Why is Kizuna Encounter (European version) so rare?

Irschen

n00b
It is not about buying it, but I am considering selling my kizuna.
Or just exchange for Ultimate 11 + additional payment.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
This is one of those things that nobody can possibly guess as it comes up so rarely. Throw it on ebay and let the market decide.

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
I came across this article about Kizuna.

“By the way, I would like to reveal the true story about the KIZUNA ENCOUNTER release by SNK in 1996. During my visit at SNK Osaka building, Mr. koyama told me the true story about Kizuna Encounter and Ultimate 11 AES USA releases. He said that in 1996, SNK was caught in fire in one of its factories, and it influenced on the production of some NEO GEO cart version titles. Officialy Kizuna Encounter USA and Ultimate 11 USA do not exist! They were canceled. But the inserts of those USA games were already created and printed, and in some way, a snk employee made a mistake with some few games.”

Here is the link to the interview: https://www.culturaneogeo.com/imagenes/entrevistas/ncieng.htm

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Didn't they burn a bunch a shit to claim a loss for tax reasons? Isn't that generally why games from 96 are hard to find?

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I came across this article about Kizuna.

“By the way, I would like to reveal the true story about the KIZUNA ENCOUNTER release by SNK in 1996. During my visit at SNK Osaka building, Mr. koyama told me the true story about Kizuna Encounter and Ultimate 11 AES USA releases. He said that in 1996, SNK was caught in fire in one of its factories, and it influenced on the production of some NEO GEO cart version titles. Officialy Kizuna Encounter USA and Ultimate 11 USA do not exist! They were canceled. But the inserts of those USA games were already created and printed, and in some way, a snk employee made a mistake with some few games.”

Here is the link to the interview: https://www.culturaneogeo.com/imagenes/entrevistas/ncieng.htm

That sounds like a load of bull. It's not like some bootleggers are authoritative voices of SNK history either.
I'm betting destroyed for tax reasons. Same thing happened with Turbo Technologies, Inc. and teh raerz US super cds/bonk 3 hucard.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Yeah sounds like a fluff piece to get collectards hard.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
the JPN version is also expensive as fuck. Alot of articles about Euro Kizuna give misinformation and say the JPN version is really cheap when its the MVS version thats cheap.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
the JPN version is also expensive as fuck. Alot of articles about Euro Kizuna give misinformation and say the JPN version is really cheap when its the MVS version thats cheap.

I guess they mean it's cheap compared to the rare euro version. I like Kizuna. I think it's a cool fighting game but fuck these prices. I got that shit on mvs for $50 shipped. It's a $5 rom.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yes, but can you find the MVS version with an original label?

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Yes, but can you find the MVS version with an original label?

I did ;) (only once, in all my arcade operator searches, but still)... I'd be curious to know why the Kizuna MVS english label is so rare (maybe "uncommon" is a better definition): my serial number is 009149, so - correct me if I'm wrong - it wasn't exactly a low production game...

Last edited:

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I guess they mean it's cheap compared to the rare euro version. I like Kizuna. I think it's a cool fighting game but fuck these prices. I got that shit on mvs for $50 shipped. It's a $5 rom.

They are definitely mixing up the Jpn and Mvs versions, this isnt the only article

"However, it was produced in such small quantities for the European market that collectors speculate fewer than 15 copies were made. The Japanese version, which is exactly the same except for different packaging, is fairly common and sells for about $50."

https://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/03/20/mf.rich.off.video.games/index.html

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
That sounds like a load of bull. It's not like some bootleggers are authoritative voices of SNK history either.
I'm betting destroyed for tax reasons. Same thing happened with Turbo Technologies, Inc. and teh raerz US super cds/bonk 3 hucard.

the info regarding the fire is actually true...

I had an interview with SNK in 2006... they told me the same. due to a fire in one of the cart producing factories in China they had a shortage on Japanese carts. which lead to KE (don't know about U11..) being shipped back to Japan and get relabeled.

since the Japanese market showed better chances to sell off KE instead then in US/Europe.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member

Do you have more info about this? Never heard of this before, and would be interested reading about it

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Do you have more info about this? Never heard of this before, and would be interested reading about it

In the cloned PCEFX forum you might find more info but I have no idea which thread this was, * used to claim Turbo Zone Direct only bought small quantities of some of TTi's late HuCard and CD releases such as Magical Chase, so on liquidation a good portion of the inventory was steamrolled into oblivion with a tax man watching and everything. I'm personally inclined to believe him and the original thread was quite convincing IIRC.

edit: *I thought it was Dan but I'm not so sure anymore.

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
In the cloned PCEFX forum you might find more info but I have no idea which thread this was, * used to claim Turbo Zone Direct only bought small quantities of some of TTi's late HuCard and CD releases such as Magical Chase, so on liquidation a good portion of the inventory was steamrolled into oblivion with a tax man watching and everything. I'm personally inclined to believe him and the original thread was quite convincing IIRC.

edit: *I thought it was Dan but I'm not so sure anymore.

I found them:

https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=5384.0
https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9653.120
https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=12815.15

Really interesting read, I never knew that. Definitely explains why some of the games are so rare.

Shmuppy

Banned
Has anyone attempted to contact someone from Maro to confirm this? That'd be some crazy investigative journalism. I'll remain a skeptic until we get confirmation. I'd love to be wrong. I have no qualms about that, but I don't think I'll believe it's official until a rep or producer from the source comes out to talk about it.

Puhh, since this very interesting thread got digged out of the grave I feel comfortable to give my two cents. I will not promise anything. I was pretty cool with all MARO staff including the chief and his right hand. Since I lost contact to these guys I try to find out the number of the guy who should/could know, the "right hand". This shop was like heaven and the icing on the cake were things like DaytonaUSA 8P.

Oh and hello Neo community:)

Last edited:

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
I did ;) (only once, in all my arcade operator searches, but still)... I'd be curious to know why the Kizuna MVS english label is so rare (maybe "uncommon" is a better definition): my serial number is 009149, so - correct me if I'm wrong - it wasn't exactly a low production game...

Is this really rare? I have a Kizuna encounter MVS cart with an English original label although I believed it has another label underneath. Someone told me back when I bought it that it was common for SNK to put English labels on top of Japanese ones.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Is this really rare? I have a Kizuna encounter MVS cart with an English original label although I believed it has another label underneath. Someone told me back when I bought it that it was common for SNK to put English labels on top of Japanese ones.

From what I've heard, finding a Kizuna Encounter MVS with a good english label is quite uncommon - wouldn't say "rare", 'cause there's probably a couple of them on ebay right now. For what reason? Beats me.

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
Found this a few years ago while clearing my granddad's house in Germany.
Old video game magazine that my brother and I used to occasionally get bought by the big man.
Took a Photo of this ad.... back in German Mark times. Check out the Kizouna.
Now if only I had known back then, little me would have put some pressure on Opa to drive down there and lend me 600 Marks to be paid back 20 years later.

Maro Werbung2b.jpg

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Is kizuna encounter actually a pretty good game?
I actually thought it was rather average when i had it on mvs. Oddly enough, earlier this week i played savage reign for the first time and was blown away with how crazy it was. I like it a lot more.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I actually thought it was rather average when i had it on mvs. Oddly enough, earlier this week i played savage reign for the first time and was blown away with how crazy it was. I like it a lot more.

It's not really "average" at all.

Is kizuna encounter actually a pretty good game?

It has kind of a funky learning curve that could be potentially alienating to some (many?), but "average" isn't an appropriate synonym for that sentiment.

The game is rather over the top. It's a very (chain) combo heavy title that demands a decent understanding of the many variations of normals your character can produce through just three attack buttons and an understanding of which normals chain and which ones don't. Movement is a little stiff...but the combo engine is very smooth, so that initial stiff feeling is somewhat offset. Odd combination!

I love how the game takes many of the campy early 90's style character designs (from savage reign) and blends them with some very stylish new characters (while still maintaining a cohesive feel and style). The game allows you to pull off ALMOST Marvel caliber combos (albeit far more ground based) but with sprites that look like they were cut from an Art of Fighting cloth (a very POLISHED cloth though).

The game feels modern for the year it was released (1996), thanks to its combo engine as well as the tag system of course). The same couldn't be said for Savage Reign (1995), which felt very behind the times.

The atmosphere, music, and backgrounds are great. I understand the game is not a flavor everyone can enjoy, but I would never call it "average".

Last edited: