CPS2 Label Variants

strygo

n00b
I've learned through research that Capcom USA produced boards by hand in the out years of their life. This meant that they were assembling boards by hand and in some cases repurposing old boards. This also meant that they were creating their own labels with what looks to be an ink jet printer.

In the boards that I've come across, Mighty! Pang and D&D: Shadow over Mystara are in this boat. I've learned as a result that a few USA boards have 2 or more variations of their labels. I happen to have the colored variant for D&D: SoM (as part of a kit).

I know that D&D: Shadow over Mystara and Progear have color label alternates. Do any other boards? Did this happen at all in the South American market as well?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I'm not sure where you heard this information but I do not think it is correct (color labels). It more sounds like the kind of labels some people make when they convert one CPS2 game to another to then try to sell them it for extra profit. I have never seen an original dd2 with an official color label and I do know homebrew colored labels were made for some games including dd2 that are in no way official.

strygo

n00b
Here is a photo of the 2 Shadow Over Mystara variants. This photo is from sneek's collection. My kit happens to match the red variation as well.
Dungeons%20&%20Dragons%20%20Shadow%20over%20Mystara%20U.S_(13)_Sneek.jpg

Sneek also did a Youtube video a while back, and in it, he showed two variations of Progear. Here is a capture from that video:
ckM5e0H.jpg

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Do you have a url for the video. From the pic that dd2 label does not look official at all (left one is) and as far as progear goes, Capcom supplied them with no lablels at all in most cases so I do not see that they would then make a colored label years later, espicially given its not even one of their games.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I listened to a couple of minutes of that video. I'm not sure about what he is saying about those progear boards. It's not exactly difficult for someone to knock something up and then say its ultra rare. Capcom USA handed out the screw seal stickers like no ones business for example, I have a ton here somewhere. If they gave them to me they would be giving them out to other people also (which they did when they supplied game upgrade EPROMs by post). I hope hes not been burned with prices he paid for those.

There are some ultra rare things in relation to CPS2 however. There are only two copies of the below in existance for example. My copy and the one commissioned for ssf2x tournaments in JAPAN many many years ago.

s-sfx2-e000.png

strygo

n00b
I don’t know more than what he stated in that video about the Progear variant. But the variant of SoM he documented is a different story. I have a kit in similar condition - if you are curious about anything in it, I am happy to take some photos, etc. Everything checks out - matching serial numbers, mask roms, marquee, etc.

Now that I think about it, Eco Fighters is another game with a colored label variant. I happen to have the Euro version of that game with the illustration. I believe the USA version has the simpler label with only “Eco Fighters” printed on it.

What is the screenshot that you posted? Do you have a picture of the board it came from?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I don’t know more than what he stated in that video about the Progear variant. But the variant of SoM he documented is a different story. I have a kit in similar condition - if you are curious about anything in it, I am happy to take some photos, etc. Everything checks out - matching serial numbers, mask roms, marquee, etc.

Now that I think about it, Eco Fighters is another game with a colored label variant. I happen to have the Euro version of that game with the illustration. I believe the USA version has the simpler label with only “Eco Fighters” printed on it.

What is the screenshot that you posted? Do you have a picture of the board it came from?

You have to be careful with these labels, like I say I do not trust what you are saying is truely the case. If your happy with your purchase however then its fine.

Have you ever heard the story about a special version of ssf2x used only for tournaments? Well that is a picture from it. From the outside it looks like a regular Japanese ssf2 'b' boardx, but its not, its a special 2 player only version of the game used in tournaments in Japan. I know about it because I was asked to make it. A version that playes identical to the original cycle wise which allows easier setup between games making it easier for tournament organisers.

strygo

n00b
I understand the concerns around labels, which is why I examine the totality of evidence when making my assessment.

I have heard of the Tournament Battle version of SSF2 - I have the USA version. Amazingly, that version wasn't in MAME until I contributed it a few weeks ago.

As for this version - to clarify my understanding - it's a rom hack that you made and supplied to someone in Japan for tournament play?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I understand the concerns around labels, which is why I examine the totality of evidence when making my assessment.

I have heard of the Tournament Battle version of SSF2 - I have the USA version. Amazingly, that version wasn't in MAME until I contributed it a few weeks ago.

As for this version - to clarify my understanding - it's a rom hack that you made and supplied to someone in Japan for tournament play?

In one way you can say its a hack yes. I was asked to make it by tournament organisers long long ago. It would be of no use in arcade enviroment unless the player understood its 2 player game only, there is no way to play against AI characters and the game is over once a player wins.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
As far as I know, I’ve always known that there were only 3 USA CPS2 full color label B boards. And “arguably” 4.

The original 3 “launch” titles:
Super SF2, D&D Tower of Doom, & ECO Fighters

And then Super SF2 Turbo, although it’s not nearly as colorful as the others. It’s much darker.

After the original 3, Capcom went into the lesser quality “shades of grey” labels.

And then after that, Capcom went full on cheap with crappy b/w paper quality labels.

Now it is true that Capcom did repairs on B boards but I’ve never seen labels changed by them after the fact. Software wise they sometimes even ”phoenixed” their own boards for the operators.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
As far as I know, I’ve always known that there were only 3 USA CPS2 full color label B boards. And “arguably” 4.

The original 3 “launch” titles:
Super SF2, D&D Tower of Doom, & ECO Fighters

And then Super SF2 Turbo, although it’s not nearly as colorful as the others. It’s much darker.

Off the top of my head, yes, these are the only 4 official labels that were not the normal blue monochrome color Capcom USA used.

Alot happened once Capcom USA closed and they sold their stuff off to operators to handle (who were not technically Capcom). I also heard stories they started using phoenix fixes after that happened.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
And if you look at the D&D Shadow over Mystara color label above in the pictures of this thread, it’s clearly a fake. The edges of the sticker are sharp. Every CPS2 sticker (wether full color or not) has rounded edges. I mean common man!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The D&D also looks like a bad Photoshop cut and paste job, just look at that Capcom logo on the bottom. The Progear likely is too, but done by someone more skilled in Photoshop. Also neither has the copyright text that is always on official labels.

I don't know nuttin bout no rare CPS2 stuff, but I do know printing.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
What they're saying is your kit may be legit, your label isn't.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I don't see anything in Sneek's thread that talks about Capcom using different labels. If they were indeed cobbling together last-minute kits before shutting down the operation, why would they change to a different label style? Printing off more of the existing low-color label design they've already been using is cheaper and easier than switching to a different full-color label.

I also agree 100% that I've never seen a legit kit with the small legal print missing from the label. I think it's more likely that the kits shipped with no labels at all, and that your labels were added afterward - Sneek mentions incomplete kits shipping out.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Yea I think he is not understanding that what we are getting at is the labels were not added by Capcom but probably by the person/company selling the kits after capcom USA sold off their remaining stocks to them.

strygo

n00b
“I have never seen this before.” =/= “Capcom never did this.”

Capcom was notorious for doing odd things over the life of the CPS2, especially so in certain regions. It is quite common to encounter shells where Capcom was too lazy to peel off an old label on a shell and simply slapped a new one on top for a different game. Sometimes more than once.

Ultimate Ecology was highly inconsistent in its labeling. The Japanese release typically lacks any label whatsoever and instead features a simple Katakana only “ultimate ecology” sticker. Some of the Japanese shells are green and some are blue. The Euro release features the fancy cartoon label. The USA release features the logo only one, printed on poor paper.

Mighty! Pang in Japan lacked a proper label. The USA release has the cheaper style.

Mega Man and Mega Man 2 in the USA also feature the cheaper style labels.

Here is some additional color Tyranix95 shared a while back:

Tyranix95 said:
CAPCOM did release a SOM kit with a color label on it. And, it is often refereed to as a "RED" label board.

The "RED" label board rom set fixed the thief & mage invincibility bug, which was prevalent and often exploited by gamers on the "Blue & White" labeled boards (rom sets).

Capcom games are very popular; and thus, board labels and stickers are widely re-prod, as some board owners prefer a nice looking repro label to a cruddy looking original label.

In any event, all capcom board labels are fine-print high-gloss labels, except the very last round of kits that CAPCOM USA produced before they closed up shop. Those labels were all ink-jeted (as quality control was pretty much gone too). Iirc, a guy at ARCADESHOCK (VIN?) got some of those kits.

A SOM serial number sequence comparison would provide some insight; however, it would not be definitive, as CAPCOM recycled some shells (and thus serial numbers) towards the end. So, some games could be out of sequence.

Mutation

Super Sidekicks 3
“I have never seen this before.” =/= “Capcom never did this.”

Capcom was notorious for doing odd things over the life of the CPS2, especially so in certain regions. It is quite common to encounter shells where Capcom was too lazy to peel off an old label on a shell and simply slapped a new one on top for a different game. Sometimes more than once.

Ultimate Ecology was highly inconsistent in its labeling. The Japanese release typically lacks any label whatsoever and instead features a simple Katakana only “ultimate ecology” sticker. Some of the Japanese shells are green and some are blue.

Indeed, my Ultimate Eco kit looks like that. Btw, you also have several Japanese kits with a genuine label.
So, have green and blue jap B-boards without label been refurbished ?

Pics of my kit :

7eopwKM.jpg

EDxoFR5.jpg

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
They did odd things yes but they never used a label like the one on your DDSOM board. The biggest giveaway about this would be the fact that they had no need to make a new label design when they would have had the original (Capcom Japan). The label in question is so poorly designed that it is clearly not official artwork. I don't understand why you cannot see it. This label would have been added by the person selling kits after Capcom sold off their stock.

strygo

n00b
I can see that the quality is poor - but it is no poorer than the label they used for the handful of titles I cited. If you have seen a Mega Man 2 or a Mighty! Pang, the quality of those labels are equally, if not more so, poor.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I can see that the quality is poor - but it is no poorer than the label they used for the handful of titles I cited. If you have seen a Mega Man 2 or a Mighty! Pang, the quality of those labels are equally, if not more so, poor.

I have seen hundreds of CPS2 boards over the years from boards with no labels, boards in wrong cases, boards with new stickers over old but I have never seen Capcom put out a label like that ddsom.

Capcom USA simply did not to use a label if they did not have one to hand, they certinally would not have made one like that for DDSOM. As the other info out there tells, Capcom sold off incomplete kits with matching serials. You need not look any further than the Aliens vs Predator situation to understand why they would not have used that label.

Sellers will do anything to make an incomplete kit complete when their market is collectors and not arcade operators. The reality here is as a collector you want a DDSOM with the original monochrome label (and matching serial numbers), that is the original art and what Capcom were selling to operators in the ninties, not a color label that was only created and appeared after Capcom USA closed shop. If you don't want to believe it then thats cool, but don't say you have not been told.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Who the fuck cares? They're arcade boards. just fuckin' play them.