The effects of moving on my 10 year old daughter

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I didn’t want to comment on the title either, but it would definitely trigger bloodycelt.

tenor.gif

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Nice Crib. In Jersey, that amount of land wouldn't cost 110k in a shit neighborhood. Something like that here would go from $350k-$450k depending on the neighborhood and taxes would be like 8-10k a year.

Dude, I was looking at houses in Atlantic City. Now is the time to buy. You can get a place a few blocks from the beach for like $50k.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Dude, I was looking at houses in Atlantic City. Now is the time to buy. You can get a place a few blocks from the beach for like $50k.

Atlantic City Lol. That's like Heroin Capital. No one wants to live there. Should have been more specific. Northern and Central Jersey. Jersey City, Harrison, Newark, Kearny, North Arlington, Verona, Montclair, Millburn, Cranford, Westfield, that area.

You might be able to find a decent one family for maybe $280-$320 in a decent neighborhood. You want something in a really nice neighborhood, forget about it.

Me and the wife have been looking for another home and we've been shopping around for deals but the Market is so high. Really bad time to buy. My realtor just sent me this one. Look at the taxes on it and it needs some serious remodeling.

https://emailrpt.gsmls.com/public/s...2up&Id=154653903_26283&sellstngsysid=#4854046

Last edited:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Taxes in tri-state area is out of control. NJ is the poster child because it is state-wide. Westchester, NY has the highest property tax in the country. It is a complete rip-off because my town in NJ's property tax is used to fund the shitty schools in Elizabeth. Those schools under-perform because the parents suck, it doesn't matter how much money they pour into it.

My neighbor is a teacher in Elizabeth, he told me they get free iPad/laptops every year, and if the students break them, they just get new ones. Meanwhile, my daughter's school has to do multiple fundraisers just to fix the roof and install air conditioning. My small house is over 12k/year. I can't wait till my kids are done with public schools and I don't have to work in the city. I am moving the hell out of here.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Taxes in tri-state area is out of control. NJ is the poster child because it is state-wide. Westchester, NY has the highest property tax in the country. It is a complete rip-off because my town in NJ's property tax is used to fund the shitty schools in Elizabeth. Those schools under-perform because the parents suck, it doesn't matter how much money they pour into it.

My neighbor is a teacher in Elizabeth, he told me they get free iPad/laptops every year, and if the students break them, they just get new ones. Meanwhile, my daughter's school has to do multiple fundraisers just to fix the roof and install air conditioning. My small house is over 12k/year. I can't wait till my kids are done with public schools and I don't have to work in the city. I am moving the hell out of here.

Yea, the whole system here is shit. I'm paying 12k in taxes but I own a two family and live in a city.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Yea, the whole system here is shit. I'm paying 12k in taxes but I own a two family and live in a city.

The only reason to pay that much is to utilize the public school, there is literally no incentive to move to a town with crap school districts. Hopefully my town will survive a market crash in the next couple of decades because I predict the next crash will be long and sustained.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Atlantic City Lol. That's like Heroin Capital. No one wants to live there. Should have been more specific. Northern and Central Jersey. Jersey City, Harrison, Newark, Kearny, North Arlington, Verona, Montclair, Millburn, Cranford, Westfield, that area.

You might be able to find a decent one family for maybe $280-$320 in a decent neighborhood. You want something in a really nice neighborhood, forget about it.

Me and the wife have been looking for another home and we've been shopping around for deals but the Market is so high. Really bad time to buy. My realtor just sent me this one. Look at the taxes on it and it needs some serious remodeling.

https://emailrpt.gsmls.com/public/s...2up&Id=154653903_26283&sellstngsysid=#4854046

Oh my god in heaven. I know the location is apples/oranges...but that's a $160K home here all day, at best...and those taxes! Holy shit!

Over here if you want a beautiful home, nothing crazy, like a nice 4 bedroom home in excellent shape, newer. You are looking at about $500k+. This is why alot of people are moving out of Jersey and going South.

This is a good example

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea..._NJ_07928_M61836-82540?ex=NJ649032562&view=qv

Again...not even $160K here.

Here's one we looked at seriously, but the whole split level -w- underside garage = zero storage space.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...-Ln_East-Peoria_IL_61611_M82569-56340?view=qv

*last edit*
I will say that I really do not think the area that I live in is all that terrible. A few hrs drive to Chicago, St. Louis, or Indianapolis, decent amenities locally and a great hospital. Hell, the Children's Hospital of Ill is right in our back yard should god forbid we even need to use it.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The only reason to pay that much is to utilize the public school, there is literally no incentive to move to a town with crap school districts. Hopefully my town will survive a market crash in the next couple of decades because I predict the next crash will be long and sustained.

Yea, that's the main reason I want to move as well. It's either move to a nicer neighborhood with better schools or just fork over the cash for a private school. I seriously don't even know how people are able to afford rents over here. 1 bedroom apartments are going for like $1300. 3 Bedrooms are going for over 2k. It's out of control.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Oh my god in heaven. I know the location is apples/oranges...but that's a $160K home here all day, at best...and those taxes! Holy shit!

The fucked up thing is people outbid one another over here. The house could be going for $399k and end up selling for $450k.

I'll never over pay for a house. I'll start with a $20-$30k less offer and work my way up.

Me and the wife would kill to live in a nice home like yours. We don't need anything huge or extravagant. Just a nice home in great shape in a great neighborhood but over here it's hard to come by at good price.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I thought MA was bad but $12k taxes on a house that is valued at $399 is pretty crazy.

Many years ago I almost took a job in Parissipany, but very glad I didn’t. Fuck NJ.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I thought MA was bad but $12k taxes on a house that is valued at $399 is pretty crazy.

Many years ago I almost took a job in Parissipany, but very glad I didn’t. Fuck NJ.

I like NJ, but the infrastructure and tax is all messed up. I wouldn't mind moving to south/western NJ, but even there the taxes blow. Might as well go to PA, but they probably have problems I am not aware of.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Seems like people have forgotten what happened 10 years ago. Prices are approaching peak bubble levels in some areas.

Smokehouse: Your area looks very reasonable for a nice place. Those homes would be over $200k easily in an average Tampa neighborhood, let alone a desirable area.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Housing prices are already past 2008 levels. But this bubble (if you call it that) is not caused by the same thing as 2008's subprime loan/lax lending standards. This bubble is fueled by the Fed's easy money Quantitative Easing policy. Now that the Fed is finally normalizing (raising) interest rates again, we are seeing signs of prices of other assets (equity/bonds) stabilizing.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Housing prices are already past 2008 levels. But this bubble (if you call it that) is not caused by the same thing as 2008's subprime loan/lax lending standards. This bubble is fueled by the Fed's easy money Quantitative Easing policy. Now that the Fed is finally normalizing (raising) interest rates again, we are seeing signs of prices of other assets (equity/bonds) stabilizing.

The good thing is that around these parts, housing never did rise/pop, not even on high end real estate. $60K house, $600K house, around here none of it skyrocketed during the late 90's, early 2000's surge. In the end, it was good because the bottom really never "dropped out" from housing as there was no false inflation to shed.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Man i remember driving through central jersey, its incredibly nice around there.

That property tax rate is fucking insane, triple what it is here with the exchange and we have one of the highest property tax rates in country.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Beast mode

The good thing is that around these parts, housing never did rise/pop, not even on high end real estate. $60K house, $600K house, around here none of it skyrocketed during the late 90's, early 2000's surge. In the end, it was good because the bottom really never "dropped out" from housing as there was no false inflation to shed.

That's awesome! Housing being used for housing and not an investment.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Home prices are crazy expensive in several burgeoning metro areas because demand outstrips supply.

A lot of that has to do with economic growth, but also because the resident homeowners of those areas have used goverment to restrict the housing supply.

Attempts to put together a housing solution that greatly increases supply (affordable, densely packed dwellings) are thwarted at every turn. Doesn't matter if they are "conservatives" or "Liberals", they always oppose housing projects.

Property owners simply don't have the economic incentive to relieve supply issues. That is until they their own kids can't find housing and still live at home or move away. That's when they complain or, they give their kids a wad of down-payment money to go gentrify a neighborhood that they been economically stigmatizing for their entire life.

Last edited: