KOF 2001

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
Decent gameplay. Subpar backgrounds and music. Just finished it for the first, and likely last, time now.

Last edited:

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
For a second there i i thought u said superb backgrounds lol. Its ashame they are dull, It does have a cool intro though and some of the best character interaction at the start of the fight

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
02 was better, with even more meh gfx.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
KOF pretty much turned to shit after 2K.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Talk about washed-out colors... the '01 Korea Stage is practically b&w. Seems SNKP anticipated the color fading craze in post-Matrix movies.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i personally don't think any of the kof games are bad, but 01 is definitely the worst for me. that said i did enjoy it immensely from when it was released all the way up to the mid to late 2000's.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
KOF pretty much turned to shit after 2K.
Other than '02 being the best game in the entire series.

Meanwhile, the two best looking entries in the series, '99 and '96, are probably the clunkiest playing KoFs ever, with 2000 only a slight improvement on '99. KOF '01 may look bad, but it's a billion times more fun to play than '99.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Great fan service with KOF-ized sprites for the strikers though.

Crazy to think even when they were going under they were still cranking out an annual KOF.

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary

Meanwhile, the two best looking entries in the series, '99 and '96, are probably the clunkiest playing KoFs ever, with 2000 only a slight improvement on '99. KOF '01 may look bad, but it's a billion times more fun to play than '99.

'98 is my favorite. And it has the American Sports Team. I play as Lucky a lot (my team is Athena, Lucky & Yuri/Terry).

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
2k1 is my fave KoF, it's technical excellence hasn't been surpassed so far. 2k2 went back to oldstyle and came up with BC cancels which are very nice and flashy and all that, they helped to make it the #1 choice for pro players but I just love the little intricacies of 2k1 and the revised striker system. It's no striker bombing á la 2k anymore, the ratio system with the option to choose up to 3 of them is combo heaven for me, and just look at the vast selection of striker charas, it's almost a KoF/SNK best-of.

Graphically and sound-wise, 2k1 falls off quite a bit from the original SNK predecessors. I remember the horror when I first saw the chara select artwork, all the charas looked like genetically mutated smurfs. Thankfully, the old sprites based on Shinkiro's work are still there. Backs are a quite mixed bag, some of them are kinda nice but can't hold a candle to the older KoFs, specially 95, 98 and 99.

I should add that 2k1 wasn't love on first sight for me, took me a while to appreciate it. When 2k1 came out, fans still moaned SNK's demise and so did I, that's why I almost had an allergic reaction to 2k1 at first. It wasn't before I sat down and really spent some quality time with it that I found out about it's finer points and fell in love with it.

Btw., there still are lotsa interesting KoF2k1 threads in Gaming, including some striker combo threads with really great stuff, check it out if you haven't already and get inspired!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

I always thought 02 was the best one as well.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
2001 had heidern, which kicked ass. I dunno, I'm not a high level player, but for a while 2001 was the only kof I had for AES and I grew to really enjoy it. I guess I should spend more time with 2002, because really I've only ever played neo wave, and disliked that one enough that I never bothered even picking up '02.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Kof 2001 also has some terrible character art. For example Chang's art is garbage.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
2002 was still pretty legit. They finally hit a semi-decent stride after 2000/2001

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
When I first saw 2k1 I thought it looked like some cheap chinese unofficial pirate edition of kof.
I found it offensive and pathetic.
The backrounds are absolutely ridiculous, considering from the beginning they had up to that point been beautiful.
But I like odd shit
And this game is odd and immensely enjoyable.
So I love it.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
i personally don't think any of the kof games are bad, but 01 is definitely the worst for me. that said i did enjoy it immensely from when it was released all the way up to the mid to late 2000's.

My thoughts exactly. 2001 is my least favorite but it’s still a fun title. I don’t play it nearly as often as the 94-2000 games, but the changes to the striker system make me return to it every now and then. I just prefer the older 3 vs 3 titles from the pre-playmore era the best. The crazy/broken combos that are possible in 2001 made for good laughs when it debuted and I was playing it heavily with friends.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I think consensus is 2k is the worst but I like it.
I found 99 to be way too subdued.
But if we are taking all kofs into account XII and XIII. Those horrible graphics

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think consensus is 2k is the worst but I like it.
Not sure if that's the consensus, since the presentation in 2K is top notch, while everyone seems to agree the music and BG's in 2K1 are shit.

I find myself revisiting 96, 99 and 2000 more now for the presentation, since I'm mostly playing 1-player, and on a purely casual level.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Not sure if that's the consensus, since the presentation in 2K is top notch, while everyone seems to agree the music and BG's in 2K1 are shit.

I find myself revisiting 96, 99 and 2000 more now for the presentation, since I'm mostly playing 1-player, and on a purely casual level.

It is the general consensus though, it being related to the appreciation of gameplay and mechanics. 2000 is regarded as relatively boring.
I like 2000 for what it is. I do think that no KOF ever had better presentation and backrounds than 94 and 96. But that's just me