand up folks only possibly even implementing the paypal gift or no deal scenario if necessary.
-Advertise locally and do cash on collection although that will create another set of problems. Hired goons are expensive.
-Sell on consignment to the Neo Store.
-Send to an intermediary third party for a fee and use their reputation for trust.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've managed to liquidate almost my entire videogame collection over the last few years with very few problems but now I'm left with a dozen or so AES titles that I'm concerned about selling on that hive or scum and villany known as Ebay. The end is in site for me though and I'll be glad to be out of this self destructive game for good.

Thanks for all the advice so far. It does appear that Ebay is just as bad as I suspected.

That leaves me with:

-Sell on here to stand up folks only possibly even implementing the paypal gift or no deal scenario if necessary.
-Advertise locally and do cash on collection although that will create another set of problems. Hired goons are expensive.
-Sell on consignment to the Neo Store.
-Send to an intermediary third party for a fee and use their reputation for trust.

That's what I did. I'll sell paypal regular to a well known member but if some noob comes along and wants to buy one of your games, tell him paypal gift or nothing. If he gives you some bullshit about buyer protection, tell him to fuck off.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Sellers who want to sell expensive items (or anything really) PayPal gift only can fuck right off.

Razo is cool so this isn't directed at him, but I've seen established members of many communities suddenly disappear with PayPal money. Anyone who sends more than a few bucks to anyone that isn't legitimately a good friend is a moron.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Any time you introduce money into the equation there is a risk of the deal going bad and someone getting taken advantage of.

That’s why I now only trade games in exchange for sexual favors.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
As a seller I've never been fucked on high end items, it's always the bottom of the barrel shit that you know someone is going to flip or flea market people. Item not as described or my kid bought it etc. Sure your 12 year kid bought an auto starter for a 2004 Subaru...

My 2 year old bought and paid for two items when she was playing with my phone. One was a record that I was "watching". I ended up letting it pass since I know the seller. The other was a framed picture of a Ferris wheel. I canceled that shit.

This is terrible advice.

Please do tell.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
That's the thing, even with board photos you are just as open to being hit with a "not as described" chargeback and being sent back a worthless decoy.

This

Personally I find this less of a problem. If you put up clear photos and an accurate or even downplayed description, the vast majority of buyers are happy. If they have any complaints (even stupid ones) accept them graciously, return item and refund immediately.

The problem is most "no paypal" listings will be removed pretty quickly as it breaches their rules. Technically you're even required to accept paypal for collection in person which is obviously a terrible idea for the seller.

I suspect for items priced in four figures the risk of being scammed seriously increases. Couple that with the already shady market for conversions in Europe and it's the perfect storm of fraud.

That sounds like an idea but there would have to be some pretty sound levels of trust as the buyer is accepting all the risk.

Buyer on that definitely assumed some risk, but I gave him my name / address / tel number / all the forums I frequent / my IG / and my youtube. So he could flame the hell out of me if I pulled a fast one, not to mention call the police and file a theft claim.

I was selling something I have no idea as to whether or not it works, and he knew that. It's a prototype gpu that I can't test. So I don't want a "doesnt work as described" claim coming back since it's literally a one off component and the buyer knows he might be receiving a really expensive paperweight.

I am just tired of getting screwed on "not as described" discount requests. Almost 25% of whatever I've sold on ebay gets a "condition not as described, can I get money back" message sent. I grade too harshly and take photos of any blemish yet I still constantly get these issues. So I don't sell anything over $100 on ebay. Fine you want a 10% discount on a $15 game...I don't care, you win. But I am not getting hit with a 10-20% request on multiple hundreds of dollars.

On here if I know someone and their history, paypal with fees and protection is cool. But generally its gift or no sale, especially on items like I just sold

Plus religion user name = not shipping on eBay. 9/10 times I get scam attempts from these users. It's like they hide behind the shield of religion to proclaim their innocence while they try to absolutely screw me

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
There are plenty of people willing to meet up and hand over cash so they can make a slim margin. They are willing to take the risk.

I personally hate selling crap online and paying commissions and taking all the risk and leaving a paper trail as to my finances. So I sell most everything person to person.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
There are plenty of people willing to meet up and hand over cash so they can make a slim margin. They are willing to take the risk.

Yea, you're also taking the risk with meeting up with some wacko or the guy who says he's interested and swinging by to pick it up and never shows up and doesn't even send you a message to apologize for not showing or something like I got held up and couldn't make it.

My Kid collects these LOL toys and she has a shitload of them. Once she scratches off all the toys from the season list, she sometimes has spare new one's left over. My wife posts them on facebook and people flock to these things, It's unbelievable. I've made a few deliveries already locally but if you seen some of these people that I met, you wonder if it's even worth it lol. Don't even get me started with Craigslist.

I could picture some wacko gamer holding Moonwhistle up at GunPoint for his $2k Aes Game.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Bunch of Pussies. Bank and Police Station lol.

I do Abandoned buildings only.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Most communities have designated areas for marketplace exchanges. All those phone apps have really increased in-person trading.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Most communities have designated areas for marketplace exchanges. All those phone apps have really increased in-person trading.

Sounds IRS funded.