CPS2 Label Variants

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
ITT: Noob argues with the dude who probably knows more about CPS2 than Capcom themselves.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Do you have a url for the video. From the pic that dd2 label does not look official at all (left one is) and as far as progear goes, Capcom supplied them with no lablels at all in most cases so I do not see that they would then make a colored label years later, espicially given its not even one of their games.

The color DND label is 100% legit, it symbolizes the revision that fix the cheat glitch

Shadow over Mystara (glitched aka special rules) rom ddsomur1. Abusing the naming system using a method involving typing a string of a certain repeated letters causes the game to become incredibly glitched, giving the players powerful items in the beginning of the game. This exploit also has a nasty side effect of causing the game to have an incredible amount of visual bugs (flickering sprites, missing sprites and mistakes in the text) and often causes the game to reboot, or worse, to freeze up. Arcade owners, unaware that the players themselves were the cause of the troubles, would often shut down the machine for repair or simply remove the game completely. Gamers on the Internet, aware of these consequences, would often refuse to post instructions on how to activate the glitch. Revision 2 of the game prevented the use of this bug.

20170819_170952.jpg
eco.jpg

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The color DND label is 100% legit, it symbolizes the revision that fix the cheat glitch

Shadow over Mystara (glitched aka special rules) rom ddsomur1. Abusing the naming system using a method involving typing a string of a certain repeated letters causes the game to become incredibly glitched, giving the players powerful items in the beginning of the game. This exploit also has a nasty side effect of causing the game to have an incredible amount of visual bugs (flickering sprites, missing sprites and mistakes in the text) and often causes the game to reboot, or worse, to freeze up. Arcade owners, unaware that the players themselves were the cause of the troubles, would often shut down the machine for repair or simply remove the game completely. Gamers on the Internet, aware of these consequences, would often refuse to post instructions on how to activate the glitch. Revision 2 of the game prevented the use of this bug.

I don't buy into that as a reason Capcom would follow. They never did the same with fixed glitches in other CPS2 games and the glitch free version I had never had that label either. What I can say with certinity however even from the quality of pictures in the thread, the label in your picture is really quite different than the label pictued earlier in the thread. That only raises more uncertinity that its not a genuine label. Now maybe after Capcom sold off their stock the buyer of it reprogrammed some stock to newer versions of the game and they then at this point put labels on so they knew which they had done but this does not make it an official Capcom label. When Capcom sold there stuff off they also sold/handed off the rights to fix dead boards using their security reprogramming tools so the owner could also swap games on PCBs if they wanted to.

No question about ddtod and eco fighters having colored labels though that I totally agree with.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I don't buy into that as a reason Capcom would follow. They never did the same with fixed glitches in other CPS2 games and the glitch free version I had never had that label either. What I can say with certinity however even from the quality of pictures in the thread, the label in your picture is really quite different than the label pictued earlier in the thread. That only raises more uncertinity that its not a genuine label. Now maybe after Capcom sold off their stock the buyer of it reprogrammed some stock to newer versions of the game and they then at this point put labels on so they knew which they had done but this does not make it an official Capcom label. When Capcom sold there stuff off they also sold/handed off the rights to fix dead boards using their security reprogramming tools so the owner could also swap games on PCBs if they wanted to.

No question about ddtod and eco fighters having colored labels though that I totally agree with.

Capcom does what Capcom did and that was no small glitch as it broke the game. The color DnD SOM label was a limited run much like the color ecofighters and the color label on my DnD board is the same as the other. They liquidated their NOS all their arcade hardware to Vinh btw and the kit he had also had a color sticker and no he didn't slap a custom sticker on it. The only thing that brings questions is there is no revision date on the sticker but than again the japanese ecofighters color label is missing this information also and so is true for the U.S armored warrior label. Capcom handed off no equipment to repair/reboot these boards, the equipment you seen obtained by that 3rd party wasn't obtained with consent. In fact when Vinh bought out capcom coin-op they would NOT let him buy just loose art only kits and loose PCB's

I have owned 5 DnD SOM boards with color labels that's where I draw my observation from

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Capcom does what Capcom did. The color DnD SOM label was a limited run much like the color ecofighters and the color label on my DnD board is the same as the other. They liquidated their NOS all their arcade hardware to Vinh btw and the kit he had also had a color sticker and no he didn't slap a custom sticker on it. The only thing that brings questions is there is no revision date on the sticker but than again the japanese ecofighters color label is missing this information also and so is true for the U.S armored warrior label. Capcom handed off no equipment to repair/reboot these boards, the equipment you seen obtained that 3rd party wasn't obtained with consent. In fact when Vinh bought out capcom coin-op they would NOT let him buy just loose art only kits and loose PCB's

I have owned 5 DnD SOM boards with color labels that's where I draw my observation from

In your picture it has rounded corners, in the other picture it has straight edges. I know Capcom did what they did and they did strange things but the question is did they do this label situation and I don't think so (they were heavily directed by Capcom in Japan), did you own these boards before 2000 for example?

BTW Capcom USA did hand off their security reprogramming equipment to a third party when they stopped. I know this because back in the day my Capcom USA contact told me who I needed to contact to revive a board which I then did.

Raz

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
In your picture it has rounded corners, in the other picture it has straight edges. I know Capcom did what they did and they did strange things but the question is did they do this label situation and I don't think so (they were heavily directed by Capcom in Japan), did you own these boards before 2000 for example?

BTW Capcom USA did hand off their security reprogramming equipment to a third party when they stopped. I know this because back in the day my Capcom USA contact told me who I needed to contact to revive a board which I then did.

Raz

I acquired all those boards from multiple sources way way before you developed your phoenix fix. Capcom U.S was not as professional when it came to minor cosmetics such as the sticker. Sometimes they would slap one sticker over another, sometimes they would use a freckin ink jet label as was the case with my mega man 2 kit. But the bottom line is that multiple boards came out their factory with that label in fact the last DnD kit did as I physically saw the lit when Vinh bought it straight from Capccom coin op. If these didn't come from Capcom than we are talking illuminati because I shouldn't have come across so many so way back

Who did you send your board to in order to be rebooted out of curiosity because no one in this region could get their cps2 or 3 serviced when capcom closed its doors

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I acquired all those boards from multiple sources way way before you developed your phoenix fix. Capcom U.S was not as professional when it came to minor cosmetics such as the sticker. Sometimes they would slap one sticker over another, sometimes they would use a freckin ink jet label as was the case with my mega man 2 kit. But the bottom line is that multiple boards came out their factory with that label in fact the last DnD kit did as I physically saw the lit when Vinh bought it straight from Capccom coin op.

Who did you send your board to in order to be rebooted out of curiosity because no one in this region could get their cps2 or 3 serviced when capcom closed its doors

This right here, even the stuff Betson acquired straight from Capcom Coin-Op was the same. My MM2 was just like mainmans, just not in kit form.

Also, if anyone was gonna buy the reprogramming equipment as a 3rd party and provided a service, it would have been Betson as they had the cash and were the biggest distributor then along with their service program. Betson didn't have it.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I acquired all those boards from multiple sources way way before you developed your phoenix fix. Capcom U.S was not as professional when it came to minor cosmetics such as the sticker. Sometimes they would slap one sticker over another, sometimes they would use a freckin ink jet label as was the case with my mega man 2 kit. But the bottom line is that multiple boards came out their factory with that label in fact the last DnD kit did as I physically saw the lit when Vinh bought it straight from Capccom coin op. If these didn't come from Capcom than we are talking illuminati because I shouldn't have come across so many so way back

For sure I know Capcon US was not that professional that is something we both agree on and I agree they put board labels over each other, every time I saw this however it was always the official stickers and never anything inkjetted. Many blue boards for example with new label over a ssf2 label.

I cannot remember the company that I sent the board to, just that I was past onto them from my Capcom US contact after they had closed their doors. I could try and see if I can find the emails but that would mean digging through old harddrives I have stored that may no longer be working. It was defo an arcade operator however and I was told they took over board repair, I remember they had a webpage bacuase I looked them up and even asked about obtaining the equipment. Perhaps I got different treatment because they knew who I was.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
For sure I know Capcon US was not that professional that is something we both agree on and I agree they put board labels over each other, every time I saw this however it was always the official stickers and never anything inkjetted. Many blue boards for example with new label over a ssf2 label.

I cannot remember the company that I sent the board to, just that I was past onto them from my Capcom US contact after they had closed their doors. I could try and see if I can find the emails but that would mean digging through old harddrives I have stored that may no longer be working. It was defo an arcade operator however and I was told they took over board repair, I remember they had a webpage bacuase I looked them up and even asked about obtaining the equipment. Perhaps I got different treatment because they knew who I was.

Too bad. I would have loved to know who got that equipment

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Well, in regards to historical & collecting purposes, yes, that Capcom equipment would be interesting to have. But from a software restoration & preservation point of view, it is no longer of use. As we now finally have all 38 of these games decrypted & they can be properly stitched together in a non suicidal state.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Well, in regards to historical & collecting purposes, yes, that Capcom equipment would be interesting to have. But from a software restoration & preservation point of view, it is no longer of use. As we now finally have all 38 of these games decrypted & they can be properly stitched together in a non suicidal state.

They can also be reprogrammed with genuine security keys given the method to do so is now known (arcade hacker). I'm going to try and find this hdd as I think knowing who took the reprogramming equipment off Capcoms hands might be intresting.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
ITT: Noob argues with the dude who probably knows more about CPS2 than Capcom themselves.
After starting the thread in the wrong place to boot. Last I checked CPS2 was not Neo-Geo or SNK related.

sneek

Rugal's Thug

Late to the party on this one :)

Sorry Raz you're wrong on this one. Mainmain is correct that SOM colour label is 100% legit.

I've only ever seen 2 complete kits with the b board having the colour label. So looks like the OP as found one of those kits! Congrats!

Ecofighters well... we have colour, non-colour, laser printed and just a sticker written in Japanese.

Progear colour is correct too I've personally seen 2 of the 6-8 (information from Capcom themselves). They used to go for a lot less than the monochrome version when they were traded. Less desired by collectors but I personally like it better :)

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
For me its about wether the label is official or not. I have no doubt complete kits were sold with the colored label, the question is wether the label was added by Capcom or a 3rd parter seller of the kits after Capcom closed (and sold off inventory). Going on the thread as a whole there is enough info to show at minimum there has been homebrew dsom labels made just going by the pictures. Mainmans label and the OPs pictured labels are clearly different, the edges. Then there is the knowledge that buyers of Capcoms stock did receive incomplete kits. To that I add my own personal experiance of not seeing one. It makes no difference to me if the labels are genuine or not, I'm just offering my perspective given I saw something was not quite right from the very first pictures posted.

Personally if I was a collector (which I am not) I would want a blue DDSOM with the monocrome label. Going on what I now know after learning about this colored DDSOM label I would expect a kit with the monochrome label whould carry a higher street value than a kit with a colored label. Maybe this is already the case? I don't know.

sneek

Rugal's Thug
Well by "official" you mean produced by Capcom and left their distribution centre in that state then, yeah... they are "official" and no 3rd party was involved.

Caution has to be used when dealing with some of this stuff these days, considering the price value of kits has seemed to have gone through the roof.

These were being circulated amongst Capcom collectors back in the day. Back then they were around the same dollar value as the monochrome labeled kit. A collector usually favor the more rare which in this case is the coloured version.

For the record, I have both and don't wish to sell either... so I have no hidden agenda here.

However, if Strygo needs a legit monochrome label I'm sure I have a SOM in my stack :lolz:

cps2-labels.png

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Well by "official" you mean produced by Capcom and left their distribution centre in that state then, yeah... they are "official" and no 3rd party was involved.

Yes thats right, by official I mean the artwork used when Capcom released the game in USA in the ninties. Like the DDtod colored label for example.